ServiceMagic.Com / Scam and deceptive advertising!

1 1425 Main St.Denver, CO, United States Review updated:
Phone: 303-550-0890

Sales man david reed claims to be able to hook your website for your business to hundreds of other pages and sites and promises that your website will be directly linked to service magics site free of charge as soon as you sign on. They list only the beneficial ratings of companies, and through 'direct match' wash there hands of bogus leads. Before you sign up for the service it is promised that they filter leads both coming in and also going to the contractors. Once your signed on they then claim its just advertising. Fraud comes to mind.

They claim they do checking and research for licenses in the areas you wish to serve, false claim and to prove it I was able to add Iowa for my line of work who requires contractor licenses for the state, but I wasn't able to add minnesota who does not require any licensing for my line of work. They offer there so called services in all 50 states of the United States, the goods or promises they make are vigerious 10 point screening. (more like 3 point screening)

What they call a Ten point inspection turns out to be a check for insurance to make it look good and a check on the contractors routing number along with the account numbers. Another false thing they do is tell you leads are direct match, but in fact they sent that same $30 to $60 lead to roughly 3 customers on average, equals about $180 per lead for them, and a piss off customer that go's with someone else completely do to being bombed with calls. Injury to my bank account and my reputation is on the line for buying into there sales pitch, empty fraudulent promises.

This company is immoral, unethical, oppressive, unscrupulous; and substantially can injure consumers and contractors alike by mismatching professionals the consumer believes to be qualified, contractor that is slow on work that is having a rough time, by being mismatch and potentially running there reputations.

End result, out of work contractor that may have been legit for there original field, an unhappy customer that has to pay more a second tine to have work done twice, and the people that run ServiceMagic a few dollars richer off this miss portion of others. They fail to disclose material fact at the time of sale of profiles to the consumers who later in the system are the contractors, also to the home owner slash consumer that hires these screened professionals.

They also speak against other lead companies saying how they can't do anything for anyone, (Product disparagement). The whole things built in bad faith.

Va

Comments

Kr
  25th of Aug, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

This guy is stupid. He doesn't know what he is talking about. I am a sales rep at servicemagic. I have quotas and sometimes do not meet these quotas becuase of setbacks like licensing requirements, dba's, Inc's or LLC's not being in good status, etc! We do everything to verify that a company is legit. This is just another contractor that didn't ask the right questions at the right times. Why is it that SM has over 52, 000 contracting businesses w/o any long term committments? If theses contractors were not doing well they would all cancel right. With all of you that are filing complaints against us talk with someone that has made millions of dollars from us. Why is it that he is doing well and so many others fail. The people who do good work and gain referrals from the jobs they win. ServiceMagic only gets paid once in this circumstance and that is just good business. I happen to have a business degree and know a ton about business in general. Many of the contractors who start their own business are not businessmen they are contractors and that is why they fail! Consider the benefits of what we are able to do. Consider the fact that this is not something you can just jump into or you will end up like the guy above. Ask the right questions, learn how to manipulate us, then you will find that SM is your best friend.

Ms
  15th of Apr, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes

### yah

De
  21st of May, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I have been a dealer for Service Magic since they first came to Canada and I can honestly say that they have been nothing but amazing at customer service. They are fast and efficient. We have been very successful in providing service to the clients that have been referred to us. I find these clients very educated, they know what they want and are a pleasure to work with.

All I can say is keep up the great work Service Magic by offering quality trades to the consumer.

Da
  13th of Jun, 2009

I have read nothing but bad reviews about this company from contractors to home owners. with all the different feedback I have read I can tell you they are a sales driven enviroment. look at there mission statement. here is the link http://www.servicemagic.com/rfs/aboutus/ourMission.jsp they dont care about either of their customers all they care about is making money. I know a guy who worked there and was fired for not meeting their revenue generating goals, they pay there customer service reps commission if they can sell you another service, to me that is bad customer service if you want something you will go find it right? why should you be harassed by these people in trying to get you in contact with another contractor. stay away from this company if you dont they will drive you crazy and take advantage of you, go find a better company to do business with. to me servicemagic sucks.

Kc
  15th of Jul, 2009

i have same problem with service magic

Kc
  15th of Jul, 2009

wach out from this people

Ne
  9th of Sep, 2009

"This guy is stupid. He doesn't know what he is talking about. I am a sales rep at servicemagic. "

This is exactly what a servicemagic employee would say... With this aggressive behavior you are to banned from all networks. I'm putting so much effort to fix the damages your company has done to many of my current clients and the the online marketing business in general, that it is completely unbelievable that you people even TRY to raise your heads above the swamp you're in!!!

Do not get me started with real life examples what this lame company has done so far, i got proof - links, screen shots of inaccurate info, using home address instead of business one, selling or providing third parties with client info, negative comments when people try to resent your services, etc.

Servicemagic - you are a bunch of thieves and liars - get a regular job instead of stealing money for "leads" from people that actually "work".

Ch
  28th of Sep, 2009

servicemagic sounds shady

Ri
  7th of Oct, 2009

I'm offering an alternative to ServiceMagic. Community based. Free.

ContractorSolutionNetwork.com brings Pros & Homeowners together. Pros can find new business for free. Check us out @ http://ContractorSolutionNetwork.com.

Contractor Solution Network helps Roofers, Dry Wallers, Landscapers, Architects, HVAC, Carpenters, Plumbers, Electricians, and more. If you're a home service professional, you should be on ContractorSolutionNetwork.com.

Gi
  24th of Oct, 2009

http://ContractorSolutionNetwork.com.????? Where is your screening? Do you let anyone on your site?

Gi
  25th of Oct, 2009

Also, I wouldn't go as far as saying this particular service pro is stupid...but, there is a reason why some just don't make it. As my fellow coworker stated above; there are some that are good business men and some that are just good at what they do. As for me, I get the pleasure of working with the consumers. Sometimes I get the pleasure of calling some of our contractors, and I must say I am not impressed when they answer the phone and say " Hello" instead of "Bob the Builder Home Buiding. How can I help you?". Professionalism is the first step! Also, contractors not showing up on time or at all is our biggest complaint, so i would have to say the 2nd step is to do what you say, say what you do! If you tell a customer you are going to call them or be there then do it, and if not be courteous enough to tell them. Both the contractors and consumers have tools provided to them to make wise decisions to be successful and to help every project along smoothly, it's just up to you to listen and utilize them.

I have worked there for over 2 years and I am proud to work there! Never have I worked anywhere that is so customer service oriented! Of course the company expects revenue ITS A BUSINESS! However, I have fun there and enjoy each and every customer I come in contact with! That guy " Dan" wanted to post a link to our guiding principles, but I thought it would be better to paste them for everyone to see just how "awful" it is (gosh, I don't know how I have put up with this place for 2 years):

Guiding Principles:
Serve Our Customers - We seek all customer comments and complaints, and firmly believe that every interaction is an opportunity to create a customer for life. We listen, we care, and we act to exceed their expectations and provide the best customer experience possible.
Get It Done Through Teamwork - We believe the team is stronger than the individual. We rely on the collective talent and creativity of each team member and partner to continuously improve. We treat every team member with honesty, candor, and respect. Most importantly, we celebrate our team victories and have fun every day.
Innovate to Win - We must constantly reinvent ourselves and challenge assumptions that limit our opportunities. We strive to anticipate future customer needs and then we solve what may seem unsolvable. We are not afraid of taking risks and making mistakes because the knowledge and experience that is gained will fuel our future breakthrough innovations.
Create Superior Value - We cherish our precious human and capital resources. We focus on doing the right work at the right time and wisely deploy our resources at all times. We are committed to creating superior value for all ServiceMagic stakeholders including our customers, partners, investors, employees and the communities in which we serve.

Pl
  16th of Nov, 2009

not all they say they are but sure beats yellow pages advertising . some leads are bogus and asking for credits is a pain and their new policy of advertising unscreened plumbing professionals on the same page we have to pay extra (need to have exact match leads ) is b.s.. why are these non members getting the benefit of the site but we have to pay for it? but on the other hand i have made some money off the calls i received and im still here after 4 yrs

Me
  25th of Nov, 2009

I've been a ServiceMagic customer on the business side for several years and I agree it can be a pain, but you need to learn to work the system! Just like with online adwords and keywords, you find out what works for you and what doesn't and adjust accordingly. Earlier this year we shut-off all our categories except 1 because the leads we were getting were all price-driven and we weren't going to play that game. We'll be around and those that low-ball won't be able to pay the bills after awhile. (Many are already gone) The 'rep' above is correct - many customers I have dealt with complain other companies matched to them didn't show, or remark later on our professionalism in some way. Just look at our 4.7 rating and our 22(ish) reviews! http://www.incontrolhome.com/?page_id=36
So many tradesmen out there are merely self-employed persons, versus a business. They don't know how to *be* a business, and that hurts them. If you are calling "Bob" because he does it all, then usually he expects you to know that, already! But the customer doesn't and even though we are technically a mom-n-pop with 1 tech, I always answer with our business name.
Just a few thoughts for anyone researching. This is certainly not the greatest lead source ever, and you still have to go out and promote your business yourself! No one is going to just hand you customers, though sometimes I think many people expect ServiceMagic, the internet/adword campaigns, et al to do just that.

Ma
  3rd of Dec, 2009

I have been with servicemagic for over 2 months now and have been satisfied beyond belief. I just started my own company and in these 2 months have been able to get my company off the ground and have made more money than ever to support my family thanks to servicemagic. So anybody thats a sceptic or wants to talk bad about servicemagic probably hasent made any money bidding their jobs too high or being a customer thats choosing the wrong contractor for their work. I am a honest family man with a wife and kids at home, I dont scam anybody and I wont be scammed. Thats why I am still with servicemagic and plan on being for a long time to come. Do more research before you complain.

Bb
  22nd of Dec, 2009

Dont do it, I did and I regret it...you keep paying and nothing...the people on the site are tires kickers.

Mi
  6th of Apr, 2010

You know there is another company out there that's hot on Service Magic's heals and it's CalFinder.

If you want information about their contractors and how they select them check em out at www.calfinder.com

I haven't heard nearly the negative comments about them as I have about Service Magic.

As for tire kickers CalFinder vets out all of those types...they have a whole department contacting leads and throwing out the ones who are not serious.

Me
  7th of Apr, 2010

Calfinder.com, according to my peers at ContractorTalk.com, is far worse. It costs disgustingly more and the lead quality is the same as SM or worse!
The online lead selling game is a shell game. They sell the same leads to multiple people, sometimes through multiple company names, and charge each one of them the same price (or more) for it! They make out while we are left to chase our tails and call people night/day hoping they'll return the call. I've given up on that part, myself. I have never had a better than 50% return on leads, meaning out of my best catagories for getting leads, no more than 50% of them did I get to even bid. Some you never get to even talk to! I stopped the exact matches for this reason. Just because you don't get competition from other SM companies directly, doesn't mean the homeowner is only gonna deal with you. They can be getting bids from a friend's recommendation, etc. You are often times only there as a 'requirement'. For $75, I want to know for sure they are going to use me!

I haven't got anything off the new direct-sales thing they've started. We'll see how that goes down.

Ti
  6th of Jul, 2010
ServiceMagic.Com - No service, stay away
ServiceMagic.com

I am SO glad I didn't pay for servicemagic. The contractor I ended up getting for a concrete job is a total scam artist. He has changed contractor licenses every time a lawsuit is attached to his bond. He uses his different family members that have a good reputation and no bad record and creates a new company. The 10-point check that ServiceMagic does is completely ridiculous and anyone can look the info they provide for free! I will NEVER use this service again...especially since they charge the contractors for every "lead" they provide. That is completely ridiculous.

When I had a problem with my "pro" I tried to contact my "personal assistant" who never bothered to return my call. I called them and finally reached someone who was going to help me. She listed to my complaint, said she'd call the contractor and try to straighten out the fact that he didn't bother to show up when he said. Never heard from her again. Called back and left numerous messages...I give up. Contractor finally finished the job but it was definitely not done well!

Al
  17th of Aug, 2010

Service Magic is bad for business. Turn off your lead option every week or it turns on by its self. They wanted me to go to jobs that my trade doesn’t do and still charged me for them. When they sent me e-mails to give a customer a bid I would call the customer and they said that they have enough companies coming out to bid and don't need anymore. I called customer service and they still charged me. I am now on a mission to call all the companies on there site or email them about what happened to me. If you are a co worker of service magic you are not going to talk crap about the people who are paying your bills so you really do not have any say in the matter. Until you are a business owner and not an employee then you can talk. Word of mouth for my company killed service magic Leeds and I will continue to let my new customers know about this unexceptable behavior. This company does not represent the American business owner to me but that’s for you to decide.

Sh
  17th of Mar, 2011

Yeah, that sounds like a scam to me. And when I say that I mean a dangerous one. Why would anyone believe those outlandish claims?