Panera Bread / the new tipping feature when checking out. it's got to go

I use Panera a lot of catering my business lunches and I also go personally probably 3-4 times a month. I was taken back the last two times that I was there to find that on the credit card swipe machine, that there was now an option to leave a tip for the cashier.

I was in the food industry for 10 years and understand a respect the need for tipping. I don't agree with how and when this feature is being used, actually I don't think that it should be used at all. What exactly am I tipping for? This isn't a sit down restaurant where I'm being waited on. What ends up happening in my experience is the person behind the counter is there staring at you while you have to make this decision to either tip or to not tip. I have felt obligated in both instances to tip for this very reason when I don't agree with this new feature in the first place.

I love the food and the service at Panera, but this new feature of asking for tips at checkout has me thinking that I'm going to find someone else for lunch and catering. It's unnecessary. The workers at Panera do nothing more then any other fast food chain do, I'm perplexed why I'm not being asked for a tip.

Put out a jar.. it's less invasive.

Li
May 22, 2017

Comments

• Ro
      31st of May, 2017

Sorry, but the new tipping procedure on the checkout screen is not a good idea... To avoid embarrasment i placed a tip reluctantly and do not feel that i will do this again. I do not believe a counter person who takes an order and does not put food on the table or provide service should not be tipped...I may not be back again.

• Ka
      18th of Sep, 2017

I've been going to Panera for several years and after swiping my payment, was prompted for a tip. Thanks, Panera, for guilting me into a tip prior to receiving any service. After getting under-cooked, still pink chicken on an order previously, I'm done. I will be taking my business elsewhere.

• Is
      1st of Nov, 2017

Why is it that tips are requested only when paying with a card and not cash? And why do some locations ask for tips and other don't? And finally, why am I being asked for a tip BEFORE the service has been provided? I felt guilty at first but not now but then received the wrong order. When that was straightened out I got the wrong side. Too much inconsistency!

• Je
      2nd of Nov, 2017

This was so annoying in fact, that while still in Panera, I googled "Panera tips" to see if I was alone. I'm not tipping BEFORE I get a service in an industry (chain deli's that are in denial they're fast-food) that is already overcharging.
    Definately did not tip and makes the whole place look a lot less classy.

• De
      20th of Nov, 2017
    Best Best Advice +4 Votes

They are asking their customer to supplement their employees wages so they can pocket more money at the top. Look how much the CEO makes and share holders.

• I2
      20th of Apr, 2018

If it was a full service sit down restaurant with waitress service such as Denny's, Village Inn or IHOP then I would tip. For a restaurant where you go to the counter to place and pick up your order like Panera, you do not tip and you should not be expected to leave a tip. But I agree, Panera asking you to leave a tip - especially when you are paying by credit or debit card - amounts to a customer being strong armed into leaving a tip. After all, you wouldn't leave a tip at a fast food restaurant like McDonald's or Burger King?

16th of Dec, 2018

The have stolen almost $30 by using that stupid tip feature... they should be sued..