Sally Beauty Supply / worst place to work

1 Virginia, MN, United States Review updated:

This is the WORST Company in the world to work for. They do not care about their employees-"we can be replaced" Their words. The pay is the absoloute worst. The Co always brags about how much money THEIR making but pay the employees who make that money for them crap, which is why they have a constant turnover in employees. You can't get all your vacation pay when you FINALLY do get to take a vacation. your job is threatened everyday if you can't sell their stupid items of the month. which by the way are the same tired crap every month, or their beauty club cards which are not worth the money the customer has to pay cuz they can only save UP to 10%. They expect you to freeze in the winter-thermostat not above 68 and sweat in the summer-thermostat not below 78. You can't get sick-it's not allowed, you're expected to be at their beck & call even on your days off and heaven help you if you already have plans, or are not at home when they call. The district manager is a ### who never does anything but cause problems, i sure have never seen her solve any. The VP is Rude and talks to associates like they are peices of crap beneath his feet. Employees are constantly accused of stealing with no proof. As far as raises, forget it, you will NEVER get a decent raise in this Company-maybe if you're lucky you might get 10 cent. And you get all this for $7.25 an hr-starting pay. It will take you yrs to ever reach $8.00. They say they offer great benefits-another lie-they only hire pt and you get NO benefits. If you work over your allotted hrs for the week the manager will go into payroll & change your time, which is illegal but is done all the time. Their products are 2nd rate knockoffs and they are constantly upping their prices because they feel the customer has no other beauty supply store to frequent. They put used products back on the shelf to be resold. they offer you scratch off cards to win, which are a ripoff as the prizes are not worth what they add to your income for-so how is that winning anything? The Manager reaps all the rewards, the trips, prizes ect while the employees that won those things for the manager get NOTHING. People realy should boycott this company and teach them a lesson.

Comments

• B3
      26th of May, 2011

I worked for Sally Beauty Supply for a year. The manager ALWAYS chooses mornings because they control the schedule. That means that you will always get stuck with evenings and weekends.
    Girls stole hairspray and used products. They did coke in the back. Found out one girl had a venereal disease and I shared the restroom with her. They talked about nasty stuff all the time.
    My manager was nice but moody, as was another manager I worked for. You get in trouble when it is inventory time. See there aren't any real cameras so when the gangsters steal the goods, you can't do anything about it. So you get canned for other people stealing.
    Oh and if you get caught sitting down because you've been standing for 6 hours and you are finished with all your work you get fired. Sometimes if you eat in the back room for your break, you will be asked to do stuff even though you aren't getting paid. Try to go somewhere else for your break. I had to fill in for people all the time and when I needed someone to cover me they wouldn't. Pay sucks even for managers.

• Na
      26th of May, 2011

I cannot believe the stuff you both are writing, I have worked for Sally Beauty for over 16 years!! Most employees always complain about the pay and of course everyone would love more. There is not even a 10 cent raise, your raise depends on how you work and how much you have been willing to learn. If these things are really happening in the stores you worked in then the employees, managers, dms and above are not doing their jobs, and if you had these problems you should have reported it to someone. I have 7 managers that have been with me for over 10 years and 4 for over 5 years. Also I have over 13 employees that have been with us for over 5 years. Also you are entitled to a lunch when you work over 5 hrs and no one bothers you on your lunch, we do not expect you to work whenon your lunch or break.
    Sally does care about their employees, part time employees can get health benefits, paid vacations, discounts and free product everyy month! Also the Beauty Club card offers more than a discount on products, they get extra coupons and free products when they renew. Our products compare to some name brand products and we stand behind our products 100%.
    I believe you must have been terminated for something you have done or you would not have written what you have.
    Sally's is a great place to work and a very growing stable complany!!!
    Managers can not change some ones payroll punches it is against company policy, there are guide lines for the thermostat but they are allowed to be set to make the customer happy.

• Sh
      26th of Jul, 2017

@Nancy T I'll have to agree with you...I have been employed with Sally Beauty Supply for the last five years. I can only say good things about the company. Considering the fact that I have an amazing store and district manager, nothing but good has come my way. I volunteered to help out at a store that was short staffed, not only did I receive a dollar raise, I was paid .50 cents per mile for the distance traveled to that store which totaled to be $53.47 a day! Not to mention the mileage reimbursement was paid in cash, each day. As far as IOM's and EPP's go it's all in what you make it! Of course every company has specific quotas and goals to meet...that's what keeps the company making money, it's all business. As long as you show up to work on time, know what you talking about, and take the initiative to get things done, you have nothing to worry about! The company would love to have experienced workers who enjoy what they do. After all, there's nothing worse than having someone continue to call out, leaving all the responsibilities on other workers. If you don't want to be there then give up your position. There's always someone looking for a job and don't mind getting it done.

• Vt
      9th of Dec, 2017

@Nancy T Please offer contact information to someone an employee can contact about issues with time abuse. sick time off requests being denied do to being on probation on my last month of the 6 month probation. also, not given the 15 min break. Please help

• Ad
      13th of Sep, 2011

I agree some what with the complaint. I was manager for 2 years and I agree its low paying and its easy to steal from sally's when there is no one watching the customers or if employess work alone with no manager. I never bothered anyone while on there break so its a manager issue with that. If you work at a lower volume store with less hours it can be very hard to get a day off as a manager. I agree that the short staff in 90 hour stores get asked to cover for call outs and its up to the employess to cover for eachother. As for the standing Im sorry but you should get a break in between but standing is what retail is. I stand 8 hours a day or more with one break. Its part of working. Get comfortable shoes cause I wouldnt allow any of my employess to sit while on the clock.
    I left sallys because of upper management. No support and constant harrassment from my DM even when my store numbers/quotas where the best in the district. I found out real quick that my DM has her favorite managers and if you are not a pet you are left to deal with issues on your own. She rarely called back when you left messages and she spent most of her time in her her favorite manager stores. If you had a problem and it was bad enough to make her look bad with her TM, she would make sure to write you up on anything trivial to get even. I worked for a month with not a single day off due to employees getting fired for stealing or leaving or being transferred to another store, yet no help came my way. Her answer to my call for help was call around and see if any other stores can spare an employee, which was always a no since all stores run on a tight schedual. It got so bad I called HR to complain and I was told she should not be doing this. After my phone call she let up a bit. But was of no help when I had issues needing her to help me.
    Personally I cannot manage a store affectively if you are being harrassed and bullied and given no support. So I left for another retail industry that believed in a balance of work and home life. I am much happier and get the training and support to affectively manage my store.

• St
      4th of Nov, 2011
    Best Best Advice +5 Votes

Sally's beauty supply is one of the worst places to work. yes the abuse employees, they discriminate against men in our district because the dm says men steal. this company is run by men but yet she doesn't hire any. and yes managers do edit times even though its against the law.they make you clock out and still count down drawers and work. An employee at our store had to ask the dm in front of customers to stop asking her about other employees personal lives. she gossips about employees with other employees. if you are not part of the clique you are treated like ###. this dm doesn't hire any minority managers. shes discriminates against minorities and gay people. Managers in her district are all related or know each other, . So yes its true, in south Carolina yes the dm is racist and discriminates against several people. this is fact and not opinion. Sally's beauty supply allows all this as corporation because after countless complaints is still around.

• Di
      20th of Mar, 2012

sounds like to me the folks who are complaining were the ones who got in trouble at work and are looking for revenge

• Ad
      21st of Mar, 2012

Informing the public of unfair working conditions and legalized slavery of managers would not constitute someone as looking for revenge. I understand that not all Districts are run the same way and there are most likely very happy managers and employees out there that love there job and have supportive upper management, however I also believe the company turns there heads to problems in there company they know is going on. There are TMs and DMs that are terrible at there jobs and do the bare minimum of what is required to earn there paycheck. This causes a spiraling affect that spreads all the way down the management chain. This company has no system to regulate TM and DM job performance towards lower management. They are free to harrass, terrorize, threaten, and intimidate all lower management as they see fit. Even though my numbers where best in the district I was not one of the DM's pet Managers and so I was subject to all the nastiness she could dish out. These are the facts and there are others out there that are afraid to speak in fear of losing there jobs if they do. I am the voice of those who cannot speak themselves.

• Aw
      10th of Apr, 2013

I can say that I would 110% agree with the complaint against Sally's. I was a manager there for 2 years.. I only worked in the Sally's company for a total of 2-1/2 years. It was, by far, the worst working experience ever. The only reason why Sally's is still around is because they treat their customers REALLY well. Employees are another story. My DM was a two faced liar. Her work ethics were beyond unethical. She had favorite managers that she would allow them to do whatever they wanted and would "look" the other way on their behavior but would fire the other employees for the same thing. One time, I had an employee text my cell phone saying "not coming into work".. my DM instructed me to call HR to get that employee fired and to not mention anything to the HR rep about the text message. I did as I was instructed.. oh and trying to get ahold of HR is a joke since there is only ONE rep for ALL 5, 000 Sally Stores... anyway, days later my DM shows up at my store with a write up for ME because I was not forthcoming with correct information and it was unethical to not mention to HR about the text message. I was like "DUDE YOU TOLD ME NOT TO" and of course she says "i have no knowledge of that". Oh how convenient is that?!? I have A LOT of stories like that involving the DM lying and "not knowing" about things she either told me I could do or told me to do. The employee hotline that's suppose to be anonymous, to help employees out when they are having trouble with their supervisor is a flippin joke. I called that hotline numerous times on my DM for her unethical behavior, and come to find out that the DM is the one who gets the report.. so not only does the rep on the other line ask your store number, name, what position you work and a phone number to get ahold of you at, they send the WHOLE complaint and that information to your DM. My DM was already a ### to me so it made things 10x worse for me. Getting a day off is out of the picture, smaller stores are only allowed 90 hrs in a week to disperse between 4 other employees and if one of those employees were sick the manager HAS to work those hours if the other 3 refuse to take up anymore. I rarely had a day off because of this, I was tired and stressed all the time from working. Sally's expects your life to be that company. The pay is ridiculous as well. I was a manager and my full time employee was making more then me. It's really ### to think about that I was making more as a full-time employee then a manager. Also Sally's does yearly reviews on their employees. You are scored from 0 to 5 on how well you are doing in that category. It is frowned upon when managers score their employees high on this eval. Their words not mine "you can always improve something".. one of my employees complained she never got a raise.. come to find out, when we called payroll, that the raise she received was $0.05. What kind of ### is that?!? We're not allowed to give employees good scores for raises they deserve because there is "always room to improve".. So my employee is working her ### off for $0.05? That makes no sense. After awhile I couldn't handle the ### anymore so I quit.

• Te
      9th of Jun, 2013

Attention Dist. Mgrs. If you have stores that get robbed at gun and or knife point and employees fear for their lives. What are you trained to do or say for the protection of all employees. I hear in Texas in there is a Dist. Mgr that Black Balls any Employee that quits for fear of their life. I think you need to fear for losing your job and avoid company law suits. San Antonio, Texas ex employees here.

• Co
      16th of Jul, 2013

all i wanna know is does the new regestors have cameras in them to record u

• 1g
      27th of Sep, 2013

I also would agree with these complaints. Anyone standing up for the company must still work there and be afraid to say something negative. I was promised 30 hours per week if I would quit my job as an assistant manager so I did it. They put me in the system as a 10 hour employee. So when I took my two vacations I was only able to take 8 hours per week even though by the time I took my vacations I had over 100 hours accumulated. I was working 32-38 hours weekly. I got fired for giving someone a professional discount. She saved $1.50. My boss told me to my face that I was not the only employee who had given the same girl a pro discount (she had a pro card that wasn't flagged) ... But then I got fired and no one else did. One time I had to have oral surgery, I called my boss to see if someone could work my shift and she told me to pull up a chair at the register that night during my shift because she could NOT cover for me. I've worked there for ten out of the last 15 years... And these pieces of ### fire me over $1.50. It's bs and I would never recommend anyone working there. Ever.

• Ca
      1st of Oct, 2013

..very informative. I'm a hairdresser and I worked for Sally's part time for two weeks to gain more income, and I am afraid this complaint sounds legit. I still own and run a customer satisfaction company that calls to see if their customers are satisfied for large companies and I know complaints. I am convinced that this job won't work for me because I have seen facts that reinforces this complaint only in the short amount of time I have been there. Off to another journey, but I won't put up with this. My manager has been very sweet, but I can see that the employess are not valued appropriately.

18th of Oct, 2013

I recently quit working for Sally's and it saddens me to know so many others have had the same experienced the same problems I did. Every person working in that store was miserable and too afraid to do anything about it. I tried to report the manager to human resources after she told me she was cutting another employees hours and treating her badly to get her to quit. Needless to say she found out I had contacted corporate and decided to make my life difficult, so I quit. I thought these corporations were suppose to protect their employees and be held accountable for their managers actions. Guess that is what I get for trying to do the right thing. I thought if nothing else corporate would want to know that they had a manager behaving this way, boy was I wrong!

16th of Apr, 2014

THAT IS BEAUTIFUL!
    Right on the spot, I've been working here for 8 months so far and I hate it because all the reasons you are saying.
    It's spot on, and ABSOLUTELY TRUE!!!
    I cannot wait to get a better job and leave.

I work 12 MISERABLE hours a week, and in separate days 3 hours a day, my off days are one day yes one day no, schedule is always late, I always have to call on my day off to know the schedule.

No benefits, always being threatened to get a write up, and get fired for stupid things, not signing a receipt, not selling enough ioms, or club cards, going to the restroom after clocking in, taking a 11 minute break instead of 10, not taking a break because you forgot, or are too busy, etc.

Everything you said it's true I ended up here because I was about to look for a phone to contact the company about some questions of the manual that gets rubbed on my face whenever I do something "wrong".

• Mi
      3rd of May, 2014

Wow...I do not work there, but I do go in there on occasion. I am a licensed cosmetologist that also holds a Manager's license, so I do know a thing or two about hair and nails. I have been in the industry for over 23 years. The girls that work there are uninformed ###s. I would NEVER ask for advice on hair color from any one of them, because they do not know what they are talking about. I went in there just this past week for a hot sock diffuser...the foam ones that have elastic that holds them onto the blow dryer. I was told by both girls working that they have never had anything like that in the store ever. I told them that I have bought three of them there so far. She told me to go to Target, they have them there. I looked a little more and pointed out that they were "right here" and she just shrugged her shoulders. Their hair care products are cheap knock offs that do not work. They carry OPI now and I think something is up with that too, as it is very streaky and leaves big brush marks, which in have never had happen when I have bought OPI from other pro beauty supply stores. Probably black market OPI from some underground mafia sale somewhere...I'm not impressed with Sally at all. The biggest offender is that every time you go in there, there's always a new manager and new ###s working the floor that know nothing about hair or anything they sell there. One time an older lady was looking to buy a curling iron, so I let her use my pro card to get my cost. I know the sales girl was pissed, but I didn't care. Gouging an old lady for some piece of ### curling iron that wasn't worth half of the pro price was too much for me to handle, so I let her use my card. These girls don't need to ask me if they can help me when I come in there either...they are useless wastes of skin that don't have a clue what they are selling anyway. Leave me alone, I will find the ### myself!! After reading these reviews, I thought that I would lend my experience as a customer. I have been called an "outlaw woman" a few times...I wear Harley clothes and my hair is a hot mess at times and I always get the look when I hand them my pro card, like 'wow, I never would've thought she would have a pro card'. In my mind I'm like 'f you and just ring my ### up so I can get outta here'!!!

• Em
      11th of Jun, 2014

I could say this is the worst job i ever had, been there over a year now working another job 46 hour then 15 hours at sally plus being mom, my manger is lazy she stay in the back to eat be on the phone or say her stomach is hurting then pop pills, but i guess it's ok she's getting pay for it, i needed a day off few days later but she told me if i dont show up because i cant find some one to watch my child I'll be terminated from my job and thats coming from becky the Dm

• Je
      13th of Jul, 2014

Sallys is the worst company I have ever worked for! I recently quit because
    My boss is a nut job! Sallys lies they threaten their employees and have done things that give me the right to sue and win! Oh and they treat all customers and employees like they are all stealing! My boss would always say all red headed professionals steal! They accuse everyone of stealing and when she saw a large Mexican mafia looking man stealing she said I would be fired for not confronting him! I'm a small woman and this man was 300 pounds 6''4 at least with tattoos all over and she wanted me to risk my life for a two dollar product and there's no cameras no security just 2 small woman and why didn't she confront him? She saw it not me and she's the manager!!! My boss also illegally did a pat down on me without my consent and touch my boobs butt and all and why? Did she find anything ? No !!! I'm not a theif it was so degrading oh I was told next time I don't answer my phone when called on my days off that I would be fired! I was told if I don't come in when the call on my days off that I would be fired! Like wth I'm not an on call employee am I getting paid to be on call? No !!! My boss acted like I was stupid and would always criticize my customer service (she said I was to nice and spending to much time with customers)!!! Oh and my sales reports we get daily are always the best I always have the highest sales and largest sales per transaction but apparently I'm not doing my job right! Every employee I worked with was rude to the customers and they gossiped like crazy one of the employees talked about how she was arrested because she had drugs in her car but they weren't her and age said it load with tat least five customers I. The store!!! Sallys is so stupid that they don't let you return hair scissors aka sheers but the will let u return hair clippers and even if used the will put them back on the shel[censored] It's sick!!! My boss has no compassion what so ever she can call in or ask you to come in for her but when you so you get threatened to be fired ! Oh and I have a problem with the fact they take returned hair color and put it back on the shelf! Anything could be in there it could have been left in a hot car and ruined and yes that can ruin your hair!!! The employees don't know what the hell they are talking about and I was a pro so I was shocked when I heard them telling a girl to sleep over night with permanent hair color in !!! Never take color advice from anyone but a pro ever!!! I saw a lady who took their advice and when she came back she had bald spots hair falling out and breaking And burns all over her head because some fool told her to mix her color with a 40 vol peroxide abs leave it in for five hours!!! I was shocked and I wouldn't have beloved it if I hadn't heard them tell another woman to sleep over night with her color!!! Sallys I've warned I will sue you! And to the person who said they can't change your hours ... Your a liar!!! They can and the do my boss told me I went over my hours so she had to adjust it!!! And I never got paid for it !

• Bo
      27th of Oct, 2014

This is the out most worst job I've ever dreamed of having. I got hired when I was 10 weeks pregnant. The manager knew I was pregnant but told me I wasn't allowed to tell any CO workers yet because the DM absolutely could not know she hired me pregnant. I was there for two terrible years, to the day actually. This past Friday was my last day there. I, just like everyone else and their mother who has worked for sallys got accused of stealing product. Honestly, I'm SO relieved that I don't work there anymore. I didn't want to quit for the simple fact that I was comfortable. The manager was okay, just lazy and cranky. The dm sucked, and the TM was terrible. When I had my baby, I wasn't even allowed to stay out of work for my 6 weeks. I got about 4 weeks out, without pay of course. You can't call out at sallys, they WILL adjust your hours, and do threaten jobs over stupid thing like not selling iom's or bcc. I have so so so much more to say about that place and the people I worked under, but it's not worth it to me. Just know it is probably the or st place for employment ever.

• At
      2nd of Dec, 2014

Horrible store manager! Don't know if the district manager and her are in on this or what but the company needs to get it together. According to those training videos, they take harassment and equality serious but I have not seen any changes at all at this specific Sally Beauty Supply location. Store manager leaves early and adjusting hours whenever she wants, when she wants! Opens the store late and does not adjust employees hours making them look like they were the ones who opened the store late. Basically, she's stealing hours and claims that she works a whole 8 hour shift when really, it was only a 4 hour shift. Purposely calling employees thieves in front of customers because of bad training in the first place from the store manager herself. Playing favoritism by having another employee treat other employees like crap. Store manager's mother had to call her in because she was sick! Who the f does that? Your own store and you're going to have your own mother call you in? Wow, I am so done with lazy, slackers, and idiotic management at that location. CEO of Sally Beauty Supply, please if you see this, do something to help the management team get better and have equality for employees too so they don't get treated unfairly like this.

• Su
      17th of Jan, 2015

Well to the managers, are their cameras in loss prevention because me & my current coworker was suspended all because loss prevention man came down & said my cameras so you guys have been stealing my cameras shows you two counting money at the front! Which is a lie why would I put my job on the line like that? And my thing is, you they think we stole something why couldn't he bring it to our proof? See it doesn't add up! I agree with everyone else they accuse you of stealing. The pay sucks & only the mananger gets to leave early. Most employers are stuck with closing & working every weekend.

• St
      14th of Feb, 2015

I currently work for Sally's and let me start of by saying every comment I read I could agree to it. And that's a shame first of my manager is a liar she has her favorites that runs back & tell her everything which is messy! She acts childish and has a bad body odor problem. She always claim like she's catching up on "paperwork" she very unorganized she even admitted to almost taking another managers position! So what did that tell me, she really doesn't want to work there anymore. They treat their employees like crap, threaten to fire you if you don't sell enough IOMs or BCC! Excuse everyone of stealing. You will always get stuck working at night. No good benefits and I argee Walmart sells way more CHEAPER products. I can't wait to find another job