Portfolio Recovery Associates / Criminal scam

1 120 corporate boulevardnorfolk va 32502, United States Review updated:
Phone: 18007721413

I have an old debt that I wanted to pay off. Early in the year I called to make arrangements to settle the debt I spoke with Michael. The arrangement was if I paid something up front and then I could have them deduct an amount at my payday from my bank account over a period of time/ which would end about now and then my debt would be paid in full. So they were only authroized to take money from my bank under the agreed conditions. According to the debt amount - they have not followed the agreement and have lied/reneged on this deal and will at this rate continue taking money out until Nov/dec. First of all I think it is a criminal offense evertytime they have taken money from my bank already- since it was authorized only under the original agreement. Now I think when they continue to take money out even past the date of the supposed last withdrawal from my account- that is definitely a criminal offense (stealing- wire theft) each time they do so. I would ask for help and advice on whether I can sue these people/ get the money they have taken from me already/ and or pursue criminal charges for taking money from my account unauthorized.

Comments

• Ks
      5th of Aug, 2011

change your bank account. close that acct and open a new one where they can't take anymore money. anytime time you make a agreement with idiots like these get them in writing. send your correspondence via certified mail with return receipt requested. any time their mouths are moving they lie. get the paper work they sent to you for the agreement and keep til you die!!! If it's an old debt they can't do nothing about that but piss in the wind over and threaten you with BS lies. If you didn't pay the debt years ago why would they buy a debt thinking you would pay it now??? [censored] idiots.

• To
      5th of Aug, 2011

I'm dealing with that same exact issue. I've canceled 2x now and I'm still getting charged. There is no one to call so I feel stuck.

• Ad
      12th of Sep, 2011

Tolleson..
    If they are accessing an account that you did not grant them access to they are comitting a crime.
    Bottom line is to NEVER EVER give them access to a bank account. Pay by money order or Bank Check.
    And never agree to anything unless you get it in writing first. If there is no written agreement prior to any payment then send them nothing.

• Bi
      16th of Dec, 2013

i had a capital one credit card in 2000 and i paid it all off and i even mail in my destroyed the credit card and got a latter from capital one stating that they receive the destroyed and now 10years later they started to harassing about a bill and the account has ben close out now for 13teen years ...and this a sam dont send them any money...

• Pa
      3rd of Oct, 2016

These people keep calling me and calling me. They bought an old debit I had when I went bankrupt. I tried to make payments to the original debtor but they never deducted the payments and sent me during that time to a debt creditor despite our agreement. I listed them in my bankruptcy. Now I hear from these portfolio people at least once a week from various states. It's harassment and I am convinced after speaking to them they are nothing more than criminals. The last call they apologized profusely after I walked them through the whole thing again. They asked me to send them proof of my bankruptcy. However, I do not feel obligated since It had nothing to do with them in the first place. I kind of feel like when will it end? It all began in 2011 and this is 2016.😕 I was forced into bankruptcy due to identity theft in the first place. I hold out no hope for ever having good credit again.

• Cr
      12th of Mar, 2018

These people refuse to send me any kind of info about my accounts. I had my house broken into and all of my credit information is missing from the house! I called them up to do a payment plan and they tried to record my voice agreeing to take money out of my checking account. Do not do business with these people. Get a lawyer if you can.