PlayPhone Inc. / Unauthorized Subscription

1 CA, United States Review updated:

I also reviewed my March 2009 AT&T cellular phone invoice and noticed an unauthorized subscription charge noted as Mobile Game Show, short code 20888, provider PlayPhone Inc., charged on 03/04/2010, for $14.99.

After reviewing the other complaint on this site and discovering that the subscription was linked to unanswered text messages, I recalled receiving messages, which I just deleted.

I called AT&T and after informing the service employee that I had an unauthorized subscription on my bill, she credited my account for all related charges, which she said would be effective within four hours. She also added Parental Controls to my phone as the way to block these types of unwanted purchases without blocking content. If I should want to purchase something via my phone, I must use a PIN number provided by AT&T. Although not ideal, at least AT&T was able to provide a solution.

I agree that this type of marketing procedure is fraudulent sales and needs to discontinued by PlayPhone immediately. Additionally, ATT should implement a spam blocker.

Comments

• Ed
      4th of May, 2010

I just got the same exact thing but it charged me more than once.

• Br
      8th of May, 2010

I also got the same charge and did not authorize.

It just popped in. I recieved credit from AT&T for the charge, now the $14.99 + tax is back again.

• Li
      13th of May, 2010

it happened to be twice. I thought i got rid of them but somehow they charged me again. It's irritating! and then i asked for a refund and the comment said, the maximum number of refund requests have exceeded and that my refund request was denied...what's all that about? and I'm a student, I really can do better without all those unnecessary charges.

• Ca
      31st of May, 2010

It was very simple to get my refund. I simply called 1-877-312-7002. Just request to dispute the charge stating that u never used or recieved anything in return for this subscrtiption that you are being charged. I also continued to state how I searched the charge on google and came back with forum after forum of complaints of fraud and scam. He didnt like that much, but im sure he gets it all day. Keep your cool and be calm but stern. Chango presto, you will be recieving a check in 7-14 days.

• He
      3rd of Jun, 2010

I got the same charge and googled PlayPhone Inc. to find out what it was and came across this website. I called AT&T and they refunded my account for the full amount. They also applied Parental Control to my account so this won't happen again. When Parental Control is active, you have to put in a pin they email you when you purchase things from the AT&T website, but it doesn't effect iTunes purchases.

• Aa
      6th of Jun, 2010

What they are doing is illegal and if I recieve another charge I will file a lawsuit. This will not be a small claims lawsuit as I will get a lawyer and see what my options are for this type of illegal behavior. I will start a class action against this company! I guess the figure that if a few thousand people dont check their bills and they just pay them thats $30, 000 a month for nothing.

• Sc
      26th of Jan, 2011
    PlayPhone Inc. - cell phone text charges
    Vineland
    New Jersey

This company does not seem to exist and you cannot cancel their service. I want their service cancelled. Please tell me how to get this done!

21st of Feb, 2011

from what i can tell, if you text STOP to the 5 digit code on your bill [and from the "number" the text they sent you came from...it will cancel...we just learned of this yesterday, as far as we can tell, my partner has been getting charged a monthly fee for at least 2 years...he has never once order a ring tone and really never texts either...how are they getting away with this????

• Pk
      10th of Oct, 2011

This company is a scam. As soon as I saw it on the bill, called AT&T and they were quick to refund and add a purchase blocker to my account to prevent future billings.

10th of Dec, 2011

Here is the CEO of the company... Ron Czerny, Founder and Chief Executive Officer. Make him pay by letting him know what you feel.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ron.czerny

• 2n
      22nd of Dec, 2011

i just had the smae charge on my bill as well

• Sw
      2nd of Jan, 2012

Just found a charge on my bill from this bogus company. It is absurd how some company can hack into your phone and the phone company simply allows it. Where is the consumer protection? This country is really going down hill by allowing corporations stealing from the little guy!

• Sm
      25th of Jan, 2012
    20888 Playphone Inc Ringtones - Unauthorized charges to my bill
    sprint
    Lafayette
    Louisiana

I want this unauthorized charge taken off of my phone bill

• Gr
      1st of Mar, 2012

I just received a bill from Sprint with this charge on it. It states that it is for a ringtone, which I know I never ordered. I emailed sprint to dispute, but have not yet heard back. Has anyone else dealt with Sprint on this issue?

• Hu
      1st of Mar, 2012

Same problem here. I called Sprint and they immediately credited my account. They also put a 3rd party blocker on the account for free.

• To
      10th of Mar, 2012

I had a similar experience where I deleted the message which triggered an acceptance of the service. The phone company reversed the charge and put a block on the number.

• Sb
      11th of Mar, 2012

I'm filing a complaint with the Indiana Attorney General about them

• Ds
      8th of Apr, 2012

I just realized I had the same charges on my phone bill. I called AT&T and they were able to refund me for up to 60 days...anything after that I had to take a loss on. I will be checking my bill on a monthly basis instead of just paying it for now on. I also googled PlayPhone, Ince and this is how I came across this page..I never signed up for any of this mess either..but I did get a message on my phone on a few occassions and I didn't pay any attention to them at first than I read one of them and replyed with STOP..this has been happening since the goverment let your cell phone numbers become public and there seems to be nothing you can do about it. I'm not happy about this and I can see/read where there are a number of people not pleased with this situation. Why should I have to apply to something I didn't request and why should I have to have my cell number public for all types of jerks/companies to call my cell. I pay for all incoming and outgoing calls and I don't want or need to pay for unwanted calls.

• Xo
      23rd of Jun, 2012

Same here... Unauthorized charges for IQ Quizz and PlayPhone. AT&T reversed the charges and put a blocker to my account. Still dumbfounded how they are able to enroll someone into a subscription when deleting the text they send!!!

Has anyone filled a small claim Court suit??

• Fe
      17th of Sep, 2012

I to had to call AT&T yesterday to ask where the hell that PlayPhone charge came from. They did refund the $12.99 but not before strongly insinuating that I bought the app by mistake. As if. I am appalled that AT&T is allowing this to happen.