Paypal Skype / unauthorized billing!

1 paypal.comSan Jose, CA, United States Review updated:

In the beginning of December 2007 I noticed that there were 3 separate charges (direct debit) to my bank card for Skype usage. These charges were pulled from my Business account with PayPal, who can pull money out of your bank account any time they wish. The 3 charges were all completed on the same day - November 29, 2007. One in the amount of $29.95 and two others both for $10.00 each. I quickly contacted my bank and informed them that these were not authorized charges, etc. I also contacted PayPal and was told to change password, etc which I did instantly.

My bank reversed the charges within 5 days. I also closed out the credit card that was on file with PayPal and had my bank put a 'direct debit' hold on my checking account so that these types of transactions would not go through again. I have had that bank account for 6 years and it is a Business Checking account which totally p*sses me off that I had to remedy the situation this way.

So as I'm waiting for PayPal to clear my negative balance I proceed to go in to PayPal and make sure that Skype is turned off - mind you, unlike a lot of the rip-off stories I hear and read from other people about Skype - I did NOT have a Skype account - never signed up, never used it. Anyway, I changed my PayPal password to a very strict password containing random letters and numbers.

Oddly, on December 20, 2007 I get hit again to my PayPal account. This time I don't know anything about it until I get a call from a PayPal representative wanting me to resolve a negative balance of $46.62 for Skype. I am furious! I tell him to look through the History of my account and he will see that I have had fraudulent Skype charges in the past, he agrees and says he will get the situation taken care of.

Here we sit 3 months later and I still have a negative balance of $46.62. I have called PayPal many times, I have emailed, attempted to file charges through their site, etc and NOT A WORD.

This all seems fishy to me seeing as PayPal owns Skype. I changed my password to this incredibly uncrackable password. I am in Network Security, so I guarantee that my computer is locked down from being hacked - it's my business and it's what I do best. I also use a Bio-Metric Fingerprint reader for all logins online so that they can't use Keystroke technology - and yet, my PayPal account mysteriously gets charged again. Tell me this isn't PayPal committing this fraud because I don't see how else it could happen.

I run a business and unfortunately due to it's (PayPal) popularity, I have been unable to use a lot of services or have had to pay extra because I refuse to use PayPal in any form.

I filed an online Fraud Report through the FBI, but nothing ever came out of it.

Va

Comments

• Th
      1st of Nov, 2008

Rajiv Dutta has been president of all companies Paypal, Ebay and Skype sounds like an inside job. Happened to me also

• Tr
      11th of Nov, 2008

These are all the PayPal phone numbers in the world! Have you tried any of these?
    Let me know

• Cl
      30th of Nov, 2008

They are shady if not illegal in the business ethics department.

Check out this forum post on their own site!!

They practice bait and switch in order to get your credit card number, neve telling you that forwarding your phone IS NOT FREE!!

• By
      19th of Feb, 2009

This just happened to me too. What a scam! I filed complaints with my state attorney general's office and the California BBB. Here's the BS answer I got:

Company's Final Response - Posted 02/15/2009
    As you are aware, the two transactions made to Skype were returned to the funding source on February 8, 2009. PayPal communicates to customers via email and the Resolution Center. It appears that someone responded to a spoof email and clicked on a link within a spoof email on January 27, 2009. It is important to be aware of spoof emails and protect your passwords and financial information. Again, please accept my apology for any inconvenience that this situation may have caused. If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to contact us at executiveoffice@paypal.com. Sincerely, Carrie Executive Escalations PayPal, an eBay Company

They actually blamed it on me!! Said we clicked on a spoof email...or "someone" did. We didn't!! It's a lie! I encourage everyone to complain and complain LOUDLY.

Someone's got to start listening sometime...

19th of Feb, 2009

Try the Federal Trade Commission's website online. You can submit a Complaint online with them. That seems to work better.

Also /link removed/ this website speaks loud too!

27th of Feb, 2009

I found a $13 charge for skype transaction that occurred yesterday (received the email from paypal today). It was a Euro transaction so the payment to skype was $10. I didn't even know what skype was and was shocked to see this unauthorized payment. I thought paypal was supposed to be safe. I contacted paypal and have not gotten a response yet.

• Ct
      11th of Mar, 2009

The exact same thing happened to me this past weekend. I had six $10 charges all on the same day to Skype, 5 were listed as "refunded" and 1 was "complete" - however, all 6 were deducted from my checking account and NONE of them have been credited back, even though they show a "refunded" status on PayPal. I've had the PayPal account for 5 years and never had a problem, I can't believe it isn't as safe as they make it out to be. Per the other postings, I plan on contacting my state's Attorney General's office (our AG in CT is FAMOUS for calling attention and taking care of these types of issues) and will also contact my bank. I also will be incredibly angry if they say this was due to a phishing e-mail. I never rec'd an e-mail from Skype, never signed up for the service and never visited their website - these were completely unauthorized transactions.

• Up
      9th of Oct, 2009

My Skype account was also hijacked. The perpetrator (not me or anyone authorized by me) used up all of my existing Skype credits in a series of 18 separate calls to Taiwan which took place over the course of about 72 minutes. This apparently triggered a recharge of my account, but instead of the $10 recharge that should have happened, there were two $25 recharges. I reported the two $25 recharges to Skype and to PayPal as fraudulent transactions and neither company has yet resolved the problem. PayPal says it's Skype's problem and Skype says it's my problem, even though Skype did nothing to detect the fraudulent activity and erroneously recharged my account in the wrong amounts (their policy says that your initial recharge amount will be used for subsequent recharges, and in my case that was $10 not $50). This is very suspicious since the two companies are both owned by ebay and one has the ability to fund the other. A little too symbiotic, if you know what I mean. The FTC and the CPC should demand greater consumer protection.

• Gg
      5th of Jan, 2010

This has just happened to me as well. Just before Christmas, four $10 charges appeared as debit card transactions at the same time. I called my bank and they removed them, and I had them change my account number and issue a new debit card.

Well, I just logged on to my checking account and there are four MORE charges for $10! I received my new debit card over the weekend but hadn't had a chance to activate it yet. The old debit card number shouldn't have worked. How did these new fraudulent charges go through after I canceled the old account?!

• Kv
      10th of May, 2010

I have used PayPal for years and trusted them with my money, credit card numbers, personal information, etc.. One day I was notified by PayPal that some "suspicious" activity had occurred on my account. Since then my life has been Hell. The activity was not the result of any purchases, selling, or anything at all on my part. In fact, I had not used PayPal for some time and was surprised to hear from them at all. Someone had breached their security and got access to my bank accounts. Only, that is not the worse- the worse part is the way they have handled the situation. They made me feel like the thief, when it is because of them that anything took place! They told me it was their "policy" to freeze my accounts- not refund my money- and make me wait two weeks for an answer from them whether or not they would return the stolen money. When I sign onto my PayPal Account and check on the status of the dispute- it says they are "Waiting on a response from the Seller"! OMG! What Seller- I Never bought anything! This is just real scary and I no longer even feel safe. My personal information has been breached and not only that- it is their "Policy" to not allow me to close my account until they come to a resolution. In other words, the very people who allowed my personal information to go out- also still have control over the said information.
    This is a true outrage.

• Gh
      27th of Jun, 2010

I have also been a victim of this fraudulent activity, and have had no resolution from paypal. In fact have been unable to make contact by phone. I have 13 unauthourised skype transactions and have never used skype. I would like to close my pay pal account, but cannot do so because my account has been frozen. Pay pal have lost all credibility and should be held accountable. How many people have been victims of this scam.

• Pe
      27th of Jan, 2011

I have had the same experience with PayPal/Skype in the last 3 days. It's a nightmare. 9 charges to my PayPal account from Skype. the last 2 while I was on a chat trying to get them to freeze my account. Now they say it was my fault, that I must have used it on a public computer and not logged off properly. I've only made 3 Skype calls in 2 years and all have been from my well protected laptop in my own home. And now PayPal says that I authorized the charges. The only charge I ever authorized was for $10 back when I first signed up. I still had $9.61 left in my account 2 years later. What a ripoff.

• Me
      8th of Jul, 2011

• Me
      15th of Jul, 2011

** UPDATE TO...Skype stole $212 from my account and they used Paypal to do it and now I hear Ebay owns Skype and Paypal. By me33

Pay pal returned my $212.00 and ebay doesn't own Skype. Skype still tried to burn me for $79.00 + $79.00 + $54.00.

• Th
      17th of Sep, 2011

Ebay does in fact OWN SKYPE AND PAYPAL alto they will TELL you they don't. They do but there are different corporate sets ups. Altho the CEO of ALL of these is the SAME person.
    ebay is desperate to SELL Skype since even with these fraud charges Skype is a loser.
    And Paypal is FAMOUS for being even MORE unresponsive to customer complaints than ebay--hard to believe such a thing could be true but there it is---and they don't even hand out a phone number to call if you have a problem.
    They are also notorious for "Freezing" customers accounts for no reason at all. New user? Frozen. Old but infrequent user? Frozen. Customer makes a complaint? (How DO these "customers" manage to make a complaint when WE can't????)---Account frozen. Make a larger than usual sale? Account frozen IN CASE there is a complaint and the $$$ has to be refunded. Result? Account frozen. Zero out your Paypal balance? Account frozen. Getting close to the holidays? Your account MAY be frozen IF you sell in certain categories to PREVENT you from selling anything that MIGHT be considered "competition" to ebays "Diamond Sellers". The reason that they will give you? Oh you MIGHT make too many sales and you might NOT have anough in your account to REFUND all of the scammers who will then claim your item was NOT AS DESCRIBED and get a no questions asked refund from ebay.
    Sooooo---be careful and keep an eye on the Paypal statement! And this is not the ONLY thing they will try and scam you with---I was scammed with allegedly trying to sell a motorcycle---the listing did NOT show up under my ebay listings (I am a seller just not of motorcycles) but surely somehow I would have been charged the FEES at the end---AND penalized when the motorcycle was found to be--fictional. There is a lot of info on this on some ebay FORUMS.

• Sl
      23rd of Mar, 2012
    Paypal.com - Beware - your money is at risk
    Paypal.com
    paypal.com

I have sold a few widgets on eBay. Granted most of my business was on the river, still made a few sales on eBay. I have a history of almost 100 positive fb. I sold a few items this month, and PayPal is holding my funds for no reason. Oh well, of course they replied to my email listing a bunch of reasons none of which applied to me. One of the items sold, is received by the buyer, who gave me a 5-star positive fb, saying that my packaging was amazing & put it in all caps. Still PayPal is sitting on my money and won't release it.

BEWARE - your money is at risk. Besides, PayPal is not covered by FDIC/FSLIC insurance like the banks do, so if they go belly up, your money is gone. If this ever happens though, I'm throwing a party.

• Cl
      27th of Jul, 2012

Yesterday I received 10 different SMS alerts, advising me for online transaction on favor of Skype via PayPal.
    Somebody hacked into my PayPal, buying almost €500, 00 apparently to Skype!
    What scares me is the fact that I haven’t authorized any transaction neither to PayPal or Skype, that my account shows €0 as remain credit without showing any transactions.
    PayPal is investigating, I really hope for a positive resolution,
    It is a terrible fraud!!!