MyHeritage / dna test

United States Review updated:

I have taken several DNA tests from other companies. This by far, had the vaguest results. 94.2% North and West European. I could of told you that! My other reports had distinctions in terms of Spain, England, Ireland, Denmark, etc. This was one of the biggest wastes of money I have ever spent. I get that your database isn't that big, but this is ridiculous. The worst part of this whole process was when I was during the raw data processing, they asked to confirm that my gender was entered correctly in my profile. Wtf? Can't you tell that from the DNA? 🤔

Br
Jan 15, 2019

Comments

• Ca
      Jan 17, 2019

Dear MyHeritage user,

I regret to learn you feel this way regarding your MyHeritage DNA results.

I would like to clarify that when you do a MyHeritage DNA test, we compare your DNA to our models of DNA from different ethnicities to see which ones you match.

MyHeritage Ethnicity Estimates include 42 ethnicities (see: https://bit.ly/2sCLsuK) and this number will be growing even larger because of our own Founder Populations Project that is ongoing (see: https://bit.ly/2ESUEDZ).

The DNA may be very similar between people in neighboring countries. Where there isn't sufficient statistical difference, we keep the Ethnicity Estimate on a higher regional level. Even when there is a statistical difference between ethnicities, it is true for the population's average. Your DNA will always be slightly different than that of the average population, and may, therefore, show a small or a significant part of neighboring ethnicities.

Furthermore, humans have 46 chromosomes. The MyHeritage DNA test looks at the first 44 'autosomal' chromosomes, that aren't the X or Y chromosomes determining your gender, identifying linked DNA segments. It analyses the DNA inherited from your mother and father, four grandparents, eight great-grandparents, and so on - to provide you with a breakdown of your ethnic percentages and connect you with relatives descended from any of your ancestral lines within approximately the last 6 generations

If you have any questions about your research, please feel free to email me personally at catarina.[protected]@myheritage.com via your registered email address. I would be delighted to assist you.

Kind regards,