Restaurant.com / unauthorized sale of discount coupons

This company sends representatives that hard sell a restaurant into "trying out" their website coupon sales. I was told by the sales rep that if it didn't work out for us, I could cancel at anytime. When he stopped by to try to re-up our participation, I told him that I wanted my restaurant to be taken off the site immediately and to sell no more coupons. He told me "NO Problem, he would immediately have it posted as "Out of Stock" and we would be removed ASAP". That was on Jan 8th and today--Feb 24, the restaurant is sill on the website and they are still selling coupons, that we will not honor. Restauranteurs beware!!

Comments

• Su
      4th of Jul, 2010

Had similar experience. Worse yet, they discount the certificates so deeply sometimes -- like $2 for $25 -- it cheapens the customers' perception of the business.

If they were more transparent and shared the $ that the customers spent, it might make sense.

• Bu
      9th of Jul, 2010

I'm having the exact same problem. The salesrep told me I would have 90 day trial and can cancel anytime. How did you solve it at last?

• Su
      10th of Jul, 2010

Our experience was similar -- sales rep said we could cancel anytime but the fine print is 30 days written cancellation.

Because it doesn't cost them a thing after they post the information, the deep discounting is no skin off their nose, and yes, it DOES cheapen the customers' perception of the business.

There are lots of other opportunities for flash sale type things, like Groupon, where the restaurant gets a % (usually half) of what the customer pays for the certificate.

I seriously doubt we'll do Rest. com again, ever.

• St
      19th of Aug, 2010

My restaurant just signed up on June 9, 2010. Sounded good at the time as a way to get new customers in the door. After a few weeks, we were being flooded with these rest.com gift certificates, with a total of $2890.00 of "give aways"in the first month. Its like this...if customer spends $36.00 for their total bill, my restaurant receives $12.00!! We are losing money!! The only one benefiting from this is the customer and Rest.com. When I called my sales rep to complain, of course she would not call me back. Then finally got a call from corporate office who said you cant make changes within 45 days & suggested limiting the amount being sold to an average of 30 per month, sounded reasonable.Why was I not told this upfront? I asked that they quit selling them since they must of sold 200 the first month to try and help alleviate the financial burden this is causing my company. Less than 9 weeks into the program my restaurant has given away over $5000.00 of free food and alcohol!!! The biggest fraud is being told by the perky sales rep that a customer can only use their coupon once a month.Really?? then why can a customer buy 4 at a time?? How can a restaurant police the customers to abide by this when you serve 400 people a day...impossible, , , and yes customers do use them whenever they want and we cannot control it. We are done with this company!! I will contact the BBB about the fraud on our end and maybe for all you other restauranteurs who feel scammed by them, maybe a class action suit will get their attention !!!

• So
      16th of Dec, 2010

We own a small Mom & Pop and we had a heinous experience similar to the ones above. After 10 years - between the economy and weather and Rest.com, we're close to the breaking point. Rest.com told us it was ninety days from when we asked them to stop, which was Feb 15. They continued to sell them at $2 on a $25 and we kept up our end of the bargain and stopped accepting them on May 15. Today is Dec 15 - and we got 2 within 5 minutes of each other. RESTAURANTEURS BEWARE - even if you have it in writing, NO ONE represents you when it comes to these people - stay away! Plenty of other ways to do it besides this scam. (No - we explain that they're scammers, and if they sign up for our e-mail, they'll get even better coupons - but not $2 for $25...)

• Ya
      5th of Jan, 2011

I have had a very similiar experience. My question is how do I stop their scam without hurting my business?

• Ky
      19th of Jan, 2011

Our experience with restaurant.com is similarly bad. It may not be an out-and-out scam, but outright misrepresentation on the part of restaurant.com makes it damn close. This company basically blackmails a restaurant into honoring deceptively marketed and financially crippling discount coupons. The alternative is alienating your customers. At the very least we intend to post a notice on our door that we will no longer be accepting restaurant.com coupons as of the date we can "officially" cancel with them (around 5 months from now). Hopefully this will serve as a deterrent to customers with these coupons. If anyone has a personal story on how they ended this blackmail before their "contract" ended, please share.

• Of
      21st of Oct, 2011

In this economy, restaurants need to be aware that people are looking for value.
    If you choose to alienate your customers, trust me you will loose!
    Rest.com is a great company that offers value!
    Why don't you give the people what they want instead of what you want!
    Isn't that what a good business owner should do?