PNC Bankterrible experience

M Review updated:

Today I began to close my PNC accounts, and to end my business relationship with them.

Over three weeks ago I went into my local branch to deposit two checks. These checks were in Canadian dollars, and written on a Canadian bank.

Firstly, I was asked for my driver's license for identification - to make a DEPOSIT! (I have been an account holder with this branch of PNC since they acquired it from another bank years ago!) I was then left at the counter for at least 10 minutes while the teller dissappeared. (Again - this is for s DEPOSIT!) I did not ask for any cash, just to deposit the checks to my account. For my record of this transaction, I was given a hand-written scrap of paper that did not even have a date written on it.

Over three full weeks later, I have no funds from these checks. (I am originally from Canada, and often cash checks on Canadian banks. It usually takes 5-7 days.) The branch manager made a call and informed me that they are "waiting to see if there are enough funds to cover the checks". (Note that I have called the payors of the check, and the funds were withdrawn from their accounts almost TWO WEEKS AGO!) The branch manager now informs me that it may take up to SIX WEEKS to get my funds! These were not checks for some weird Eastern Bloc country, but for CANADA. I could have walked from Maryland to Canada, cashed the checks, and walked back to Maryland in the time that has elapsed. (Note that the PNC Bank website boasts about their international banking expertise and services.)

In addition to the ridiculous hold time on these checks, and what I consider to be an outright lie about the status of the processing, the local branch manager evidenced a complete lack of interest in my issue. While it would probably not be possible for a branch manager to expedite the corporate processing of these checks, I do believe there are actions a local manager could take to alleviate the issue. While courteous at all times, this manager indicated he was not willing to take any additional action, even though my business was at stake.

I did not choose to be a PNC Bank customer, but accounts I held at two other banks, as well as my house mortgage, are now with PNC due to PNC acquisitions. While I immediately closed one account, I was told I must keep my other account open until these checks (eventually?) clear. Then I am done with PNC Bank. Good Riddance.

• B
      Aug 17, 2011

id have closed my accounts near the end of the busines day and told them to give me all the money in cash as yo charge a fee for checks. then, if the money is a large sum, sit there and count it out with you losing count several times as you went through the stack of bills. Even unbanding any bundles of bills that show how much is in each stack. I got ticked at a bank years ago and closed an account right before closing to the ammount of 78, 000.00. the bank said they may not have that much cash and i said i didnt care since i knew they were requried to have much more than that in vault cash as per banking regulations. So, after about an hour post closing time and watching the branch manager and head teller getting really really ticked off to my satisfaction i left.

They also expressed concerns about my leaving with that much cash and i lifted my shirt to show them "mr baretta" and they went ballistic saying that guns were not permitted in banks and i snapped and showed hem both my ccw permit and also my law enforcement badge as i was at that time a federal officer with the nationa park service. I told them to be my guest and call the cops but remember those of us in law enforcement stick together