Santander USA Auto Finance / poor practices

1 MN, United States Review updated:

Within the past two years, we used a product from a company as a temporary solution to buy a truck. It was a high interest loan which we intended to refinance. With the current economic conditions, loss of employment etc. We were not able to refinance that loan.in addition, I have recently been deployed to iraq. Under the soldiers and sailors debt protection act we requested that the interest be reduced to the six percent as conditioned underneath that act. Santander has flatly refused to do so.in addition, customer service was unecessarily rude with my wife when she called to follow up on a letter that santander felt uncompelled to answer. We have made approx. 24 payments each and every payment on time or prior to the date it was due. At some point I would think that santander would view us as a good customer. Way to go santander and a outstanding job backing your country.

Comments

• Dt
      14th of Oct, 2010

Actually, Sandander customer service is in Texas. So is the auto division. They recently bought HSBC's auto divison, which was in NY, I think.
    Anyway, it doesn't matter where the company is... If they do business in the United States, they must adhere to all Federal and State regulations.
    However, I believe the Sailors Act (SSCRA) only pertains to a mortgage on a primary dwelling, rent if payment is less than 1200, and credit cards. It also delays action on certain civil processions, such as foreclosure, bankruptcy, or divorce

Also, the spouse may still be held liable for the debt.

To learn more about these or other provisions of the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act, contact your unit or installation legal assistance office.