NBC Universal Store / Shipping address error (and no cancelation option)

1 Mountain View, CA, United States

I'm from Brazil and my paypal account is registered there. I'm currently in the US, however, and wanted to buy some shirts from the NBC store yesterday night.

After choosing the products, the site showed me an acceptable shipping rate, so I proceeded (I hadn't yet filled the shipping address). Next I was asked to login on paypal, which automatically set the shipping address to my paypal address (in Brazil). The following screen took me back to the NBC site where I corrected the shipping address to the US. I then got through the next step and accidentally confirmed the order.

When doing that I immediately noticed the amount charged was the double of what I expected and the order was actually being sent to Brazil, even though I specified otherwise, with the shipping costs being larger than the actual merchandise.

I looked in the NBC site for a way to cancel, saw a disclaimer that they usually begin processing orders about an hour after they are made (and I couldn't cancel them afterwards), and filed a ticket with type "Change/Cancel Order" specifying the order number in a separate field. I sent the ticket about 10 minutes after the order was completed, and it was late at night, so I was pretty sure some automatic processing should stop it in time.

However, I received an e-mail around noon today saying they couldn't cancel the order since it was already processed.

Though I made a mistake in confirming the purchase, this was caused by confusing information (showing me an acceptable rate when checking out and asking me for my paypal password before the value was set) and a major error in the site (not updating the address correctly. I'm not sure how this error could have happened - I don't want to reach that stage again for fear of doing another non cancellable purchase -, my best guess is there could have been a 'save address' button and I clicked 'proceed to next step', which didn't update).

I immediately realized the mistake, but apparently NBC Store's shipment is so efficient someone went running out of storage immediately with my shirts and thrown them in an international flight in the middle of the night. I doubt they'll arrive so soon, however.

Ce