Orbitzbait and switch

Within the past 48 hours I booked an amazing round trip fair from Honolulu Hawaii to Newark NJ. The email confirmation I recieved was a one way trip! I contacted Orbitz about the error on their part via email and they directed me to a customer service telepone number. After being on the phone with a pleasant unnamed customer service rep, Supervisor Marissa and Manager Michelle, code MLG... I was offered the opportunity to purchase another one way flight back from Newark at approx the cost of the first one way (about $300 more than what is being offered online for a round trip ticket!) OR they would be happy to convert my flight to a round trip with extra fees, of course, on top of the round trip ticket price! Did I mention my trip is in OCTOBER! I've used Orbitz many times in the past... NEVER AGAIN. I'll also put out a blog, write every agency I can find and tell everyone I come in contact with NOT TO USE ORBITZ FOR ANYTHING! Oh, and I am in the travel/tourism business...

Lr

Comments

• Ze
      Nov 03, 2010

I am filing a small claims suit against orbitz for overcharging and fraud. Would you be willing to sent me a signed and dated summary of your experience, so I can use it to prove that it is routine practice for Orbitz to screw people

Let me know if you would be willing to help.

Tyler
    [protected]@yahoo.com

• Ri
      Jan 09, 2011

For an upcomig trip to Los Angeles, I found a decent offer on Orbitz: A return flight in United First Class sold as a Continental code share for $2800.-. I booked the flight, checked the seatmap, selected 1A and was happy. A few days later, I double checked departure times and found, to my great surprise, the reservation downgraded to business class. Now, $2800.- for business class is no deal at all. I called Orbitz and asked for what seemed to me a no brainer - that the bait and switch be rectified: Either offer me the product you sold me or refund the transaction. It took three and half hours of meandering discussions until I got a supervisor to offer a refund, "pending approval by management". It's now a week later and I am still waiting for the "pending approval". My suggestion: Always book directly though the airline's website. At least you know what you are getting. And avoid AOrbitz like the plague. They don't take responsibility for anything.