Menu
Penn Foster
reviews & complaints

Penn Foster
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

69 complaints
34 resolved 35 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Penn Foster. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
6:15 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I was owed a refund 1 year and 6 months ago... I called In June of 2016 to ask about my refund the told me that my account was closed and that they had to reopen it and that I had to get a letter from my bank stating the credit card I used had a zero balance because the credit card I used to make payment was expired. I got the letter faxed it to them.. I...

B
11:59 am

Penn Foster - grading and follow up

I you are an independent learner than the program is for you. Problem is most brick and mortar colleges will not take your classes and transfer the credits. Another thing is there are loop holes you have to jump through in order to complete a single semester. To be specific I completed an essay over four months ago and it was "loss" and I had to resubmit it, no one called to inform me or anything, I completed my other classes and waited over three weeks expecting my finals to arrive and they never came. So I called and asked what happened and they told me I had to resubmit it. Okay no problem, I resubmitted the essay and they informed me it did not receive a passing grade, so I asked them to fail me because I work two jobs now and cannot take the time to waste of this game of tag. It also takes usually 15-30 minutes to get a hold of an instructor because the call volume is so backed up. Also the material needs to be updated badly.

V
2:02 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have nothing good to say about this Penn Foster, I was not satisfied with it and in my opinion the whole thing is just a waste of time and money. They hardly update their website and materials, they don't teach you anything. I don't know why someone even uses this site. I fell for the positive reviews which were actually fake and only wasted my money which they (of course) refused to give back. Stay away.

R
4:31 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I agree with the other poster that Chairman Russell Day will send emails out threatening to lead to disciplinary action. In their student handbook they state: "Never misrepresent the school or its staff in any online social communities." And if you do so that's grounds for "disciplinary actions." If they send you "thinly veiled threats" – make sure to tell...

C
2:16 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Below is an example of the "teaching" at Penn Foster Teachers are just graders who have no knowledge of the lessons they are grading. Some lessons have not been updated in years. Many of the programs have some of the same "filler" material that has nothing to do with what you're studying. This is what I said about my grade: RE: grading Karen Huber...

2:05 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

two weeks ago i cancelled my subscription with penn foster education, because i no longer could afford to pay for it and did not have internet to do the online work they said they would send me a bill for opting out contract i said ok well they took there monthly payment any way and won't give it back that was my grocery money for my 18 month old daughter i need that money back i have no other means of feeding her for two weeks.

8:45 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My daughter Angela Hinojosa joined and payed down payment on Penn Foster High School program. She decided she wanted to go to a College here in San Antonio, Tx. and receive her GED. Well she called after a week or two later wanting to cancel & they charged her $250.00 dollars which by the way was not told to us if she decided to cancel. It is now on her...

R
11:01 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Anonymous writer: To all the public be aware! Do not enroll at Penn Foster school they will scam your money and if you complaint put a summons on you for no reason by a Judge by the name of Judge Paul J Ware whom thinks he is Gods gift to humanity that no one should be allowed to touch him. He is not a very good judge and is a cheater and a liar and should...

2:12 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My son was enrolled in Job Corps program finishing High School credits, this program helps youth who want and are interested better their lives and is also paid by the government, after two years of my son being in the program he was kicked out of the program due to lack of not being able to finish his High School credits, he was not able to finish High...

2:48 pm

Penn Foster - wrongly accused of account

I have never had an account with Penn Foster. My son and I have the same names but his includes II. For some reason NOBODY includes the II on his name. He enrolled in this school but because THEY DO NOT have a Social Security Number on File THEY WILL NOT take HIS bill off of MY credit report. Apparently they want their money and will do whatever it takes to get it even if an INNOCENT person has to pay. I WILL NEVER USE THIS SCHOOL NOR WILL I RECOMMEND IT FOR ANYBODY ELSE. Please fix this problem ASAP~!~

8:39 am

Penn Foster - no shipments recieved

i have done payed thses people three months payments of $48.00 an i have not recieved any shipment from them for my daughters schooling now i would like to have all my money returned to me because if im going to have pay for the schooling i want the shipments of book an not have my daughter do it online without the books a fail because she didnt have the books so please se if you can get my money back

my email is [email protected] please let me kow what is going on please

1 comment
Jul 11, 2013 3:05 am

I've had the same problem. I've been enrolled since May, have gotten through 2 courses and I'm just now getting my books. The thing is they sent me books for the courses I already finished, so now the books are pretty much useless. And honestly, your daughter isn't missing anything. The books are EXACTLY like the study units online. Word for word. The only thing I like is it's easier to do the Self Check with the book. I had to call Penn Foster to get my books.

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Penn foster school a big scam!!! Do not attend!!! Russell day education chairman is a bad director and also their student serive is bad and gives bad and abusive service revokes students in the middle of the course for no reason even when the student are making a grade of 3.0 average and accuses students for violations that they never did!!! Then they try...

N
5:55 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This complaint is in regards to Penn Foster a so called good school! However, their director of education chairperson Russell Day repeatedly accused me of asking repeated personal questions to the instructors which was a total lie! He instigated that I had been asking personal questions to the instructors and repeatedly tried to threaten me to quit on my...

4:01 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My daughter called Penn Foster and got information on classes back in 2002. A collections company started putting this bogus $69 charge on my credit report back in 2009. After disputing it repeatedly and never being able to get them to remove it I finally gave in and paid the $69 bogus charge to get it off my credit report. Now a different collection...

1:41 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

In 2006 i ask for info about some classes that i thought i might had been interested in enrolling in and i got charged for something i never enrolled into or the info . so now this school has showed up on my credit report and saying I owe them 1, 000.00 dollars. this is bull crap and i want this debt off of my credit report.

11:10 pm

Penn Foster - transcript

In 1994 when Penn Foster was under another name I graduated high school from the previous company. Then a few years ago I signed up for some career courses and decided not to pursue any further with the studies so a few years ago when I asked for my transcripts they didn't want to give or send me any copies of my transcript because I didn't finish the studies a few years ago. That should not have anything to do with when I graduated high school from years ago

2 comments
P

Hi JC77, I am definitely sorry about this. My name is Steve, and I work for Penn Foster and had to check on this as I think somebody gave you the wrong information. I checked on it and was told If your high school program was paid up, and you successfully completed it, you would be eligible to receive your high school transcript for $10.00. However you would not be eligible for any transcripts that are not complete or that you own money on. I am very sorry (on behalf of the school) for the incorrect info. Email me steve.weber(AT)pennfoster(DOT)edu your full name and student id number I can point you in the right direction on how to get your high school transcript. (Please replace the symbols in my email address by the way)

Feb 09, 2012 1:56 pm

I am sorry you had trouble getting a copy your transcript. Can you please contact us at [email protected] so we can investigate this situation? It is not Penn Foster policy to keep our graduates from future successes.

5:07 pm

Penn Foster - terrible customer service

I absolutely never write reviews, but I feel I need to after my experience with the "Enrollment Advisor" at Penn Foster. In calling the school, which they suggest you do by putting the "Call an Enrollment Advisor, " button on their website, I learned just how rude people can actually be.

The woman that I spoke with was short, mean, uninformed and refused to give me information. When I specifically asked questions about Career Services, which she brought up, she said she could not tell me. She continually directed me to the website, and then would angrily sigh each time I asked a follow-up question.

Here's a tip to Penn Foster, if you hire someone who is suppose to work in Customer Service, try to get someone who is both knowledable and able to fake some service for a 5 minute call. If this woman is a representation of the school, I will take my money to Ashworth, Phoenix or somewhere else. Unfortunate.

4 comments
K
Feb 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Does anyone knows if the high school diploma program if the certificate is fake? i just completed the course but they want me to pay 250 dollars but I want to make sure is not fake

Feb 13, 2012 1:59 pm

Regarding your experience with one of our Enrollment Advisors, please accept our sincere apology for this Advisors lack of professionalism. You deserve nothing less than an exceptional experience every time you interact with any representative of Penn Foster. To that end, we want to know what we can do to make things right for you and earn the privilege of becoming a partner in your success. Please contact me at [email protected] One of our Student Services Managers will personally look into your concerns and provide you the information/guidance you were seeking when you first reached out to us for assistance.

Best Regards,

Penn Foster Student Services

P
Dec 07, 2011 12:59 pm

They dont have an assistant course, it's an aid and it useless. But yes, the enrollment advisors are that way for a reason. I am one. We are trained to be like that. We get Qc'd on Every Call and need to go for the sale and answer as few questions as possible. Over 100 advisors get hired every year and on avg. 95 of them are fired within the year, then they hire again and fire again ect. The people you talk to have only been there usually a couple months and need to make these sales. Stay away. Please let other people know as well

I agree. The academic adviser had a very patronizing attitude when I called to ask him a simple question about the clinical training item in the Occupational Therapist Assistant course. He was more interested in the payment plan than answering the question. The problem is that Penn Foster is supposed to offer career oriented courses, but beware: it is useless unless you get some hands-on training. They don't do anything to help you get clinical practice. You will still need to sit for an exam and get certified to practice in your state of residence. So, I don't know...what good is a diploma from Penn Foster?

H
10:46 am

Penn Foster - accounting/billing problem

I attended penn foster over 9 years ago and cancelled my enrollment and sent their stuff back to them and they are still on my back about it.
The statute of limitation ran out on the fair credit reporting act 2 years ago and it should have been removed from my credit report but, these scam artists at penn foster somehow are now claiming that i enrolled this year when ive had nothing to do with them since i cancelled over 9 years ago.
The fact of the matter they are out to ruin peoples credit even if they pay what is in the writing.
I have all the proof and will be in contact with my lawyer and the proper government agencies about this and with any luck a class action will follow.
I would report them through the BBB but, From what i read the BBB and Penn Foster are in the same bed so to speak and will just close the case instead of investigating the issue.

3 comments
Dec 10, 2012 6:08 pm

Penn Foster did the same thing to me. It has been eight years since I took their course. They never billed me for $80 then they reported me to collection agency and said I owed $800, not the $80 that I had already paid when they called me. Now 8 yrs later it is still haunting me. They reported it as a recent problem when it was almost 9 yrs ago. Count me in for the class action. i was just recently denied a refinance because of this and almost did not qualify for a car loan and had to take an 11 % loan for it.
James Hinckley
[email protected]

Sep 11, 2012 1:06 pm

Hello,

I apologize for any inconvenience you might have had, and I believe this can be sorted out. Can you e-mail me at [email protected] with your Student ID so we can get any issues straightened out?

Thank you, and once I again, I do apologize.

H

Yeah so far I have only been in the course for two weeks and already have billed for the course as being late, and my first payment isn't due until next month. When I called them, they were rude and unwilling to resolve the dispute.

K
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

About three weeks ago I paid off my daughter program at Penn Foster. I was late with payments so they denied her access to her classes (which is understandable). It has now been three weeks and she doesn't have access to her classes. When I spoke to a representative about this, they informed me it could take upto a month. I would never recommend anyone...

10:55 pm

Penn Foster - scam giant!

To begin I would like to say this. this is a negative "review" also known as a complaint:) If you even act like you're thinking of doing this school don't.

They only accept credit cards which should pop out and say "scam" automatically. If you don't do it they will call you everyday, this is their "guarantee" if you will.

They will use a phone number machine to make it look like someones calling from your area code which is EXACTLY what they did to me. they will run up your credit card bill and take you to court. their employees will post sweet and positive reviews of their school so you'll feel more comfortable about applying. how deceptive and what a pathetic attempt at robbing you blind.

simple: DON'T DO IT.

1 comment
Jun 05, 2011 11:15 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

How do you explain their A+ rating with the bbb then? Surely people would have filed a report with them.

Penn Foster contacts