RCI / rip off

1 NY, United States Review updated:

I have been a member of RCI for 6 years. I have used their properties only twice. Once in Manhattan, NY and once in Florida. The property in NY was very nice but the people were horrible. The property in FL was gross - bugs climbing up the wall, dirty bathroom, stained carpet and incompetent people. I spent 1 out of 6 nights and left. I have never been able to get the property I request in all this time. I am totally fed up.

The clincher is I made a reservation on RCIs recommendation and after checking online the property reviews, I immediately called back and cancelled the reservation. RCI wanted to charge me $25 to cancel an reservation which was made for only 10 minutes. It took me 5 phone calls and 1 1/2 hours to get a waiver to get back my $25. I was so fed up I cancelled my membership. Good riddance.! They are a big RIP OFF.

Comments

26th of Jan, 2009

RCI used to be the only hopeful thing in the timeshare business for us. We belong to Royal Holiday Club which has been the subject of 20/20 and is an absolute nightmare. RCI has denegerated from travel agents over the last years and become a sleezy part of a sleezy industry. The phone agents barely speak English and cannot follow a conversation/ answer questions; they only have access to the same onscreen info. that we do. Yes, they are selling the weeks that we summit for exchange and offering us rubbish. They have been caught, there is a lawsuit pending in June. RCI is in bed with the crooked companies like Royal Holiday Club. RHC has made it virtually impossible for us to bank with anyone else ( if we want to, we must prepay all-inclusive fees even though we are actually grandfathered and do not have to pay ourselves at the resort ). The big timeshare companies like RHC bank a lot of weeks at the beginning of the year and members are allocated weeks that have alreay gone by. This makes a nonsense of the trading power concept. In return, RCI is guaranteeing they will rent the units by unlawfully selling them. People buying a week for $199 can pay the all-inclusive and still get a week at a nice resort at reasonable rate. The rest of us have paid maintenance, special assessments, membership, exchange fees etc. If you can't go last-minute, your unit goes into Last Call for sale. People looking for last-minute exchange are told it is too late to exchange, but purchase is possible. It's over for RCI, the rot has set in. Timeshare now has no value, so people will withdraw. RCI has only itself to blame, they have become part of the greed culture and will only sink to lower and lower levels.