Safeway / received spoiled produce and was ignored at customer service desk

1 Olney, MD, United States Review updated:

My husband purchased packaged cucumbers at the Safeway store in Olney, MD. As soon as I opened them, I knew they were spoiled - there was a slimy residue on each cucumber in the package and they were squishy. I did not have time during the work day to visit the store and so had to wait until after I got out of work in the evening to exchange the item. When I was at the customer service desk, no one was there to help me. I waited for 10 minutes but no one came. There were two employees near the cash registers behind me (one was ringing up a customer and the other was not attending to anyone - his name was "Rinaldo"). I finally turned around and asked him if he could call someone to help me. Initially he did not respond or make eye contact, until I repeated myself (x3 times) and finally he mumbled something about how I should have come earlier and there is no one there at the moment - I saw him reach for the phone and call for help. Finally, someone arrived to help me however she was unapologetic about the long wait and the spoiled cucumbers and rather than taking care of it herself she directed me back to the reluctant cashier to ring me up and exchange the item. Even though I have been a long time customer of this Safeway store, I will now think twice before going and will consider either Harris Teeter or Giant as preferred options before Safeway.

Ci
Sep 4, 2018

Comments

• Ca
      4th of Sep, 2018

Ask your husband to check the produce before he buys it. Really check it. Maybe you could take him to the store, on a dry run, and show him how you like your produce... Then he knows what to pick for you.

My husband pickled squishy tomatoes, until I showed him what I pick out. Hope it helps.

• Ca
      4th of Sep, 2018

@Call the Waaaambulance! I reread this post... dont want you to think I was being rude... in my situation, my husband honestly did not know what to pick.