Mfi Family Ancestry / Ancestry.com

Posted:

Credit card fraud!

4.75
I have a complaint about MFI family ancestry. (Aka ancestry.com) The funny thing is I have NEVER heard of these people and would never pay through a web page to find out who my ancestors were. I could care less. I am a college student and do not have extra money to be spending on frivolous things such as this. I want to know who and how they got my credit card number and why in the world they would use it to find dead relatives? Why not buy something useful like food or electronics?

The amount of $35.79 has been charged twice to my account. I called my bank and they said that they cannot do anything until it posts to my account; yet, that money is STILL be deducted from my account. I do NOT have the extra money in my account to support this. However, I did do some searching and found multiple reports of credit card fraud involving MFI*myfamily/ancestry. How are these people allowed to remain in business? More importantly, what can I do to make these people pay for my troubles? Advise smb!

Sincerely,
Sarah.
Complaint comments Comments (88) Complaint country United States Complaint category Unauthorized Charges

Comments

N  23rd of Oct, 2006 by    0 Votes

MFI Ancestry programme - Unauthorized charge to credit card

I was asked to give my credit card number to view a MFI Ancestry programme and now find I have a debit on my card of over $100.00 what can I do as I am a pensioner of 68 years.
A  5th of Dec, 2006 by    0 Votes
I too have have money taken off my mastercard on the 3rd December 2006, once for $139.00 and a second time for 38.02. my credit card company stopped both of these attempts, just in time. I have never had any dealing with this company calling itself my family.com or MFI or my ancestry.

I am not happy with this!
N  11th of Dec, 2006 by    0 Votes
i did not give any information for you to draw out any money from my bank clear this up
A  18th of Dec, 2006 by    0 Votes
I too have the same problem, they took $116 and I'm a college student as well.
A  22nd of Dec, 2006 by    0 Votes
Mine was 79.95 and it was charged (25 Nov 2006) to a visa card that has been blocked for Internet payments for a year. The debit description was: MFI* Ancestry USrec YR
A  27th of Dec, 2006 by    0 Votes
Would like to have my credit card credited with $86.35 with this program that I did not order? It was on Nov. 26, 2006.---- I did not use my DISCOVER card for ....... MFI* ANCESTRY USREC YR 800-262-3787 UT
N  1st of Jan, 2007 by    0 Votes
Have not received any notice why I was charged the amount on my credit card? I would like to be credited with the charge you put in it? This is my second notice to you?
A  4th of Jan, 2007 by    0 Votes
I also inputted my credit card details to view the trial programme on MFI ancestry and I got my credit card bill today and have an amount of R844.26 (South Africa). This is a huge amount that I did not authorize!!!! How can I get this credited to my account. Frantic...
N  21st of Feb, 2007 by    0 Votes

MFI AncestryAcom - Unauthorized charges
United Kingdom

Application was made to this website on January 15th 2007. Transaction number53649200. The number given on my credit card is800-262-3787 GBR. Credit card is Natwest Premier Private Banking. Number 5435-5630-0877-9481. I was not aware of the charge until I received my credit card statement.
A  4th of Mar, 2007 by    0 Votes
I too agree I am a college student too and MFI*MYFAMILY/ANCESTRYS has charged my account too. For an amount of $35.19. I think this company just targets college student. I think we should get together and complain against it to Federal Authorities.
A  12th of Mar, 2007 by    0 Votes
I too received fraud on my credit card in the amount of $572.63. Someone needs to put these people out of business quick and in a hurry.
A  28th of Mar, 2007 by    0 Votes
Well, they got me too. 30 minutes ago I got a call from my bank (Citibank) because they had noticed suspicious activity on my account. There were 2 charges from... guess who... MFI*MYFAMILY/ANCES 800-262-3787.

One for $169.85 and one for $589.55.

I've never even heard of this company. They need to shut these ### down.
A  3rd of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes
Hey, this happened to be about 1 day ago. I just wanted to find out if the charges were dropped or not? Cause they told me that this ### was gonna be dropped but it is still showing on my bank statement.
A  5th of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes
Today this place (MFI Family Ancestry aka Ancestry.com) charged $269 to my Mastercard. I've never heard of them either. HSBC had already put a hold on my account by the time I called because they also viewed the transaction as suspicious activity. Now they've shut down my account, and because the transaction was pending, hopefully that's the end of the story.

I'm not a college student but I do all my banking online, so that must be how they got my account number somehow.
A  5th of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes
Well I got a call from my bank 2 days ago about suspicious activity from none other than MFI ancestry. A total of 549 dollars in my debit account. This company is like the #1 ancestry website in the world, looks reputable yet how do they remain in business with all these reports of fraud and identity theft. My bank is investigating luckily and proves that they are taking peoples money illegally.
A  20th of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes
I noticed this morning that i had 3 charges from these ###s of around $33 each. Bank of america told me to call them and try to resolve it with them. When i called, some woman sounded like an operator. She started asking for all my personal information. Luckily, i was suspicious and didn't give it to her. Half way through the call, i heard kids screaming in the background. This ### is scamming people out of her home. When i called, bank of america to tell them, she'd run up another charge on my card. I told them to cancel my card entirely, as they were too stupid to block this thief. At this point i'm as frustrated with my bank as i'm angry at her. By the way, i'm not a college student. And i have no idea how she got my card.
N  24th of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes

My Family Ancestrys - Stolen money

I was not aware of any think and did not give any one permission to Debit my account for any amount and I went to check my online account and notice that money was taking out so I called my bank and they told me who was doing this and I am filling a dispute about this with my bank.. Some one needs to be sued!!
A  9th of May, 2007 by    0 Votes
I also just found a charge on my bank account for $31.82. I tried to call the company to resolve the situation and maybe find out how they got my card info, but no one conveniently answered. I have no idea how these people got my card info, I have never heard of this company or seen their website until just a few minutes ago when I saw the charge. I will be calling my bank tomorrow to make sure these people are not allowed to get me again.
A  16th of May, 2007 by    0 Votes
I called ancestry's 800 number and demanded to know why and how they charged my brother $109 on his mastercard during my "Free 3 day trial". The guy said it was just a coincidence that he was charged at the same time as the trial. What a load! He assured me that they don't have anything to do with this and those bad hacker people are responsible. I would like to see a class action suit against these people.
N  17th of May, 2007 by    0 Votes

MFI Family Ancestry / Ancestry.com - Ancestry.com is a fraud!

This company charged my credit card for a service that I did not request or even receive. I have never heard of Ancestry.com until the charge showed up on my bank account. Now I have seen many complaints about them. They took 109.00 dollars from my checking account.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree