Safelite Auto Glass / Bogus &Lifetime& warranty

1 1243 N Gene Autry TrailPalm Springs, CA, United States

I've purchased five windshields from "Safelite" auto glass over the past 10 years. We have a lot of sand and these windshields get pitted.

They boast about their "lifetime warranty." DON"T BELIEVE IT. The first time I needed it, I was rudely told by "Miguel" the manager of the Palm Springs store (on Gene Autry Trail) that he wouldn't honor it. First, I spent ten minutes yesterday on the phone with a polite appointment scheduler (at some out-of-state call center), who explained to me the process they would be using, how it involves several tests, including a "flashlight, " to determine if the crack was a "stress" crack, or if it was a "impact" crack. The "stress crack" is covered under the warranty. The "impact crack" is not. Sounded reasonable. She explained how they would be looking to "feel" and/or to "see" any kind of chipping. There was none. When I showed up for my appointment, the first tech I met filled out the paperwork, then escorted me to my truck for an "inspection." I went with him. He proceeded to look and feel the area. When he was done, he had me sign the work order, which showed the balance owed was for "$0 dollars, " since it was covered by the warranty. He took the keys, and said "we'll replace it, and your cost is zero." Then I sat down.

Five minutes later "Miguel, " the manger, comes out and says "I have to see if it's a stress or impact crack." I said fine. He walked out to the truck, took one look, and said "it's an impact crack." I said "there is no divet, it's smooth to the touch, and what about your tests I was told to expect?" Miguel said abruptly, "it looks like a impact to me, so I can sell you a windshield." I realized that he had decided this even before he came out to see the vehicle, since performed no tests of any kind, as I was told to expect. He took one look at me, an African-American, took one look brief look at the truck, and laughed at my expecting to have the "lifetime" warranty actually honored. I said "you don't have to yell, ...I'll buy a windshield alright, but it won't be here." As far as I'm concerned, the Safelite Lifetime Warranty is a crock of huey. There'll be no testing to see if they should honor the warranty...you'll just get "Miguel." I will never use them again, and I'll tell all my friends about my lovely experience. I spent five minutes on the phone, as soon as I got home, and found a replacement windshield for $35 less, they were at my house in two hours...and I'll be telling all my friends were to get great service, and to RUN FROM SAFELITE!

Hg