Office Depot - Ativa Lightscribe External DVD Drive / no warranty after 14 days

United States Review updated:
Buyer Beware! Office Depot's Lightscribe DVD external drive sold under the Ativa label has no warranty after 14 days. I didn't notice until mine quit working after 3 months. Ativa manufacturing said they couldn't help call Microsoft (sure). Office Depot said,93that's why we sell an extended warranty. Extended there's NO warranty after 14 days. They essentially said, Tough and offered no help or any suggestion. I wish I'd read the fine print. The item listed for $110! I threw it in the trash.

D  12th of Sep, 2007 by
Nope you should have taken it back into the store. The store if they have the same item will change it out even with out the box. If not ask to speak to the manager be nice and tell him or her if you dont throw a fit you will be happy.
D  27th of Oct, 2007 by
I've purchased Ativa drives from office depot and many other great Ativa products and they never fail me they're great!
A  31st of Oct, 2007 by
My DVD Lightscribe MultiRecorder that I bought in July just quit writing, tonight's Halloween! It isn't me and it isn't Windoze. I'm a computer tech in a small computer shop (30 years, teach occasionally at the college) and I use Linux. I am CERTAIN the problem won't be solved my Micro$oft.

I am not thrilled with a 14 day warranty either. This drive cost me the same as a Sony (I was in a hurry and in an Office Depot). I've used dozens of the Sonys. Some have made literally terabytes of verified backups with only one drive failure after about 2 1/2 years in service. The rest are still functioning, and have whatever might be left of Sony's 12 months parts and workmanship warranty. You know what I'll be using to replace this piece of ...
D  28th of Dec, 2007 by
The website says the drives have a 1 year warranty. I bought an internal one tonight, and the girl at the store said I had a 14 day return to the store warranty, and after that, contact the manufacturer.
D  26th of Mar, 2008 by
It has a 14 day RETURN policy. The warranty is 1 yr. Every store will direct you to the manufacturer for repairs after the intial return policy has expired. You expected the store to take it back after 90 days?!! Make a copy of your receipt, contact the manufacturer, send it back for a replacement.
D  16th of Jul, 2008 by
The product is a Philips Lite-On drive. The bottom posts are correct. It is a 14 day RETURN/EXCHANGE policy. Amazing that people cannot read properly...

Office Depot Logo Office Depot