Navy Federal Credit Union / mortgage application

1 PO Box 3000Merrifield, VA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-336-3000

I recently filled out an online application for a mortgage with navy federal. My wife and I had spent weeks looking for the perfect house. When we found one that she loved and was in our price range (Did I mention I was already pre-qualified for $176, 000) , I submitted the application. I was contacted a day later by stephanie flythe from navy federal credit union. Much to my dismay she informed me that my loan could not be approved (It was for $160, 000). We contacted our realtor and informed her that we could not get the loan. Days later she called and asked for a letter from navy federal stating that we were denied. I called navy federal and spoke, once again, with stephanie flythe. She told me that she could not send the letter because my loan wasn't denied. She had pulled the application because she didn't think it would be approved. So now I have to submit a new application because she can't run my old one since it was from last month (Last week). So I am now still technically under contract to buy a house for which I have not gotten a loan. Riddle me this nfcu... Why would I take the time to fill out and submit an application if I didn't want you to process it? An even better question would be, why can't I be approved for a loan that is less than what I was pre-qualified for? Why can't I be approved for a va loan that is quaranteed by the va to be paid? Isn't that supposed to be the benefit of the va? Doesn't seem like much of a benefit right now. I've been with nfcu for over 8 years and never had any issues with payments on anything so why are they telling me no now without even running my application?

Comments

• Le
      7th of Mar, 2009

Bigger is NOT Better!

Since they have opened their membership up to ALL the other branches.. service has dropped dramatically.

I have been with NFCU since 1983. I must tell you that more & more of my former Navy buddies have a gripe with NFCU. Every loan filled out has an application fee and an appraisal fee. (non refundable)

Honestly, I then they work hard to make you drop your application so they get paid $250 just for answering a telephone call about the loans that they offer. My rate as a CPA is lower then what they charge for a 1/2 hour of
    their time.

Not at all satisfied with the changes in the loan department since 2007. The bank has become MORE FEE ORIENTED not more customer service friendly! They have now opened the membership up to all branches of the service because quite frankly who would support lousy service? Repeatedly! Not many Navy families I am aware of.

• Co
      1st of Jun, 2017

@lester I am agree totally, made a huge mistake of choosing navy federal. No customer service and total incompetence. Took a couple of years off my life from the stress!

• Ba
      17th of Mar, 2009

Around 5 years ago NFCU changed all their documentation to FiServe (a division of Fidelity) thats why the loan process feels more commercial. Its not like they meet in committees to decide your loan anymore. Plus it is my understanding that they make you pay for an upfront appraisal that is only done with their own "in house" specialty selected appraisers. They have even bragged about the fact that their appraisal system is what keeps them from writing bad loans. Even though I hear they have written there fair share because a lot of the VA loans are no money down. http://www.mortgagebankers.org/mbanewslink/issues/2004/05/25.asp#spot1

It is well known that their loans outside of the VA ones are HIGHER then commercial bank rates even when paying PMI at 30 per month.. That's because they are very conservative in their appraisals. http://www.filife.com/reviews/navy-fcu-refinance-mortgage

Check your options with another lender..yes.. they all charge about $350 to do an application. Some of them love to make $$$ just by churning application fees..its should be outlawed the way these Bankers and Credit Unions are allowed to operate. No way to really do comparative shopping without spending at least a thousand dollars ..thats just for a minimum of three lenders.

• Wh
      21st of May, 2009

I was going to ask if you had to pay another Application fee.. looks like others have asked the same question. My bank doesn't charge an application fee.

• Va
      1st of Dec, 2010

We may be able to help. Visit www.myVArefinance.net. We are a bank and not a broker.

• Co
      17th of Jan, 2011

I also have had a issue with Navy Fed. They lost my Earnest Money $1000 for sitting on the application and not processing it. We couldnt close on time because of navy fed (out of contract) the sellers took our earnest money. I will be getting a Real Estate Attorney this week and taking their butts to court! DO NOT GO THROUGH NAVY FED WITH ANY OF YOUR LOANS!!! THEY WILL DO EVERYTHING THEY CAN TO TAKE YOUR MONEY AND THEY DONT GIVE 2 CRAPS ABOUT YOU!!!