National Recovery Agency / getting false charges removed

ME, United States Review updated:

I sent NRA the letter below after asking three times by phone for them to send me validation of the debt. I then filed a complaint with the FTC. Within a week i was sent a letter from the NRA saying it was an error and would be removed from my report.
feel free to use this letter:

NRA Group LLC
Dba: National Recovery Agency
PO Box 67015
Harrisburg, PA [protected]

Dear Collection Manager,
Re: Account listed under name/account number

Months ago I pulled my credit report and noticed a collection from your agency. Not recognizing the debt I called and asked for verification of the debt to please be mailed to me. I have called several times since then and still have not received or been notified of this collection by mail. However, this letter does not imply that I refuse to pay this debt. Rather, I would like to dispute your claim.

As per the FDCPA, I have the right to request a validation of this debt. I request you to prove that I am indeed the party who is by contract obligated to pay off this debt.

I hope you are aware of the fact that reporting any invalidated information to major credit bureaus may constitute defamation of character, as negative listing on credit report does not allow me to enjoy the benefits of good credit. In addition, you must also be aware that until you validate this debt, you can neither continue collection activities nor report this information on my credit report. I'm sure your legal staff will agree that non-compliance with this request is likely to put your company in serious legal trouble with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and other state/federal agencies.

Please attach copies of the following documents:

1.Agreement with your client that authorizes you to collect on this alleged debt.
2.Agreement that bears signature of the alleged debtor wherein he promises to pay the creditor.
3.Complete itemized statement on this account so as to prove that the debt amount you wish to collect is correct.

If I do not receive these documents my lawyer and I will be forced to take further action against your company.

With regards,

Comments

• Ap
      28th of Apr, 2010

Thank you so much! I've been getting the run-around from NRA for the better part of a YEAR now... I'm really hoping that with the help of this letter (and a father who's a retired attorney) I can get this problem cleared up. They really do clam up every time they're asked for information, and I really felt like I was at a dead-end. Why, if there are so many people with this same problem, are these people still in operation!?

• Fr
      6th of May, 2010

Let me know how it goes and don't give up!

• Tt
      6th of Oct, 2010

Please letme know what can I do, cause I've been receiveing their calls for a long time and finally they said that is for charges from Columbia House (another scamers, worthless company), they told me the amount and suppossly the movies I was charged for and the late fee for it. I requested a number, like a record number, clerk number a reference, something that I can go by, because I don't even have an account number with this other company (columbia House), they told me to call them myself if I wanted to fix the problem. Not until i call NRA again and told them I was recording the conversation for my lawyer, then they gave me a REFERENCE NUMBER and I call Columbia House, they appologize, supposly it will be out of my credit but it will take time. The problem is that, ones it hit your credit it takes years to come out, and that is not the only thing I notice in my credit, Lord know in what hell hole I'ma get myself on... If you have any comments or something to further help, please let me know!!