Ross Dress for Less / a store that treating their customers like thefts

Tukwila, WA, United States Review updated:
1.65
On March 10, I bought a set of four place mats and other stuffs at the Tukwila, Washington Ross Store (Store# 0044). For some reason the machine couldn't recognize the bar code of the place mats at the time I checked out. Therefore, the cashier scanned another item with same value as the place mats instead. However, I didn't realize that since both of the item cost the same.

On March 31 afternoon (around 16:20 pacific daylight time) I tried to return the place mats at the same store in Tukwila. Nevertheless, the sale associates at the customers service counter, Todd and Senada, told me that I couldn't return it since it isn't listed on the receipt. I explained the story to them, but they even not tried to listen to me and grabbed the place mats then tossed it behind the counter. I negotiated with them, yet they insinuated that I never be able to prove I paid for the place mats since it is not listed on the receipt. Finally, I leave the store only with the receipt.

Such thing never happened at other stores like Marshall and TJ Maxx in my experience. I felt that I was being insulted and I believed your company should provide better customers service training to the sale associates. I can say 90% of the customs won't check the bar codes number and the name of each item on the receipts upon the payment. How the sale associates, Todd and Senada, could insinuate that I stole the place mats and tried to get advantage from the store? Do you think it is worth to get advantage from the store for only $3.99? In addition, it might possible that I brought the wrong receipt (even though I am absolutely sure this is not the case). How could the sale associates, Todd and Senada, grabbed the place mats which was belong to me and tossed it behind the counter just because it was not listed on the receipt?
Va

Comments

Ma
  5th of Feb, 2009
Hi I am so sorry about your experience :( I work for a store in California and this should of never happened. When things like this happen you should obligate the manager to look at the cameras to prove to him or her that you purchased the item. Even if it is extreme it would teach them a lesson. I cannot believe this happened to you. When we scan one item for another we usually write in a brief description on the receipt, the camera records it and if a manager questioned it then they bring it to our attention but that rarely happens. By looking at the camera it gets resolved.
Br
  9th of Apr, 2009
That would have upset me enough to never shop there agian! on top of it all they did u this way they stole from u! did u contact the bbb????
St
  15th of Sep, 2009
look when they scan another item in place of yours they have to put a note on the receipt or give you a new tag. And yes people steal from ross everyday, underwear, toys, clothes, shoes, food you name it. Sorry that everyone has to pay for these thieves. But on your end you should only bring items to the register that has a tag on it to avoid these situations
Je
  28th of Apr, 2010
My incident happen in the san jose, ca Curtner location of willow glen.

On sunday I went to Ross with two dresses and receipts inside the Ross plastic bag for return. As I entered, there was a super long line. So I decided that I don't wan to stand in line once for the return and then another time if I decided to buy something. I saw some dresses that I would like to try on. I went to the dressing room and the rude fat woman (between 20's to early 30's) told me I cannot bring my bag into the dressing room. I told her she need to make sure no one touches my stuff and she said okay. But I can tell that look on her face that she didn't like what I just said to her.

As I came out, she was no where to be found and there was only one bag there, so I assumed it is mine cuz there is no other bag outside of the dress room. I ended up not buying anyting and decided to return my two dresses during the weekdays since it is always quiet and no line. I am a stay home mom. Today, I decided to go and return my dresses and I opened up the bag which was tied in a knot. I was shocked to find out that the items inside the bag wasn't mind. There was a pair of children jeans size 14 with brand name tag but no Ross tag and a super huge polyster cheap pair of short with a ross mark down tage of $5. My gutt feeling is someone must heard what I told the dress room lady that it is two really nice dresses and she must look after it cuz I don't want anyone stealing them.

My worst fear happened on sunday. Someone stole my bag and walked out of the store since there is no sensor on them. Or my other hutch is the store dress room employee got pissed off at me and switched the items to get back at me.

I called to the store today and no one seem to care enough to help me. They told me that the store manager isn't there. I guess I have to take that big lost and return the polyester shorts for $5 store credit since it is not my item and I don't have the receipt to it.

This happen like around 2 p.m. at Ross. If you are corporate, you should make your employees are accountable for things like this cuz if it happen too many times, you will lose your good customers and attract only the bad customers. Deep in my heart is that I stil think that the Ross Employee switched my stuff to get even with me. I spend hundreds of dollars at Ross already. You wouldn't want all your customers to go to Marshall and TJMAXX. They carry identical products for similar prices. I am just a loyal customer and only putting up this complaint so higher mangement know about these kinds of issues at Ross.

If some Target can help friendly and polite employees, you can too do that!!!

Ross Dress for Less Logo Ross Dress for Less