Resort Condominiums International [RCI] Logo

Resort Condominiums International [RCI]

Having problems with Resort Condominiums International [RCI]?

1890 234 303 (Ireland)
1803 657 311 (Indonesia)
1800 181 121 (Malaysia)
1800 1651 0639 (Philippines)
1800 656 060 (Thailand)
+1 800 338 7777 (RCI Weeks Members)
+1 317 805 9941 (RCI Points Members)
+1 877 968 7476 (RCI Points Members)
+44 845 608 6380 (United Kingdom & Ireland)
+43 179 567 252 (Austria)
+32 27 131 378 (Belgium)
+420 239 000 208 (Czech Republic)
+45 38 487 090 (Denmark)
+31 203 469 324 (Netherlands)
+351 289 540 400 (Portugal)
+41 448 009 101 (Switzerland)
+852 800 964 847 (Hong Kong)
+20 224 635 500 (Egypt & Other Middle East Members)
+65 62 234 333 (Singapore)
+27 112 581 000 (South Africa)
+82 798 651 7123 (South Korea)
+84 12 065 122 (Vietnam)
+54 800 122 0428 (Argentina)
9998 North Michigan Road
Carmel, Indiana
Latin America And The Caribbean
Horacio 1855-PH, Col. Los Morales Polanco, Mexico DF, 11510

Complaints & Reviews

ever changing rules

This will probably be a longer than you would like, but it is truly a reflection of how I feel about RCI...

Resolved accomodation

To whom it may concern, Myself and my husband have been a member of rci for 18 years. We recently booked a...

misleading information

RCI lists hundreds of resorts as available for exchange however when you go to the resort on line and click on the week
you find a statement that due to recent activities the resort is no longer available. This notation stays on the site for weeks and weeks so as to provide a false sense of the real number of resorts available. In addition, when I go to book a vacation for an resort, RCI system does not confirm your vacation. I called RCI regarding this issue, a representative states that RCI have a glitch in their system.
We are spending a tremendous amount of money to bank our vacation, now RCI cannot provide the proper service for their customers.
Moreover, the customer service representatives are truly insensitive to our concerns. I am truly going to write the Federal Credit Trade and Consumer protection agency regarding this matter. This issue is long over due.

We need to make RCI accountable for their unprofessional and false representation services to their customers.

I hoping this issue will be resolved and respectfully.

RCI Jul 15, 2014

Hi Robin, we're sorry to hear of your frustration and would like to look into this for you. Please email us at [email protected] and be sure to include the details of what area/dates you were looking at and your membership number.

Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

refusal to refund deposit

I'm not really sure which location this company operates from. However, I booked a trip to Reno, NV. for April 13th, 2014. I paid
$49.00 trip insurance which has in the past guaranteed that my deposit would be refunded should I need to cancel the trip.
I have done this in the past and received credit. However, this time they tell me that the insurance is only to guarantee
that I don't lose my week not a refund for the amount paid. This is a scam!!! I'm reading other complaints about this company that I have never seen before. In over 10 years of being a member I have never had this problem although we have had to cancel trips int the past. Where do I go from here?

RCI Jan 16, 2014

Hi, we are sorry to hear of any confusion on what Trading Power Protection includes. If you could please email us at [email protected] with your membership number, we would be happy to take a look at your account.

Kathleen M. RCI Customer Care

Joycene Ryan Jan 16, 2014

My attitude towards this complain remains unchanged. I think talking to them is only going to result it some
    mumbo jumbo. My understand has always been that a trip cancelled with insurance had the deposit refunded.
    I'm not interested in anything but getting the refund now!

not honest

We were offered a cruise/vacation package for 1600.00. Sounded good over the phone, as a matter of fact to...

Resolved trading power

Since RCI went on the trading power system they found other ways to rip you off. I have left over points (points balance they owe me) from a previous booking and want to combine them with points from another week. I can do this myself online with a few simple clicks of the mouse but they want to charge $109.00 to do this. In other words I have to pay for something they owe me! There has been numerous class action lawsuits brought against RCI over the years and they have lost them all. Is there any other options out there other than using RCI?

RCI Aug 30, 2012

Hi Rick, hopefully this explanation will help clarify things. As before the enhancements, you still exchange a week for a week, but now if you exchange for a week requiring less trading power than your Deposit Trading Power, you get that difference between Deposit Trading Power and Exchange Trading Power in the form of a Deposit Credit that you can use toward a second exchange.

Combining Deposits and Deposit Credits is only an option and is by no means required. Having this option simply allows RCI subscribing members more ability to get a vacation that they want, but might not have had enough trading power to obtain in the past. If you have a Deposit Credit in your account, it’s important to know that even a Deposit Credit with a trading power as low as 5 has nearly 100, 000 vacation options at any given time.

We invite you to email us at [email protected] if you have additional questions or concerns.

- Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

• Je
    Jean Moody Mar 18, 2014

I've been a member of RCI since 1992. For years I've been able to bank a week and use it within the three years it's held, getting a resort where I want it when I want it. Then some years ago RCI goes to this weekly points trading power system, rating the "points" you have to exchange and decreasing them at will. So, I have a red season, one bedroom unit in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico that has high very high exchange value forever. Now, all of a sudden, because my week has been 'banked' for two years, my trading power is down to two (2) points. There is NO resort in their directory that allows you to exchange a week with two points unless it's in la la land during a la la land week!
    So now RCI will ALLOW me to ADD those two points to the week I have just recently banked, but, it'll cost me $190.00 to do so. Now mind you, I've paid the maintenance fees for both of these time share weeks I've banked -- over $1200.00. But now RCI wants another $109.00 to add two measly little points to the 15 or so I will get for banking my current week. Then, of course, when I exchange the weeks, I'll be charged another $249.00.
    So, you pay to belong to RCI, you pay your maintenance fees to own a resort, you have to pay an additional fee to "add" your measly points to another week and then you pay AGAIN to exchange. I'd like to know when did my time share lose so much value in RCI's eyes? Why did the exchange power fall so low after being banked only two years when it was never like that some years back? Simply, as 'old-timers' like me have discovered, RCI can no longer make money from someone like me so they INVENT systems that help the company generate money. They are holding your vacation club on a COMPUTER. No one is physically doing anything more than recording or better yet, verifying that you have put your time share in a 'space bank' -- as in cyber-space! It is UNETHICAL to arbitrarily reduce the value of someone's a-list time share because it is sitting in your cyber-space bank. The object is to get you to a resort so you can enjoy a vacation!
    I've had my time share for 21 years and have been with RCI the entire time. Only once did I actually miss a vacation at my home resort or through one booked through RCI due to being inundated at work . RCI has made their money. Now they are just making it horrible to be able to use a week you have paid a maintenance fee for.
    In this economy, it is understandable that some families cannot afford to take vacations as they use to and for that reason, RCI should stop high-jacking it's customers and give them back the trading power their resorts deserve.
    Hoping to find a week that I can use before the end of June otherwise, I will let the week go. I refuse to pay $109.00 to add two points to my newly banked week which I will, hopefully, combine with my week in Mexico next year.

Resolved exchange secrets

I have tried working with RCI since the 1980- have purchased additional timeshares to accumulate points and...

point system

When I bought my time share, RCI assured me that availability was not a problem because only members of the program can access the timeshares. I have since learned that availability is a serious problem, RCI engages in the practice of skimming a large percentage of the timeshares from the system, including many prime timeshares, and renting them to the general public at a profit to RCI, or selling them to vendors who then rent them to the general public. As a result, no matter how meticulously one follows RCI’s rules and procedures, and no matter how far in advance one begins looking for a desirable exchange, one simply cannot find available destinations. Since RCI does not allow extending points into the following year without a $99.00 payment one is forced to either forfeit the points or pay an additional $99.00.

RCI Jan 30, 2012

Hi RWBurgh, we'd like to take this opportunity to provide some clarification and offer our assistance. While, we do rent inventory (which we obtain from various sources) under various circumstances, we will never rent inventory in a way that compromises the exchange system (in terms of quality or quantity). Furthermore, there is sometimes a misunderstanding around about RCI’s role in the timeshare industry. We do not sell timeshare or own or operate any timeshare properties. Instead, we provide exchange services to timeshare owners at our affiliated properties. This exchange service is designed to offer flexibility and choice to timeshare owners who are RCI subscribing members.

Typically, popular destinations during school break times and areas where we have few affiliated resorts are more difficult to exchange into. However, it does help to plan far in advance and to start an Ongoing Search at RCI Weeks affiliated resorts (which you also have access to as an RCI Points subscribing member). If you provide us with your account information we'll be happy to look into your account and recommendation some vacation options for you. You can email us at [email protected]

Please also note that Points are saved automatically at the end of the Use Year in which they were allocated, and there is no fee providing that you have used at least some of those Points in that Use Year. The fee you mention applies to extending more than 14, 000 Points into a 3rd Use Year (please note that you must notify us prior to their expiration).

We invite you to email us at [email protected] to discuss your concerns further. Your satisfaction is our priority, so let's see what we can do to help get you an exchange vacation that you'll love!

-Kathleen M.

• Pa
    PacificFan Jul 29, 2014

I totally agree and, yes, I was told that my ongoing search wouldn't be filled because I only had 13 points (started with weeks--Red for Red straight across the board). But I have two weeks! Oh it costs you $129 to combine weeks now. Nothing to do with carry over. RCI has charged more each year for membership and has discounted my TS more and more. I feel like I'm being gouged for everything. As far as I am concerned RCI has no Customer Service. They are only interested in making more money at their members' expense. If RCI is as big ang bigger becuase of there fine Customer Service why do I fell like I am getting less and less each year? I guess the Class Action Suits have caused RCI to try to recoup all back by taking it out on other members.

Resolved no problems with rci

Been with rci since 1993, have had no problems with vacation exchanges through the years. I have always received the exchanges that i've requested. Exchanged to scottsdale, orlando, montego bay, myrtle beach, new bern, williamsburg, aruba, souther pines, fairfield glade, lake lure, branson, las vegas, morgantown wv,
Very pleased with rci

Resolved never can exchange or get vacation spot

I have never had any success with rci trying to find an exchange for my weeks I have banked with them even if you try to put it in yrs before there seems to benothing available. I would ike to go with them in a lawsuit class action please contact me thru email

RCI Jan 23, 2012

Hi Candee124, we found your comment online and would like to offer our assistance. We invite you to email us at [email protected] with your account information and the details of where and when you are hoping to book an exchange vacation. We'll be happy to review your preferences and provide some options for you.

Thanks, and hope to hear from you soon!

-Kathleen M.

• Dp
    dpeters Oct 06, 2012

I totally agree. I own in a crown resort and never can get an exchange, and the new system reguarding 10 pts, 21 points or whatever even though you are not on a point system is BS. Also there web site is down ever other sat to sunday so you are not able to exchange. When you call to exchange your week reps are not frriendly and definetly do not try to help!!! What is going on???????????????????

Resolved lynn hunter

We just paid for our renewal membership for 2012, we have owned for a year and one of the sales pitches used by Lynn Hunter and his crew was that they would help us sell points for a few years to help pay the bill down since we were not able to use the points for at leat three years. The man who sold us the deal left Mr. Hunter's team shortly thereafter leaving us with no one but Mr. Hunter himself to help us. He assured us that we were one of a few clients he was keeping and working with personnally, however, when you can reach him he is busy out of state, can't help us with the problem or simply does not want to deal with buyers after he gets his commission. We had to take out a loan to pay off the plan and now look at 1000.00 payment each month for the next several years. He assured us we could sell enough points in the first couple years to pay it off. What happened Mr. Hunter? Is this the way you treat all your clients, or just retired military. If anyone reads this please contact me at [protected]@yahoo.com or by phone to tell me if you can help.

RCI Oct 11, 2011

Hi Cindy. We found your post and would like to share your comments with our team that manages our relationships with our affiliated resorts, but before we can do that we need to confirm which resort this occurred at. Please email us at [email protected] with that information and any further comments. Hopefully this helps!

- Kathleen M.
    RCI Customer Care

sells your info; you'll be hounded by calls!

We have owned a local time share condo for many years and last year decided to trade our location through RCI -- just for a change. I hated the process, because you have to pay the fees and give up or "bank" your own condo week before you can even search to see what other destinations are available. After we banked the condo, we could not find a destination within 8 hours driving time that we wanted. But, we could not get our other one back. We were supposed to have two years to find a place, but if you don't re-join RCI the second year, you cannot even search for destinations anymore. Then, the worst part of all... they provide your name and contact information to other companies who will then flood you with calls day-in and day-out to ask you to rent or sell your time share. Now that it is near summer time (when we have our time share week), we have NO PEACE at home with these phone calls. I have now asked for RCI to put us on their "do not contact" list, and we will never do business with them again. We didn't know what we were in for.

RCI Sep 08, 2011

Hi neveruseagain, we found your post and would like to offer our assistance with finding an exchange that's within driving distance from your home. We'll just need you to email us at [email protected] with your account info so that we can reach out to you about your vacation options.

At RCI, we value our members and place great emphasis on protecting the privacy of member information. To that end, we do not sell or rent member information.

Also, please note that these third-party companies you mention may be using information they gather from public sources to contact RCI members. Since we don’t sell timeshare, you should use caution when dealing with an entity claiming to be selling by or on behalf of RCI. If you have any further questions about this, please don't hesitate to reach out to us directly.

Hope to hear from you!
    Kathleen M.

• De
    Deborah Medina Jan 21, 2014

Despite RCI is one of the biggest timeshare exchange companies in the world, you still have to be very careful before exchanging your week, as there are many things that could go wrong during the process. Take into consideration that you have to book the resort as soon as possible, sometimes even up to two years in advance, which can be a problem for some families. Also, you must know that a membership fee needs to be paid, whether you exchange your timeshare or not. This is a good article on How to use the RCI timeshare exchange system:

cheating

We were cheated by RCI and Best Western Resort Country Club, Manesar, India and the and have hence filed a complaint (complaint No. 579/2009) in the Consumer Courts, Sheikh Serai. The case is sub-judice. The summary of my complaints is below:

Summary

• We were enticed on 13th Sept’ 2000 into buying a time share with Resort Country Club, Manesar for a “ One Bedroom Apartment”—Red Week ( Priority over White and Blue week ). At least one week of booking with a resort of one’s choice from RCI’s list of almost 4000 International and 70 resorts in India was allowed per year.
• We paid full money of Rs. 76, 600/- on 13th Sept’ 2000 i.e. on day one.
• We were told that we would receive our membership certificate and card within one month and the RCI membership within 6 weeks.
• However we did not receive anything despite reminders. After 5 months in Feb’ 2000 we received our membership certificate which was from the year 2002 to 2032 (alternate 16 years) so that we couldn’t start availing our holiday before 2002. What a joke! We pay in full in the year 2000 with a promise to use our holidays within 2 months but can’t start our holiday before the year 2002!
• We protested and finally in July 2001 i.e. after 10 months RCC apologized by sending a person to our home and rectified the “Agreement” and gave us a new “membership certificate” with amendments to pacify us by making it for 15 consecutive years.
• After constantly prodding RCC we got out RCI membership too (which was RCC’s job) in late July 2001 i.e. 10 months (i.e. almost 44 weeks against the promise of 6 weeks) from our date of paying.
• The RCC membership card was not received by us even until Jan’2002 i.e. 16 months later (see our letter dated 28th Jan 2002 to RCC)
• We could not avail our holidays for the years 2000 and 2001. This was despite the promise of at least 3weeks—one welcome week, one ownership week each for the years 2000 and 2001. We got none. Thanks to the slip shoddy job by RCC
• The only satisfying holiday that we ever got thru RCI was at Toshali Resorts, Shillon Bagh, Shimla in the year 2003. We tried Toshali again in the year 2005 (which we could not avail) and in 2006( the bitter experiences of which are narrated in out letter to RCI)
• In the years 2003 and 2005, we were given “Studio Apartment” by RCI at Bhimtal and Toshali respectively despite our higher entitlement of “One Bedroom Aptt.). This was despite the fact that both resorts had surplus “One Bedroom” accommodation available. There has been an attitude of denial throughout by RCI
• Most of the times we could not get our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice during our kids’ vacations even though we asked months in advance. We had to adjust to RCI’s dictates of what was available. Ajit Bhawan in Jodhpur in summer and club Mahindra resort in Binsar were two such destinations which were practically imposed on us. Country Inn, Bhimtal was another. Though the resort was nice yet the timing given to us was inconvenient. We had to travel thru U.P. during Holi—another nightmare when our vehicle was attacked by a mob of 50 people and 2 window panes were broken by the mob. We reached the resort with my kids and wife bleeding with the vehicle full of broken glass. During Holi few would venture thru U.P. for a holiday—the resort was fairly vacant and RCI could only provide us this despite our asking for a resort in Himachal Pradesh
• In the past 5 years from 2005 till 2009, we have been able to avail only one holiday in 2006 (that too unsatisfactorily) of 2 weeks at Toshali--- 2 weeks at one place only because RCI couldn’t offer us any other choice out of the various choices in Himachal Pradesh.
• We have been paying up our dues regularly to RCC and the RCI excepting the annual subscription of Rs. 7000/- for the year 2009 which we have withheld for reasons above
• Apart from this Rs. 1, 36, 253/-, exchange and utility charges have been given to RCI and the respective resorts from time to time. If we include these, our total investment would be around Rs. 2 lakh the interest on which alone would give us a decent hassle-free holiday every year with freedom to choose time and place. But now we are just slaves of RCI and RCC paying them every year without commensurate benefit.
• Both RCC and RCI have been deficient in service and have taken us for a ride

This is an eye-opener for those investing in time-shares--don't enslave yourself!
Those having similar experiences and wanting to discuss and have more details can contact me after 12 P.M.any day on [protected]

Satish Sharma,
23.3.2011
C-2/2499, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi-110070

• Ti
    TimeshareSocial May 26, 2011

As a timeshare owner we can all end the misery of the RCI membership by going to http://www.timesharesocial.com . This site is free to join and you can upload videos of the resort and talk to other timeshare owners as well.

beware

I am a former employee of RCI and I live in Saint John New Brunswick Canada, where the largest RCI contact center has been for 10 years plus. If your an RCI member and have called, then you have dealt with this particular center. A few days ago RCI told all the employees at this center 300 or more that the center is being closed in April so they are all out of jobs and many of them have been there for several years.

They say more and more customers are doing buisness on the net and I know they are but I am willing to bet its because the Canadian and US dollar have been equal for some time so were not cheap enough anymore. You can bet your life when you call in after that you will be talking to the small center in Indy which I doubt or more likely the center in Manila where the labor is dirt cheap and we all know they are masters at speaking english that no one in North America could understand and selling you stuff you dont want without you knowing it.Or they will open a center in some other thrid world *** hole so be aware when you call you will no longer be talking to nice Canadian's and I would keep my credit card number to myself.

Resolved no availability

Talk about crooks! You trade in your nice week, they rent it out and when you want something nice they don't have it. What's wrong with that picture?
Crystal and John Dehaan did not set it up that way! They split up, but Wyndham split the owners up. Don't buy a timeshare unless it belongs to Interval International. Their website is IntervalWorld.com. Ask your salesman if the resort is RCI or II affiliated.

Resolved timeshare booking

I've held a RCI timeshare for 10 years. In those 10 years I've never be satisfied with the product $700 per year in maintenance fees, $179 in booking fees, $50 per year in membership fees and pay taxes on my 1 bedroom condo that I have the priviledge of being able to use for 1 week a year. The maintenance fees have gone from $350 per year to $700 per year. Recently I tried to book a trip on a Thursday and was kicked out of their computer system because they were doing maintenance. I tried again on Monday only to find that the rules and rates had changed. The week I wanted to book was now only available if I combined 2 weeks and paid a $99 fee to combine them so I could get the 1 week I tried to book earlier. I spoke to 3 customer service managers only to find out that they had the ability to book this condo like I had originally wanted but they chose not to do it. Talk about crappy customer service. I'm in the process of trying to sell or give away this white elephant before it costs me another $700 for the 2011 year. Do yourself a favor and never use RCI. Tell your friends never to use them and if you have a condo with them try to unload it as soon as possible.

Resolved room allotments to rci members at rci partner resorts

I had a time share allotted thru RCI at the Hill Country Resorts Kodaikanal Tamil Nadu from June 23 - June 30.
Informed the resort i will be checking in on June 25 and kindly block my rooms.
On arrival on June 25 the registration took 1 hour and then was allotted a room with "NO VIEW" facing the hotel entrance and Gate.
The issue was notified to the manager Mr. Mohan Iyer who quoted the following:
"We provide our time share members only R4 & R5 rooms no Valley facing rooms as they are for our other normal guests."
This is inspite of early notification of my check in.
The resort follows a discrimainatory approach and when i called up the RCI customer service the statement was there were no other rooms available.
Apparently the policy of the resort to treat RCI members as second class guests is not being addressed.
Advice all RCI members to stay away from Hill Country and such resorts if you intend to get value for money you pay.

can't trade

We purchased a timeshare at the Orange Lake resort in Kissimmee Florida about 10 years ago. It's a wonderful timeshare, gorgeous grounds and rooms. It's what they call a 'gold crown' resort, their crème de la crème type resort.

My issue is that we've been there 5 times already so we've really had our fill of Orange Lake. In 10 years, we were NEVER able to trade anything outside of the Orlando area.

When we purchased, they showed us a whole catalogue of resorts and assured us there was nothing we couldn't trade ours for. ..well, unless you want to go to a SKI RESORT or a CARIBBEAN BEACH IN AUGUST - there is NOTHING!!

They told us the maintenance fees rarely went up, well, they went up nearly 500% in the 10 years we've had it!! RCI is a rip off and I would advise anyone considering going with them to run away in the opposite direction!!

Resolved false resort availablity

you find a statment that due to recent activites the resort is no longer available. This notation stays on the site for weeks and weeks so as to provide a false sense of the real number of resorts avaiable. You only find out after going thru each resort. very time consuming.
I have sent emails to RCI and no response.
Check this out on the web.. go to their site, click on carolinas, then south carolina and then Hilton head and then the month
of MAY. You will find 5 resorts listed and 11 weeks as available but when you go thru the process on each one you will find that
NONE are available. Is this fraud?

• Re
    Reola Sep 17, 2010

I totally agree..they dooped us too at Coral Resorts, Hilton Head.
    We typed them a letter, informed them of the many misrepresentations, and told them we wanted a refund of all monies paid and to void out our timeshare contract. Ultimately, we contacted a local lawyer, he typed up a letter demanding a refund of our money and void contract due to miesrepresentation. This past week he contacted us w/ good news. RCI's lawyer is sending out our refund check next wk and voiding our contract. This being after 15 mths in contract w/ them. The lawyer fee was not that bad at all compared to what we would've lost to RCI. So there is hope. Good luck to you

• Si
    sirbryan1955 Nov 16, 2010

• Ti
    TIMESHARER2.0 Nov 16, 2010

Reola, can you share the name of the attorney you used?

CHAG Sep 15, 2014

I too was scammed into buying a timeshare at coral sands. They told us that within 3 months are other timeshare would be sold and if not they still would get a check for $8000 and that would be it. NOT We also were told that we had 21, 333 points in RCI but when I called RCI they have no record of it all they have is the week from are other timeshare. We were told that every year we had about 2 1/2 weeks to use at coral sands but then reading the contract it is every 3 years. WHAT A RIPEOFF!!!I I am not through with these fraudulent people yet. I refuse to pay anymore money into something that is so FALSE>

Resolved property preview

When we were looking for a cab at the Cozumel airport we were ushered to the "travel advisory" desk just before exiting the airport. The fellow at the desk presented a very hard to turn down on a car 4 $50 dollar car . I thought well, we really won't need one but to have a car in exchange for viewing a 90 minute property that we may wan to stay at on out next vacation was not a bad deal.

Several days later, when we went to 11am breakfast, we spent an hour on the ferry and 45 minutes in a van to get to Tres Rios. While waiting in the lobby for breakfast(by now its noon and my 10 year old is ravenous). I was told that we needed to wait for the presetation. They aske dif I had plans for later in the day and I told them we had already purchased tickets for Xcaret. They said there was no way I would get there before 6pm. ANd I exclaimed that I was expecting a 90 minute presenation!

They then very sternly informed me that I was told on several occassions that it was at least a 2 hour presentation. I don't see how they sell anything or get anyone to come back with that type of sales technique!

We may have bought one but after that kind of sneaky hook we had to leave. At that point we were stuck with a car rental bill ( for a car that we did not need in Cozumel) at full rate. What a cluster pain!

We'll just avoid Cancun and Cozumel from now on!

The