Penn Foster School / terrible school

1 AZ, United States Review updated:

I am a current student of Penn Foster. My class is extremely disorganized. They change the class schedule over and over and no notice is given. I have to adjust my real job schedule to accommodate. The teacher tells people over and over she has too many students and is tired of all the emails. They are rude to people and make you feel stupid for "bothering" them.

They have a participation requirement that is completely unclear. They make you spend time reading about teenage girls face book pages in order to make a participation grade.

The school is a Joke and judging by the quality of the other student this degree would carry no weight.

To bad they don't allow you to cancel as I will be out $1000 for almost no education. Their techniques were outdated and the books were flimsy booklets with no meat to them.

Steer clear folks, if your unhappy your screwed they charge a hefty cancellation fee.

Comments

• Br
      20th of Mar, 2009

I don't want to be rude towards anyone's opinion, but my experience has been totally different. Any school online or brick and mortar, will have it's difficulties with instructors or the school itself. You just have to roll with the punches and concentrate on your studies. I have found with online courses it is easier, you just move on, with brick and mortar it causes a lot of confrontation, distracting you from your studies.
    I am a Penn Foster student enrolled in the Veterinary Technitian Associates Degree Program. I have enjoyed all of my studies and classes. This course is accredited by the AVMA and afterwards I will be able to take the State Exam. I have enjoyed my studies and classes so far. I think some people think an online education will be a walk in the park. The classes I am taking are not easy and the tests and exams are not easy either. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication. The instructors I have delt with are professional and have never been rude. However, if you are not following the rules or guidelines of the school, they will let you know. If this happened at a brick and mortar school, you would have a face to face conversation not an email, explaining how to follow the rules. I am not a genious but I have been able to follow the rules just fine. If I do not understand, I can simply post it on the school boards and receive imput from the students or moderators to guide me. The school also offers mentors. As soon as I started I was offered a mentor, which I choose. She is also a student and has helped guide me through my studies and been a great friend. Right now I am on a team for my semester study hall and leading another study hall for other students. I am still in my first semester but I take things seriously and find time to dedicate to help others while helping myself retain the information. If you are an outgoing person and not just in it for the ease of going to school on line, Penn Foster is a great place to be. They are less expensive than any school I have checked out and the payment plan is more than reasonable. All books are included and are text books I have seen for sale at local college book stores. I also want to say that I am 29 years old and haven't been in school since high school and work a full time job as well. To all of those who think online school is an easy way to get a degree or certificate, I want to tell you to rethink that.

• Do
      20th of Jun, 2009

I'm currently a student, at the tail end of the second semester. There is absolutely no requirement to look at some "teenaged girl's Facebook" to obtain your participation grade. I have no idea where you got that idea, but I'm wondering if a lot of your complaints stem from a lack of understanding of how the program actually works.

Of course the instructors are going to get snippy with people. They have to read a ridiculous amount of emails from people who refuse to read simple instructions themselves and expect everything to be explained to them in baby talk. This is a distance learning program, and requires a certain amount of independence and the ability to figure things out for yourself.

• St
      30th of Oct, 2009

I have done all the requirements and I still have not received a P for passing in class participation. And in the forum, she said the forums don't count toward anything? This is all very confusing, I would just like to do my school work and can not get my next shipment. what do I do please help!