Office Max / poor service!

FYI... Office Depot allows returns without a receipt. I purchased Office Max brand ink cartridges for my HP printer a month ago. They have Office Max brand labels on them and even identification numbers and are full of ink. They worked for a three weeks and then within the past week my printer is saying that they are not compatible. So I called the store asking about an exchange... nope. NO packing, NO receipt, then I get nothing. So spent $34 for something to work a handful of times and then quit. Not only one cartridge, but both the color and black cartridges. Why would I save a receipt for a month on ink cartridges? I've never had this problem before. Guess I'll go to Office Depot from now on or buy HP cartridges which are guaranteed by the company.

Comments

• Be
      23rd of May, 2008

I had the same problem. Have had this happen several times in the past week. So far this week, I've had 3 OfficeMax brand HP cartridges give me an error message and wouldn't work... That's a lot of money! I'm switching to Office Depot, too!

• Ge
      28th of Aug, 2008

If it were your business and ink cartridges was the number one shrink item then you would have a solid return policy, as OfficeMax does with ink. You customers expect evrything to go your way all the time. How are we as employees supposed to know you bought the cartridges three weeks ago with no receipt. If you took it to court you wouldnt get your money back either because you have no proof of purchase. Take your money to officedepot who cares one less common senseless person officemax has to deal with.

• Ra
      19th of Jan, 2009
    Office Max - poor service
    Office Max
    3060 Baldwin Park Boulevard, #b100, Baldwin Park CA 91706
    Baldwin Park
    California
    Phone: 626-338-8994

I received a $70 max perks coupon for quickbooks pro which is now $99 after $100 off in the circulars. My complaints are twofold:

1. Ashley, the clerk at the register, scanned the software at $129.99 instead of $99.00. Why were her register not updated? The promotion started on Sunday. Today is Monday. There's clearly something amiss here.

2. Ashley did not accept the max perks coupon saying it cannot be combined with promotional products despite the fact that the coupon says otherwise. She is clearly wrong. Her supervisor (filipino) agreed with her which was the wrong.

This is an obvious example of poor training, and not accepting the coupon even though it was a legitimate original (not reproduced) coupon that conformed to the terms of its usage.

I will write to the manager of the store and to the ceo of this flagrant and outrageous violation of its own promotional policies. After spending thousands with office max even though it is somewhat less convenient and far away, I will stop shopping there. The store tolerates ingnorance, poor training, and lack of ethics and responsibility.

• So
      21st of Jan, 2009

Do you think that you would be a better manager, I think not. You probably don't realise that this poor girl puts up with ###s like you all the time and you probably made it that much worse. And I hope your not racist.
    -Ashley

• So
      21st of Jan, 2009

So you used half of the product and then wanted to return them. It would be better off if you werent cheap and just bought the HP brand from the beginning. Hopefully you learned a lesson. Oh yea and by the way OfficeDepot is going out of business.

• Le
      28th of Jan, 2009

As stated above, ink is the number one shrink item, therefore no packaging, no receipt=no return. If we were to return every little thing that a customer dislikes then we would have went out of business a long time ago. If you were in our shoes you definately wouldn't return such a thing. We aren't Wal Mart. You can't wait a month and decide you want to return something without a receipt regardles of whether or not it works. If you're lucky the store may give you store credit but that's it. If this is how Office Depot and perhaps Circuit City worked, allowing you to return such items then why don't you look around and realize that that is exactly why they are going out of business. Stores don't make the rules, corporate does, so quit blaming the employees for every little thing that you don't agree with.

• Aa
      8th of Feb, 2009

Do not go to the Office Max in Glendale Arizona off Northern and 101. I have been there multiple times and received horrible service from one of the supervisors names "Christine". She was smiling last time I went there because I was so upset. Avoid this store and go to the one in Arrowhead or the one on Dysart. Do no spend your money at Northern. You will not receive the customer service you deserve. All Office Maxs are a little different and I consistantly receive bad service from this one. Avoid it!!!

11th of Mar, 2009

The customer service at Office Max, Evans, GA is the same POOR service that each complaintant has described above and at this site. The sad thing is that Office Max Corporate Office does not appear to be interested in doing anything about improving their image. Unless the managers realize rather quickly that it is the customers that make it possible for them and other employees to receive a paycheck, going out of business is not far down the road.
    - John S.

• Ro
      19th of Jul, 2009

If you really spent so much money at OfficeMax and went out of your way to shop there I doubt one bad experience would really drive you away unless you were a real prig. You say that it conformed to the terms of usage, but you don't state what they are, I wonder why. Also, for the longest time we were not allowed to accept coupons on sale items. I would suggest that you read your ad more closely too. Sometimes a product is on sale for one price with more taken off is certain products are bought in addition to the one on sale. You don't seem to have confronted the store about the incorrect pricing either, why wouldn't you do that? I think you just made this whole thing up for some petty reason. And for those who say the customer gives us our paycheck, you know the people who say that are usually the ones who spend the least at the store and are the most ignorant.

• Ro
      20th of Jul, 2009

OfficeMax allows returns without the receipt, but you must have the packaging to prove that you didn't just dig it out of the trash somewhere. Without either the receipt or the packaging taking the item back is at the sole discretion of the Store Manager and most of them won't do it. Most of them wouldn't return or replace it anyway if most of the ink was used up. Also Beth, some printers will not accept refurbished ink cartridges, that's just the way they are. If one kind of refurbished cartridge doesn't work do you really think another will?

• Mo
      24th of Jul, 2009

LOL at his whole thing. Classic example of "i had one bad experiance and how DARE YOU!" First off register issues happen at any store. Sometimes sales aren't updated perfectly. that can actually take a couple of DAYS to fix if it is a proogramming error.

next up, that particular coupon itself was a glitch. it wasnt to take an "additional" $75 off of that product. That product wasnt on sale at all OfficeMax locations. The coupon went out to all maxprks customers to get $75 off. if you read it, it said the whole price as of what you were getting $75 off of. if the sale was in your area, take that, its a better deal.

furthermore, i would say that people who actually complain on these sites are mere trolls. The type of people who have a bad day at their job. and your own life is so miserable that the ONLY satisfaction you can get is to pick a fight with people you know are not ALLOWED to fight back, because its the only fight you can win.

Nobody i perfect.. oh, i meant except for you, Princess.

• Ea
      25th of Aug, 2009

Call the store manager during normal weekday hours. I'm sure they will make an effort to fix things. If not, call 1-877-Officemax and make a complaint. That will go thru Dist Mgr to Store Mgr, and then the Store Mgr will have no choice but take care of it.

29th of Jan, 2010
    OfficeMax - poor service
    Officemax
    H
    Milwaukee
    Wisconsin

I bought a camera at officemax in Milwaukee, when it make loud noises and stuck I returned it. Well I had to pay a 15 percent restocking fee for a broken item. The they have a 2 week waiting period to receive your money by mail if you use a check. I was told to come back in 4 days, so I drove the 10 miles back and knew the check had cleared the bank. They still have me waiting 2 weeks for a check by mail. Last time I do business with them.

• Ea
      30th of Jan, 2010

Paying 15% restocking fee is standard whether Officemax, Best Buy, and other major retailers. Places like Walmart don't, but consider the quality of merchandise there and lack of knowledge of the associates. When you make a purchase with a check and then come back in a couple days to make a return, it is standard procedure in many retail business to have a refund check issued from the corporate office. This is basically a security measure because in the past too many people have written checks for items (often times with bogus info), made returns and received case refunds, then gone back and had the bank cancel the check. So as usual, numerous honest people have to be inconvenienced because of a few dishonest people. Best thing to do is to pay cash/debit or credit. Feel free to go elsewhere, but you'll find similar procedures in many quality retail stores.

• La
      6th of Apr, 2010

They could return the money to a gift card then cashed out the gift card for you.

• We
      4th of Jun, 2010

I have to say that Officemax is a total ripoff. We paid a thousand dollars give or take for a laptop and when we got it home it did not work. We returned it three days after the sale and they had the audacity to tell us we had to pay a 15% restock fee and they refused to waive it!!! Then to make matters worse, even though we paid cash they said they did not have the money in the store to refund the purchase and would have to refund the money to my credit card so I had to wait another week to get my money back and to go somewhere else to buy a laptop that actually works! The staff was rude about it and actually seemed to feel like it was justified to take my money from me for an item that was defective. I had to pay these people 150.00 for their mistake!. Why in the world would anyone shop there? How can any store sell you an item and STEAL 150.00 from you when it does not work. I have bought major electronics from many stores and have never been robbed like this from anyone. In my opinion this is no different than stealing. Please think real hard before buying anything expensive from this place because if you get home and it does not work, you WILL be forced to pay 15% of the purchase price if you return it. BAD FORM Office Max. You have lost a good customer and if you keep this up I doubt you will be in business very long.

• Cu
      28th of Sep, 2010

First of all, you ignorant customer. I'm sure that Ashley had plenty of choice things to say about you, and it is NOT Ashley's fault that you product was not ringing at the sale price. There is a plethora of reasons why it may not have rang up, I wont even get into those reasons with you and your small brain though. It has nothing to do with the registers not being updated. If she couldnt accept the coupon, THERE WAS A REASON, you racist piece of S**T.

People like you are the reason employees like Ashley have a bad attitude.