Nationwide Insurance / cancellation fee

Philadelphia, PA, United States Review updated:
4.3
I cancelled my auto insurance with Nationwide and expected to get a partial month refund. I got instead a bill stating that I owe them for cancellation. Now this payment has gone to a collection agency. There is no where in my policy papers that stated that a fee would be charged if cancelled before policy period. I have had insurance with other carriers and cancelled and this has never happened. I have yet to see where in the contract this is stated. I need some kind of help to get rid of this amount that I supposedly owed or a refund of my partial month.

Comments

Da
  10th of Feb, 2010
I just had the same exact issue. Cancelled my policy after finding better coverage for $250.00 less per coverage period (6 months). Expected to get a portion of that back, instead I got a letter stating the amount I'd paid didn't fully cover the time I was insured. I paid my policy on December 29 . . . I cancelled the policy on January 16 . . . I paid $126.83. The letter states I own an additional $28.36. I WAS COVERED FOR A WHOPPING 18 DAYS!!! Nationwide Insurance is a total rip-off. I'm contacting the insurance commissioner for my state to see if there's any course of action. I know of 5 people just in my small circle of friends who have or are leaving Nationwide Insurance because premium rates doubled or went up even more than that!
Da
  10th of Feb, 2010
I have lodged a complaint with the NC Department of Insurance.
Tl
  18th of May, 2011
I have been experiencing the same exact problem. I have been with Nationwide for over 30 years, and just cancelled due to highest rates around. I was one month into a 6 mothe renewal period and got cancellation fee of $263. They also changed to Nationwide, withou my knowledge or permission, two new vehicles I purchased. Apparently the dealer got info off my registration and informed Nationwide which added them to my policy - no notice to me, no permission from me! I have checked all info I have on policy and can find no "cancellation" fee!

Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company Logo Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company