Rite Aid Pharmacy / bad service

1 Potomac Village Shopping CenterPotomac, MD, United States Review updated:

Last month I had a prescription filled ($215.99) I take 2 pills 2 times daily (4 pills per day). My prescription is for 30 days so that would be 120 pills.

When I got home there were 40 pills in the bottle, but I did not think I could do anything about it. Today I had my prescription filled again. As soon as i got home I counted the pills and there were 106 pills. I immediately called the pharmacy who said they would count their remaining inventory and call me back. Of course when they called back, they said that their inventory was correct so they would do nothing about it. That meant that I would have to go for sometime without my medication, until the 30 days was up and I could again fill my prescription. I take Focalin 10mg and although there is a generic that my insurance would cover, Rite Aid says that their supplier cannot get the generic, so the $215.99 comes out of my Social Security monthly payment of $749. Please advise other people of Rite Aid's prescription shortage policy.

Va

Comments

• Rx
      18th of Dec, 2008

Next time have them count it there at the pharmacy BEFORE you leave. They will probably be busy but with this being a control substance the law is very strict on this. ALso read the quantity dispensed amout on your bottle. Sometimes even though the doc wrote for a 30 day supply your insurance may not cover it. The pharmacy is suppose to notify you of this to give you an option of filling it for whatever the covered amount is or pay out of pocket

• Fa
      14th of Sep, 2009

That is almost an impossibility. First off with highly controlled substances like that, the pills are counted twice. Secondly their inventory is kept very up to date. Half of a missing pill or extra pill can get you in an assload of trouble. Thirdly, the description you made is very common for those who abuse control medication or who want extra quantities of the amount. Now I'm not accusing you of being an abuser of drug, but from my knowledge of standard pharmacy procedure, if what you describe is true, then either someone in the pharmacy is stealing from your bottle, or your complaint is a flat out lie. And theft or accusations of theft pertaining to prescriptions drugs can be considered felonious and may involve the DEA as well as your local law enforcement.

• Pa
      3rd of Oct, 2009

The first time your were shorted 80 pills, and said nothing about it because you thought you couldn't do anything about it. The next time your script is short 14 pills, and you bring it to their attention at once. Something in your story sounds wrong. I agree with FamousFarker- this is almost an impossibility with this type of medication.

• Re
      27th of Oct, 2009

oh look another controlled substance drug user saying they were shorted pills... why am I not surprised.

Vicodin, Oxycontin, Focalin, Ritalin, Adderall, Acetaminophen with Codeine, Lortab... I can go on and on... people who take these drugs almost ALWAYS SAY THEY WERE SHORTED. Lies!!!

We double count controlled substances, mostly all pharmacies do.

Stop trying to get more drugs to feed your addiction!!

• 3r
      28th of Dec, 2009

Just last week I left my prescription at drive thru to be filled, came back in about 25 minutes and picked up at window. I then drove home got setteled, set down opened my bag infront of my husband and daughter for the first time. They put it in 2 bottles because they had to use 2 different brands to get the 135 quanity it was written for. So I open them and I respond by saying out loud that it did not look like enough pills. So I counted and there was only a total of 102 pills, so each bottle was short. I called cvs and after discussion I drove back, went inside spoke to 2 different people.I was treated very ugly and I left without my proper amount, but its not over because I called the corp. office, the police and I am filing a complaint with the state pharmacy board. I may never get the missing pills owed to me but I will cause the true vilian to be discovered. So before you judge people who have to have pain medicine to work and live a farely normal life you need to walk in our shoes. Infact you people who are so closed minded or judgemental your probably some of the ones stealing our medicines for a profit or a quick high, your just trying to sound like some fine upstanding employee of a drug store or someone in the medical feild. You see anyone can be a thief or addicted to drugs even if they are in charge of dispensing the medicines. 3ruptureddisk

• On
      25th of Feb, 2010

drugmonkeyrph@gmail.com This is David Stanley Monroe a pharmacist with Rite-Aid. Email him your complaint as he has corporate's ear.

• Ar
      10th of Aug, 2010

While this story seems unlikely, I've known Rite Aid employees to do stupid things like hand out prescriptions like Fentanyl to people who don't have the prescription for them because they were placed in wrong bag. It's happened twice to me. Once I was suppose to be picking up my fathers heart medicine and I was given Fentanyl pills and the next time I was suppose to be picking up my daughters asthma inhaler and they gave me 10 Fentanyl patches. Both times I didn't even get to the front door before turning around and requesting the proper medications. My point is that while the laws are strict on all controlled substances, they cannot fully control the stupidity of employees.

I should also add that when I return the first mixed up medicine, the Pharmacist looked at me and said, "Oh, we've been looking for that for three hours!"