O'Reillys Auto Parts / ripping people off

1 Springfield, MO, United States Review updated:

Be very careful conducting business with o'reilly auto parts. Look close at their return policy. If you use a credit or debit card and need to return a defective part, they will only credit the original card. This means if you change bank accounts or credit cards, you will be stuck holding the defective part. This policy is an outrage. They are ripping people off. Go check it for yourself on their web-site. I have wrote a letter to o'reillys and will see just how committed they are to customer service.

Va

Comments

11th of Jun, 2008

I'd be upset too if a company went out of their way to prevent your identity from being stolen or the wrong person getting your money. You also have to remember that a lot of a companies policies aren't their policies. That particular policy you are talking about is between your bank and the credit card transaction company, not Oreillys. If you think you are getting ripped off, then you must be the criminal trying to rip someone else off. If it was me, I'd be dang happy that they are insuring that I get my money back and not someone else getting my money back.

• Fi
      25th of Jan, 2018

@Jason Your comment is asinine. This doesn’t help protect your identity in any way shape or form. Ensuring someone else doesn’t get your money back? The person Would have to have the product you bought with them to return it anyway, It’s not like someone could just walk in and claim to be you and say hey give me a refund on this other credit card for an item that I don’t have. If they have the item then it should be refunded, if the original credit card is not available and store policy is to not give cash for credit card purchases as a retail store manager i would authorize an exception in all reasonable cases, unless we don’t have enough cash or something. Your entire comment makes zero sense.

• Kt
      31st of Jul, 2008

I am a shop owner who used OReillys on a regular basis. What I didn't know is that after using my debit card with them, they keep this on file. When my mechanic ordered parts, they pre-charged my credit card without my notification. This was several days before the part was in my hands. This is not legal folks. Not to mention how many parts that have been defective that has caused us to lose several customers. WARNING TO ALL...DO NOT USE OREILLYS

• Sh
      2nd of May, 2011

Woh, wait a minute ! First off, it is for the customer's protection ! Not for the company to give you a hard time over a return part. Second of all, your information should be stored in the computer for warranty purposes, in case you lose your receipt or anything. Now lastly, if it is a debit card purchase, you CAN return it without the card for a cash refund. I am an employee of O'Reilly and have had enough return issues come up to offer decent solutions. Now, as for the gentleman posting Mis-Information about the company holding card information on file, that is totally and completely false !! If anything is kept in the safe at any of the stores, only management has access to it, and also you (the customer) asked to keep a card at the store for future purchases. Now, as far as the purchasing goes, Permission for every sale must be obtained before any transaction can take place, management or otherwise. If you had a issue come up with this nature, you should have requested a meeting personally with the store manager and the district manager for misuse of your card. Do not come on to a public page like this one and claim it to be the fault of O'Reilly and its employees. There is equal fault within your complaint. Do not try to put a bad name all over the company because of negligence with all parties involved in the situation.

• Da
      30th of Jun, 2016

O'Reillys deserves a "bad name", some of their practices are downright unethical, if not illegal. they play a pricing game and get away with it. complain and you get a lame letter from some flunky who could care less. I went in and purchased some items, including a can of Sea Foam fuel system cleaner. I noticed the price tag for that particular item was missing (just that item) and knowing what the price was took it to the check out. When it was rang up, the Sea Foam was 4.00 more than when I bought it before. most places sold it for 7.98 a can, they were charging me 11.99 and if the price tag hadn't been (conveniently) missing I wouldn't have purchased it. I complained about the price and got the "so what" attitude, and since there were people in line and it was already rang up, I took it (my mistake). The bottom line is I am never doing any business with them, nor anyone in my household, and I will let everyone know what they are about and post on Facebook to let everyone know how they do deceptive business tactics and get away with it.

• Cl
      23rd of Aug, 2017

Funny how "real people" who are "not associated with Oreillys at all" jump to their defense on this message section. Spin it. Spin it. Spin it

• Go
      20th of Oct, 2018

Return Policy at O'Reily's. Google search came up with thread which didn't answer my question really. I don't know what their policy is but I needed a part that was $109. and wanted to get partial credit with some brakes that I found out I didn't need after all. Bought them at another O'Rielly's in San Francisco less than 30 days ago, never opened them and Oakland store would not take them back, not even with credit. Never heard of a franchise not taking back something from another store. Annoying, told them forget it I'll go elsewhere