SAA / double charging and lying

1 United States

I recently booked a flight (JHB to Durban) on SAA online. The flight was booked, confirmed and paid for a week prior to departure on my credit card. On arriving at the airport I discovered that I had left my credit card at home in Durban the week before. At the airport I was advised that without the credit card present I could not fly. I had proof of identity, copy of the credit card, copy of the online booking confirmation all present at the airport.
SAA then advised that I needed to buy a second ticket (FOR THE SAME FLIGHT) and I would be refunded the first ticket if I contacted the call centre the next day. Hence I was forced to purchase a second ticket for the same flight (another R666). I called the call centre the next day and was advised that they would only refund the airport taxes. It is now a month later, and SAA has not refunded anything. This is theft and extortion. Forcing customers to buy additional tickets, promising refunds and reneging on this amounts to criminal action. Other airlines have business rules and processes that can accommodate situations such as mine when a customer may not have a credit card present. THEY are customer centric.

Er