[Resolved] Netspend Reloadable Spending Card / funds frozen

Austin, TX, US Review updated:
Phone: 1-86netspend

I have had several reloadable netspend cards, since I cashed a check at a local check cashing center and they suggested I could load funds on one to pay my bills online. My disabled brother has his social security being deposited onto one of their cards, also. This month we were supposed to move on 9/1/09. I've been saving the money on one card. On 8/25/09 I received a credit onto my reloadable card from returning a clawfoot tub faucet. Ever since the credit, netspend has frozen my account and all the funds!!! This means my brother and I can't move... And their customer service center in austin, tx is all esl people that are rude and hard to understand. They wanted the faucet co. To send proof of my purchase. They faxed it. Then they wanted my receipt. I faxed it 3 times. They still won't allow me to take my money. I have held on the phone for hours every day, and they just repeat their stupid policies over and over. They said it's against "visa/mastercard rules" for them to accept a credit from a purchase I made with another card. They keep saying my faxes are "invalid" because they are not "the original receipt. " yet they accepted the refund into the account. I asked for a copy of their policy and they said "it is not our policy to give customers a copy of our policy. " I have had to postpone my move, and file complaints with tx better business bureau and the tx attorney general. I have no idea when I will get my money. This is fraud with a capital [censored]

• Resolution statement

• NetSpend Corporation Customer Care's Response, Apr 25, 2013

We understand you are experiencing problems with loading your reload packs.

Please send your information to [protected]@netspend.com and we will be glad to assist you with this.

• NetSpend Corporation Customer Care's Response, Oct 16, 2014

We would appreciate the opportunity to assist you with this. Please send your information to [protected]@netspend.com and we will make sure this is addressed.

• NetSpend Corporation Customer Care's Response, Jan 05, 2017

We understand your concern and we would appreciate the opportunity to assist you. Please email us at [protected]@netspend.com and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

NetSpend

Comments

• Ad
      Sep 03, 2009

Banking regulations require financial institutions to monitor accounts for certain events. A merchant posting a refund to a different card than the one used for the original purchase fits that description. Your bank can't see the original purchase on the account, so it can't verify the source of the funds is legitimate. The process your bank is following is designed to prevent money laundering and theft from merchants. While I’m sure you’re not doing anything like that, the bank is just following the procedure it follows to protect the public and insure the security of its accounts.

If the situation can’t be resolved with documentation (like an original purchase receipt), the bank will likely send the money back to the merchant where you can return to get your refund another way. To avoid this problem in the future, insure that merchants only refund purchases using the card that was involved in the original purchase or in cash. That’s the rule merchants are supposed to follow and it will avoid these problems for you!

Apr 22, 2013

I purchased 2 $500 reload packs a month ago but cannot load the funds onto the cards. I did the same things that the other complaintants have done per request of netspend and have not received an answer from them. And now they wont reply to my emails at all. Since then i have been evicted from my home and my bank account was closed due to indefficiant funds. I never thought losing $1000.00 would screw my life up that bad. And netspend dont care in the least

• Vi
      Oct 16, 2014

Same thing happen to me as i even forewarned 2 consecutive days that a merchant credit for a certain amount more than i purchased was to soon be credited to my account and both times each rep said ok and my card has no holds and will be processed once received. I even wrote a message from my account prior stating the details in writing and response was sent to me still prior to credit stating generic response of 3-5 days and willbe taken care of.

Well tuesday i wake to text alert of my credit, go to grocery store and boom embarassment and later find locked. When i told u 3 times twice by phone and written. Financial systems security... I think not! You processed funds that you knew would lock account and didnt provide me the correct information and mislead me. If it was unauthorized then you don't process regardless to take the proper steps for verification. And stop misleading because that is fraud.

• Kf
      Jan 29, 2015

A horrible company to deal with. So disappointed. My 83 year old mother had her va benefits deposited because she is homebound and i am her caregiver. I use that account for her care.. Or was going to but the day after the deposit netspend froze the account "for her protection" and refused to release the funds until she provides all sorts of documents. Several calls and hours of frustrating communications and in the evening some guy from "corporate" calls my elderly mother and guarantees her account is in good standing and everything is fine... We still can't access her funds. She has not current photo id because she is homebound and elderly... They won't accept anything helpful and certainly refuse to work with us. So her va funds have been confiscated and she has no access to her money. So poor 83 yr old war widow can't get her money to live or pay bills. If i were not here.. How would she live? Netspend is a horrible company. Lying to an elderly woman is beneath contempt.

• Ke
      Jan 03, 2017

Went to Advance Auto to return a fuel pump we ended up not needing, Money got to card and Netspend Locked Acct.
    Sent receipt for return, as well as drove to Parts store to get a printout of purchase and transactions. (Original receipt lost).
    Reference # [protected]

Will be calling a Lawyer, This is poor business.

Your Fraud dept. appears to be the "Fraud".

• Ke
      Jan 03, 2017

Wow.. That was easy, After threatening [email protected] 3 hours later I was Unlocked and am going to see if the Measly 270.00 on the card will work. People, This will not change if you do not make a stand. It's time for Corporate America to Wake the hell up! If Anyone need's help send an email. I'm done being screwed over by them!
    kensappraisalATgmail.com