Netflixdear white people

How is it you think this is in anyway ok? Would you show a programme called dear black people? No probably not. Just because it's white people it is still racism. I'm disgusted to a company like this thinking being racist is ok. I think I may delete my netflix account as my children can see this show when they browse. The only way to resolve this is too take the programme down.

Di
May 02, 2017

Comments

• Gn
      May 04, 2017

I agree.

• Ro
      May 22, 2017

I also agree. It is very insulting and racist. Honorable African Americans reject this double standard and Netflix should as well.

• Si
      May 22, 2017

I agree, clearly and obviously a racist title, show, and hosts. This show is disgusting and promulgates racist attitudes towards white people, who are globally a minority.

• Go
      May 27, 2017

Have you or anyone else in the comments actually watched the show? If not, you need to take a few steps back.

First of all, if White People hadn't given Black People enough hatred, discrimination, and barely concealed disgust in our history alone, never MIND the current state of things, perhaps they wouldn't feel as though there were a direct issue that needed to be addressed. If your argument in response to our country's history of slavery is, "Well, that happened before I was born, what did I personally do to you?" Then, quite frankly, you are missing the point. No one (living, anyway) is being accused of shackling POCs, the problem lies in our countries lack of remorse. Slavery is still mentioned in times like this because White People are doing a terrible job of acknowledging the past and actively working to make sure it doesn't happen again. It's not even being swept under the rug, so many people are still so proud that they have descended from slave owners.

Second, we're going to put a stop to all of this, "I don't see color" B.S. because that's a lie. When people start saying that, then that's when we start thinking that openings like "Dear White People" are 'offensive' and 'racist'. The title doesn't read "Dear Crackers". They are addressing a specific group of people. Are you white? Are you black? Or maybe Polynesian, Korean, Indian? Denying color can very easily turn to denying a very important part of ourselves. Why have different cultures if we're all the same? Because we're not. We as a whole need to start embracing other colors as much as our own. Notice I did not say appropriating. There are plenty of ways to appreciate cultures that are not your own without stealing them. My point is, look at your skin. Is it pale? Are you white? Then apparently, "Dear White People", is addressing you. The title has no hate in it, only acknowledgment. They are being clear in who they are speaking to. If you actually bothered to watch the show, then you would see what a fabulous job they did in exposing all sides of this issue. They reveal how both sides can be so angry with the issue itself, that even White People who are not racist can be portrayed as though they are, or get frustrated with how their own people are spoken about. They discuss the Police problems, again, both sides. This show makes it very clear from the beginning that the goal is not to spread more hate but to spread awareness of just how faceted the problem and the people involved are.

Lastly, while I do suggest a certain amount of parental discretion regarding how much sex occurs in this show, we should be teaching our children about the stains of our past and present, not hiding it from them. We should be showing our children what is wrong in the world through a loving and perceptive lens. You cover your children's ears because "Black people yell so loud", but maybe they wouldn't if they actually felt heard. White people have been writing off POCs for so long that they, quite justifiably, jump to the defensive. They scream and they fight to be heard because it has become standard to assume that they won't be taken seriously if they were to be polite and respectful. And where do you think they got that idea? Probably from White People who scream "Reverse Racism" every time a Black Person speaks out.