PetSmart / dog abused & injured - petsmart groomer

Moore, OK, United States Review updated:

Pet injured at the hands of petsmart groomer

I have a 2.5 year old, small, 10 pound chihuahua named maverick. He is sweet natured, has been thru obedience training, and is great with kids and other dogs. on november 9, 2010, I  took him to the petsmart groomer perfectly happy... When I picked him up he wasn't himself and just looked tired. I figured it was normal and took him home. The next morning, my poor little dog was in soooo much pain! He could not sit or lay down, could not use the bathroom, was lethargic, didn't want to go for a walk or move at all... So I immediately took him to the vet!  vet did fecal, urine and blood sample tests. The vet found a small amount if blood in his feces but concluded that he hadn't eaten anything bad and didn't have any toxins in his body rather his condition was the result of someone roughly handling him and his nails being cut too short which causes pain.

Today I found out that the groomer let my dog fall off the table, held him down aggressively, and even muzzled him!!! Maverick is obedient, loves people, and other dogs and is very easy going... So I have no clue why a petsmart groomer would do this to him : (.  also on his "report card" the groomer wrote "mav did great!" lie of the year!!! Having to forcefully restrain him hard enough to leave bone bruises on his hips and severe muscular pain and use a muzzle on a little 10 pound dog does not equal "mav did great!!!"

So far, I talked to the manager of the store and he didn't seem to care too much about the abuse my pet clearly suffered : (. I want more than a "sorry that happened, wont happen again" from petsmart!!! The vet gave maverick a shot for the rear body pain he has around his hips,  on his low back & spine, as well as muscle relaxers, and anti-inflammatory pills.

What else should I do??? *I feel like there needs to be an investigation as to what that groomer did & her dog handling capabilities so it doesn't happen again! I also think they should at least refund his grooming and pay his vet bills. I would also like a letter of apology!!! I know that sounds childish,  but I think a letter of apology written to maverick (Or some other compensation like a dog food/toy basket for him or a fruit basket for me) from the grooming salon, the general manager, and petsmart in general would make them take ownership for what has happened and perhaps develop better training or enforce adequate supervision so this doesn't happen again! I would hate to see or hear about any other dogs having to go thru as much pain as my little maverick is in right now. Although my vet told me that here lately she has been getting more cases of sick and injured dogs after petsmart grooming.  this has to change!

Any suggestions as to what I should do next will be greatly appreciated.
-jay

Comments

• Sl
      Nov 12, 2010

If the dog was roughly handled I would demand that Petsmart compensate you for the vet bill. If your dog is snippy, there are easy ways to restrain the dog without injuring him. Threaten to take them to small claims court, and I am sure the manager will change his tune real fast. The only thing you can do is warn your fellow dog lovers about the treatment your dog received at this Petsmart. If the manager isn't taking your concerns seriously than it is obvious he doesn't care.
    What I don't understand is why you would want food for your dog, or anything else from this Petsmart if they injured your dog. Find another place to get your dog groomed at that will treat your dog with the gentleness he deserves.

Nov 12, 2010

Supadcy- Good question. I know he was handled aggressively based on what the vetinarian told me in regards to the bone bruises & deep muscular aches. I did some investigating myself and found out about him falling off the table and being muzzled. That info came from a friend of mines whose Roomate works at that petsmart where the incident happened. I understand it's 3rd party info, but why would someone make that up?

HelpNu- not neccassarily food... I just want something more from Petsmart that requires effort on their part to say sorry and this won't happen again.

Slynns - thank you for your suggestions! I am definitely not taking my dog to be groomed there ever again. It's not that i want petsmart food for my dog, it was just one of the the only things tangible I could think of for them to do to something in apology. I guess I just want them to take ownership and say they are sorry.