Simmons Beautyrest / There is something to hide

I tested a Simmons Beautyrest mattress in Kirschmans Furniture Store in Metarie, La. The bed was wonderful in the store. I had the bed delivered on Jan. 17, 2004. It was a Simmons Beautyrest Avenue edition bed. Also purchased was the recommended bed frame and mattress pad. The bed was fine for about two months, then I noticed that it started to sag and cause back aches. I contacted Kirschmans about the problem several times, as the recorded info for Simmons warranty advises you to do. I received no response. This went on for about 2 years. I finally got someone from Kirschmans to assign a service ticket for the bed to be inspected. No one showed up nor called.

I since had to move from La., due to hurricane Katrina, to California. I contacted Simmons directly and filed the claim. Simmons sent someone out from Sleepteks to inspect the bed. The inspector used a metal measuring tool, placed it across the bed and specifically told my finance and I that there was "definitely a defect with this bed." He further advised that we should call Simmons if we don't hear from them within a weeks time.

I received a letter from Simmons stating that they would not warranty the bed because the there was a red tint on the surface of the mattress. This tint was cause from using red sheets on the bed. Furthermore, they stated that they would not warranty the bed due to it not being in an approved frame, even though the bed was used in a frame recommended by the furniture store. We purchased a new bedroom set approximately 3 months prior to the inspection, which has more cross member support than the metal frame it was purchased with. Simmons further stated that the bed depression wasn't sufficient enough to warrant replacing the bed. I asked to have the tech report sent to me which Simmons denied. They stated that it was property of Simmons and "none of my business."

Simmons is only looking for ways to not cover their product. When we buy merchandise we as consumers should feel confident that we are buying quality and have the assurance of the warranty, which is one of the selling points. I feel that Simmons has misrepresented itself and feel that their actions are despicable.

Additional note: After telling Simmons reps about the conversation with Sleepteks rep. They said that he was not supposed to tell anyone about the findings and that they would look to have him fired. I believe that there is something to hide with that statement alone.

Please respond with further complaints or any advise on this matter smb!!!

Comments

22nd of Apr, 2007

I agree with you completely. My husband and i bought the simmons/bradley/exceptionable, king size for nearly $2600.00 and that d*** thing broke down after only 6 months. Sagging and you wouldn't believe the yellowish stains all over the mattress. And believe me, it's not human stains, if you know what i mean. I couldn't tell you how many times i called with no response. It has now been 5 yrs. And I'm sure it's not covered now. We have no idea who to contact to get results in this matter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Bo
      29th of May, 2007

We just purchased a Simmons Beautyrest queen size set in March 2007 and by April 2007 (only 1 month) it had 3" body depressions in the head and center of the mattress. We purchased it from Vermeulen's in Jackson, Michigan for $1,299. When we called for service all they wanted was the "law tags" that we didn't have. The service rep said it looked defective but he never followed through with us. No one has ever returned our calls and the "poor girl" in the service department only says "sorry". You're right - we're sorry. Sorry we purchased a Simmons Beautyrest and sorry we did business with Vermeulen's Furniture. We asked to talk to the owner and he's always in a meeting or out on errands. So, we're going to small claims court.

15th of Aug, 2007

I also bought a simmions beautyrest cal-king mattress, with a lot of the same results, sagging and the bed rail has broken twice in 3 and a half years. Supposed to be warranty of ten years had an inspector come out and was denied replacement, because of a small burn mark on the mattress. What the hell does a burn mark have to do with crappy manufacturing??? You can sure bet that i will never purchase any simmions products ever again. Also sleepteks inspector was very unprofessional and acted like an ###, so as far as i am concerned you people at sleeptek suck...

• So
      28th of Dec, 2007

I bought a Simmons Westerkerk California King in April 2006. I am 5'8" 150 lbs. I am physically fit and don't have physical problems. My 55 pound dog sleeps near me. I was told by the mattress company that this combined weight was well beyond the limit of what this bed would hold. By this summer, 2007, my back and hips began to hurt so much I was thinking there was something wrong with me. I even went to the doctor and had an x-ray. She told me not to lift anything heavy, so I have cut back on doing so. It seems crazy because I have never had problems lifting and carrying things but I gave it a go. It's now December and my back still hurts and is getting worse! I finally figured out it's the mattress! It sags so much in the middle that I can barely turn over at night. My hips hurt so much to turn over, it takes my breathe away. The pain in my back seems to be radiating from my hips. Rather than my hip pain coming from my back. I just checked how far the mattress is sagging and I would estimate it's 4-5 inches. I doubt I'll get any refund or replacement based on everyone's comments here. Also, I didn't buy their boxsprings. Mine were only a few years lold and in like new condition. I was told at the time that my warranty is void if I didn't buy them. So this $3000 bed (I paid $1800 on sale) is now worthless. I cannot believe how badly it sags and how poorly it has held up. I will not buy another Simmons bed regardless of the model.

• Up
      8th of Jan, 2008

We also have had problems with the Simmons Beautyrest. We have had two of them, both bad. We had our bed for ten years, even thought it was not bad, we decided since both my husband and myself have back problems, it was time to buy a new bed. We purchased a California King Simmons Beauty rest because of the name and thought it had a good reputation. After only about 3 months the bed had big sags. We called the furniture store and they were very helpful in getting us on touch with the mattress rep. They came out and after much arguing, they agreed to take back the bed telling us it had a rare defect. They would not refund our money but said we could get another bed from them, an improved model. Relunctant, we agreed. Again, after a few months we started to see sags. Calls to the reps went unanswered. After talking with many store owners, and others, we find that many people have been having the same problems with Simmons Beautyrest. It is unacceptable that one pays thousands of dollars for a bed that is of such poor quality.

We now have ordered a special bed made for us from Day Bed and Mattress in Santa Cruz. They made one side a litle softer for my husband and one a little firmer for me. The top zips open so if our needs change the bed can be adjusted. They use the highest qualiy materials in their beds and stand by them. We will never even consider another Simmons Beauty Rest mattress and will tell everyone we know about this problem.

• Je
      23rd of Jan, 2008

We bought the Simmons Beautyrest Westerkerk mattress in July 2006 and after about a year it started to sag. This mattress cost $3,300 and is supposed to be a non-flip mattress that is an "ultra super pillow top latex ultra plush" model. We did not purchase the box spring but did put the required wood slats underneath to provide proper support. Sleeptek is supposed to come next week to inspect it. I am betting money that they will say because we didn't purchase the box spring that our warranty is invalid. I am so glad I read all the other complaints however because I am armed to go back to Simmons and complain in a legal format. My husband and I are both in physical therapy for our lower back SI problems. It is a direct result of this stupid mattress!!!

1st of Mar, 2008

My story is almost a carbon copy of what everyone else has said. Saggging causing major back pain and resless nights. I bought my mattress 60 days ago and have been complaining since day one. The sales person sold me on the warranty. I do have an indent/defecit in my bed, however, after 2 months it's a quarter short of their 1 1/2 inch warranty. I guess I figure it will only take days before I get there, yet you can have an inspection every 6 months. I cant sleep on this mattress because no sleep is acually gotten. My PULL OUT couch is providing me a better sleep. I have TRIED to make contact with all people they have directed me to, but I seem to only get recordings and incorrect extension numbers. As consumers do we have any right?

21st of Apr, 2008

I have written to the BBB in Georgia (where Simmons bedding is based) and basically they just relayed the messages back and forth between the company and I. When the company decided to just close the case BBB relayed the results and close the case. I don't think that it is fair that this business or any other business for the matter, can promise any customer whatever they feel and just renege whenever they feel. There should be penalties or consumer protection laws in place. I was advised to contact the consumer affairs governors office for them to investigate, but I don't think one voice will be enough.

21st of Apr, 2008

Furthermore, make sure you go to Consumeraffairs.gov for georgia. Make note that it is not the same as .com.

• Lo
      9th of May, 2008

I have the sags on both sides of the bed, I bought the Simmons rejuvenate lumbar
    back support. Non flip. I called the simmons number off the web site there is a recording that tells you to contact the place of purchase but we have moved from
    Florida to South Carolina. They sent someone out to measure the sags. He told me he works for four different mattress companies and 95% are about sags. ours measured
    13/4 and 1 1/2 inches. He said generally speaking it needs to be at least 1 1/2
    He told me they usually give a credit voucher or a new mattress. The person that answered the phone said that the majorityof complaints were about sags, so Simmons
    are well aware of the problem. I suggest each person call BBB they need a certain number of complaints before they will take action. Also call the news stations in your area 5 on your side ABC, CBS, NBC all have cunsumer help. The person I talked to said she was in Atlanta Georgia. My matress states it was made in Charlotte, NC. Mine still had all the tags attached. I am waiting for a response as they just inspected it today.Bought july 2004 today May 9th 2008. Keep mking calls and complaints you will find RESULTS!!! God Bless All.With a good night sleep.

• Ml
      1st of Jun, 2008

I just purchased the Granite model of the Simmons Beautyrest mattress from sleep country canada (extra firm mattress) and am super worried. I just got the mattress today and the seams are already coming apart! I am totally afraid now about the near non-existent warranty and sagging.

• Na
      11th of Jun, 2008

Was the Sleeptek's inspector's name Ken? He did the same thing to us with the metal rod (which was taped together and totally flimsy. He also lied repeatedly about himself, winking the whole time as if things were fine. He lied blatantly in his report to Sealy about our Stearns & Foster mattress inspection. He did none of the things he told them he did during our inspection. He didn't even turn over the mattress! He had no business card, so he wrote down telephone numbers that were not the ones on Sleeptek's web site. When we complained, Sealy said he was a great employee who'd had no complaints ever in his years of inspecting? (He told us he was retired and took the job because he had to get out of the house once in awhile). Sealy said we could wait 90 days or pay $45 and get another inspection from him immediately. What a joke Sealy customer “support” is, about as much of a joke as their mattress “support”! What a con man Ken is! Con men just love Nevada! Which is where Sleeptek does business from (with nothing but a Post Office Box to boot…). Don’t expect anything from them.

• Ir
      8th of Nov, 2008
    iris simmons - debiting my credit card without my premission
    luminious teeth whiting
    Stone Mountain
    Georgia
    Phone: 404-592-5734

I signed up for a $4.99 introductory tooth whitening kit, not an $88.97 unauthorized debit to my account! That money is grocery money for 5 teenagers! THE NERVE!! Never again will I buy something like this online!!! I had better see a credit and TODAY!...

21st of Nov, 2008

I bought a Simmons Beautyrest West Hampshire model in 2002. The mattress is supposed to have a 10 year warranty. I contacted Simmons when an area of the bed was not providing support when I laid on it. The company sent someone out to look who took measurements and pictures. Simmons then told me that it was not a manufacturing defect and that the pillowtop was contouring to my shape. I tried to explain to them that it is not the indentation/compaction of the pillowtop, but the lack of support provided by the springs in the mattress. BUT, no one in their customer service department could comprehend my statements. I have now filed a complaint with the BBB.

• Ph
      25th of Jan, 2009

I totally agree. I am having the same issue with Simmons as I write. I called and reported an issue nearly two years ago. Just recently I finally got them to send out a local tech to inspect the mattress. He conceded after the test that the mattress was sagging beyond the allowable limit. He indicated that Simmons would send out a letter in a "week or so." That was a month ago and I have heard nothing...

• Bu
      2nd of Mar, 2009

I have the same issues. They are crooks. I am all in if someone starts a class action law suit. I have pictures, evidence and a near perfect mattress that is sinking 2 inches . Just erect a web site and I will find it!

3rd of Mar, 2009
    Simmons - Not Really A Complaint
    No One in Particular
    New York

There has been one thing that I noticed when people complain about the bedding they purchased. I noticed that people fail to include in their complaint the full make and model of the bedding and if they purchased the mattress and box spring or just the mattress. This information is extremely helpful to the consumer. Blaming the company in full is not the way to go when you just had a bad experience with one particular model, customer service rep., whatever. I don't believe that makes the company that makes the beds bad to deal with. I sell beds for a living and maybe our company is different but, whenever one of our customers has a problem with a bed they purchased from us, we are more than happy to rectify the situation ASAP. Most of the time the problem is a comfort issue and they don't give the bed time to break in. Other times, they don't purchase the box spring that was meant for the mattress so they get sagging and then there are the occassional manufacturers defects. I have noticed that a great deal of people when they shop for a mattress they look at price. That's NOT how you shop for comfort. You have to lay down on the mattress for a couple of minutes to get a feel for the mattress. Pick a couple of very comfortable beds, then work on pricing. YOU CAN'T PUT A PRICE ON COMFORT OR A GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP!! So PLEASE!! Think about what I just said before criticizing a company for one defective product. You can say something bad about a lot of beds from all manufacturers, but you can also say a lot of good things about them as well.

• My
      15th of Oct, 2017

@Bedding Sales Nice try. I LOVE my nine year old ComforPedic Mystere. I bought an adjustable bed as the base. Both work fine together.
    I recently asked and was informed that this mattress would be fine by itself on a platform bed. So, how can Simmons reject sagging mattresses due to not having the "right" frame for it?

• Te
      5th of Mar, 2009

These mattresses are simply the WORST. We've had to replace ours THREE times in the last eight years, forking out big money each and every time. We've complained to the distributor (Sleep Country USA), which said that the sagging is NORMAL. I asked, "Doesn't that speak to the need to get a mattress you can flip in order to minimize the routine weight wear?" We were told, "No, these mattresses don't need to be flipped - that's the beauty of them. . . " Blah, blah, blah, blah. . . Whatever it takes to make the sale. In the meantime, my husband and I routinely wake up with significant back, hip and neck pain that's only getting worse. My question is this - which mattresses perform better??? Not even ConsumerReports.org has a comparitive analysis available!

• De
      12th of Mar, 2009

Add me to the list . I purchased a Beautyrest Exceptionale cost $1800. Within 3 years the backaches started. We never thought it could be related to this relatively new mattress. Indeed it was. Lucky for us we purchased this mattress through Carson Pirie Scott. They sent out an inspector and he said we did qualify for a new mattress, he said it must be defective. My new Beautyrest Black "Edaline"was delivered this morning. It was an additional $300. for this model. I hope I don't regret getting another Simmons. Up until reading these posts I had assumed my experience was unusual and isolated. The one thing that I am confident about is Carson's customer service if I experience problems again.

• Ol
      23rd of Mar, 2009
    Simmons - Bad product
    Simmons

We owned the above mentioned mattress a very short time when it began to sag on both sides. When it was still less than two years old I made a claim with Simmons. They sent out a form with specific instructions for measuring the "gullies". The deepest depression was approx. 1". Simmons has denied the claim stating that this is normal and to be expected. They say it is contouring to the shape of our bodies. Several letters have gone back and forth to no avail. They seem to be responding to me in a preset manner and refuse to do anything to help me. The bed is completely uncomfortable and we are really forced to sleep in the deep gullies.