Motel 6 / hispanic migrant workers

1 Marshalltown, IA, United States Review updated:

Approximately 2 weeks ago a bus load of migrant Hispanic workers arrived at the Motel 6 in Marshalltown, Iowa. Every night around 10:30 pm to 11 pm. the Hispanics spend over one half hour filling 5 gallon buckets of ice from the ice machine to fill coolers they use in a common area on the Motel property(quiet should be maintained after 10 p.m.). I've seen the Manager/Owner of the property mixing with these workers. About a week ago, he scolded white workers (workers working on a natural pipe gas line in Marshalltown, Iowa) for filling their water coolers before going to work (early in the morning) in 80 - 95 degree weather. Seems to be preferential treatment for Hispanic people.

Ln
Jul 19, 2015

Comments

• Al
      26th of Jul, 2015

To whom this matter concerns:

I have been staying at Motel 6 since I was a kid, with my dad and I staying in one when the rate was $6.00 per night, how the franchise I understand got its name. I have a dog, and it's great how pets are allowed to stay free.

Yesterday, July 23, 2015, at about 4 pm I went to check in at the Motel 6 in East Wendover, Utah. The young woman at the check-in counter informed me that she could not rent a room to me because I had been placed on a do not rent list. This took me by complete surprise. I asked her why and she was vague as to the specific reason. During my last stay I told her I had complained of there being cigarette smoke coming into my room, apparently getting into the ventilation system from a smoking room adjacent to the room I was in. (which the front desk attendant informed me was apparently taking place.) This complaint was apparently held against me. I am allergic to cigarette smoke and had a non-smoking room. Upon my departure, the attendant, whose name I believe is KIm, was apologetic, stating that they were going to check out the problem. Little did I know that he was going to hold this violation of the terms against me for the next time I came to stay. I had spoken to him before when I have stayed there without there being any problems, but he apparently held my complaint against me.

However, I wanted to resolve the issue because I needed a place to stay for the night. The young woman gave me Kim's business card and told me to call him. So, I went out to my car and called the number on the card. The first time I called, I was hung up on, and the second time I called the young woman I had just spoken to answered. She then told me Kim was not available, gone until Monday. (Why did she mislead me as a way to contact him?) She was leaving me no way to resolve the issue. Although I was unjustly treated, she was being accusatory toward me.I then hung up and drove away. I have never been treated so wrong by any Motel 6 (or any other chain) in my life, and I stay at them with my dog on a monthly, if not bi-weekly, basis. I was not informed that any problem even existed or told that I would not be allowed to stay at this Motel 6 nor provided a chance to discuss this matter prior to attempting to check in. Instead of trying to be more accommodating and in any way attempting to make up for the breech of the smoke entering the room, I was mistreated a second time.

I feel very wronged by the way I was treated, and as a result I thought it is necessary, as do several others who stay at your chain, to write you this letter of complaint--a first for me. I appreciate you addressing this matter.

Sincerely,