Nationwide Insurance / cancellation fee

1 Philadelphia, PA, United States Review updated:

I cancelled my auto insurance with Nationwide and expected to get a partial month refund. I got instead a bill stating that I owe them for cancellation. Now this payment has gone to a collection agency. There is no where in my policy papers that stated that a fee would be charged if cancelled before policy period. I have had insurance with other carriers and cancelled and this has never happened. I have yet to see where in the contract this is stated. I need some kind of help to get rid of this amount that I supposedly owed or a refund of my partial month.

Comments

• Da
      10th of Feb, 2010

I just had the same exact issue. Cancelled my policy after finding better coverage for $250.00 less per coverage period (6 months). Expected to get a portion of that back, instead I got a letter stating the amount I'd paid didn't fully cover the time I was insured. I paid my policy on December 29 . . . I cancelled the policy on January 16 . . . I paid $126.83. The letter states I own an additional $28.36. I WAS COVERED FOR A WHOPPING 18 DAYS!!! Nationwide Insurance is a total rip-off. I'm contacting the insurance commissioner for my state to see if there's any course of action. I know of 5 people just in my small circle of friends who have or are leaving Nationwide Insurance because premium rates doubled or went up even more than that!

• Da
      10th of Feb, 2010

I have lodged a complaint with the NC Department of Insurance.

• Tl
      18th of May, 2011

I have been experiencing the same exact problem. I have been with Nationwide for over 30 years, and just cancelled due to highest rates around. I was one month into a 6 mothe renewal period and got cancellation fee of $263. They also changed to Nationwide, withou my knowledge or permission, two new vehicles I purchased. Apparently the dealer got info off my registration and informed Nationwide which added them to my policy - no notice to me, no permission from me! I have checked all info I have on policy and can find no "cancellation" fee!