Petsmart / grooming traumatized my puppy

1 Puyallup, WA, United States Review updated:

my 10 week old bichon was handed over to petsmart in puyallup taken to the back and when I picked her up she was confused frightend and upset. I don't know what happened in there but she was so traumatized she required vet treatment, she was depressed, lethargic and vomited 7 times. after 24 hours and iv fluids she was better but never will she go in that store again. she comes out of the vet smiling and normal, but not from what they did to her in petsmart behind doors.

Ke

Comments

6th of Aug, 2008

your dog more than likely got sick, what do you think they did to him? Raped him? ###

• Da
      20th of Aug, 2008

Grooming can be VERY traumatizing to a puppy. There are loud dryers, vibrating clippers, scissors, and barking dogs everywhere. So yes grooming can cause stress for a puppy but at the same time, stress does not cause those symptoms. Most likely your puppy was sick when you got it. Probably from a pet store! Do you think that people who have devoted their lives to animals would purposely be cruel to such a tiny innocent puppy!?!? Can we say paranoid!

• La
      28th of Aug, 2008

I'm not taking my dog to Petsmart any longer for the exact same reason. I have a 7 year old golden retriever who loves going anywhere including the vet. Whenever we get to the Petsmart grooming salon he pulls and refuses to go into the back room. This past week I took him again. That same night he began throwing up and it didn't stop for 2 days. He was lethargic and dehydrated. Several months before we had the same experience but I thought it was something he ate. Now I know better. I don't know if they're sedating them in the back or if it's something else that causes them to experience emotional trauma but never again will he be groomed at petsmart.

• Ha
      24th of Aug, 2009

I used to work for Petsmart. It is extremely LOUD in the back (bathing and holding area) room. Not only from the forced air dryers but all the dogs want to hold a "who can bark the most and loudest contest" when they are in the holding cages. It's nothing we do to provoke them, they just get EXCITED with all the other animals that they don't get to see often. It's very stressful for a puppy who is used to the quiet, stable home environment where no other dogs are barking at them and nothing new or exciting happens to them. That's why the policy for puppies is to keep them there for the shortest amount of time they can. The 2hour express service. Nobody would be working there if they didn't like puppies. At the Petsmart I worked at we had water for each and every dog contantly because they can get over stressed and dehydrate, but sometimes they are too nervous to drink the water. I wish they weren't so nervous but they do get "used" to coming with subsequent visits. Kind of like a kid with the dentist, they have to get it done but they hate going. Also we had a over 12 weeks policy because they have to have their puppy shots "kick in" so they won't catch something. I do not like Petsmart anymore, because the greedy management and gossipy groomers (blah), but it hurts my heart when a customer accuses a fellow groomer of abuse or neglect without understanding their point of view. Again I do not know the details of your experience, but just give us groomers some slack because most likely we do care about your animals as much as you do and we have more experience with animal behavior and issues.