Roomster.com / dishonest sales practices

1 WA, United States Review updated:

I signed up for Roomster.com after finding it on a search engine advertised as a free service site. I was looking for immediate occupancy rentals and after spending 30-45 minutes creating my "free" profile I reached the page asking me to purchase an upgraded membership. Since the site advertises it's service as free, I declined to purchase anything and continued with the basic membership.
When I checked the status of my account a few days later I noticed there were 5 messages from what I assume would be potential roommates interested in my profile, but I was surprised and frustrated to discover that you cannot access your roomster messages without purchasing a membership. It also states in the terms of use that you cannot put your own email address or phone number in your public profile. By doing that, you are forced to use their email service if you want to contact anyone on the site - which costs a monthly fee.
Once I realized that this complany was absolutely NOT operating honestly, I began to look for a way to delete my account. It turns out, you cannot delete your account. You can only disable it.
I sent them an email through their Contact Us page requesting that my account be deleted and telling them why I wanted to delete it. I received an incredibly rude email back about how most of the service is free and they offered no option for deleting my information from their site. I wrote back again asking how to permanently delete my account and instead of emailing me back, there is now a message when I try to access the site saying they disabled my account for “violations of terms of use.”
I will soon be changing my email address because of Roomster's behavior. I feel like I've been robbed because of their bait-and-switch tactics and my inability to delete my information from their system.

Rk

Comments

• Df
      20th of Dec, 2010

The same thing happened to me. They sent me an email saying someone had viewed my profile and emailed me. When I subscribed for the 3 day trial for 5.95 so I could see the email, it wasn't from the same person they'd said it was from; it wasn't even from a person who matched my requirements at all. When I went to cancel the account it was just like he said; they wouldn't cancel it, only disable it. And it automatically renewed for $30 because apparently you have to cancel it twice, two different ways, and they make the website like a maze so you can't figure out how to do it. They also refuse to refund my money even though the new 30 days hasn't even started yet. My fault for not thoroughly understanding all their shady policies and practices before giving them my credit card info. I just wanted to get this out there so hopefully someone else can be spared from having to deal with this shady company. I suspect most of their accounts aren't real people anyway, as I got no legitimate interest in my posting. Only enough to bait me into paying them then no follow through. Stay away!

14th of Apr, 2013

yes this company stinks.. but on the bright side.. log in.. change all the info to untrue info.. including your email address.. remove pictures and put random characters in the person info section (including your name) .. UN-check all notifications area..

this is what I did.. of course i never paid for anything so what i did just deleted my account for me.. the account exists but it's just completely random info that has nothing to do with me, my name, my email, or anything to do with me.. so it's as good as deleted for me.. maybe you can change your CC info on the site the same way? and when all said and done it'll be like you don't have an account.
    Just a suggestion.. have a good day :)