Menards / menards thinks this will blow over

I was injured at Menard's located on 53rd Ave in Davenport, IA.

I was looking for some 1x4x8 boards, and acquired the help of an employee. The employee was up on the second level of Aisle G out in the lumber yard. I asked the employee to hand me down a couple boards at a time, and the idiot employee handed me down 6-7 boards at the same time.

I grabbed the boards from above my head, and lowered them down to my chest and proceeded to lower them down to the ground while squatting. The employee dropped his end, and I bore the full weight of the boards, and heard a bang, as the boards hit the hand rail about 5 feet above my head.

Immediately I felt something large hit me on the top of my head, and I dropped to my knees. Apparently, a fire extinguisher was hit by the boards and it hit me in the head.

I was totally shocked, and got nauseous, and had some blurry vision. I went and found a manager, and filled out an accident report and my wife drove me to the ER, where they performed a CT scan and discovered I had a mild concussion.

The manager of Menards, Mike, informed me that someone would contact me on Tuesday. I called the store manager on Wednesday and talked to him about it, and he made me feel like it was not his problem and that someone will call me about it eventually.

I didn’t get a call by Thursday, so I called and spoke to the manager again, and he was upset that I had called him and said that he had other things to take care of and asked if there was anything else I needed. I informed him that I will be getting a lawyer and he said, and?

I am pissed that the fire extinguisher was just resting on a perch, and was not attached to anything. It was hanging on a plastic bracket, and that it fell so easily. I have video on my phone after the fact. Showing just how unstable it is on the perch it was sitting on. And I also took some pictures of it as well, for the lawyer.

I am pissed that Menards thinks this will blow over.

Va

Comments

• Me
      15th of Jul, 2008

The store has no authority once an accident occurs. You need to contact their insurance company direct to pay for any medical expenses.

• Ca
      11th of Aug, 2008

Your a ###!! 1-4-8 Are tiny you deserve to get hit the head if you cant carry that!!!

• To
      10th of Sep, 2008

The information you gave about the fire extinguisher is false. I have been to the Menard's in Davenport and I know that the extinguishers are not just resting on persches. They are attached to the 4x6's that hold up the top level and 6 1x4x8's is just like carrying 3 2x4x8's, which extremely light. Not to mention that they are Kiln dried so it's not like they are saturated with water. By the way, Davenport Menard's aisle G is a self serve aisle therefore he did not have to help you!

• Dg
      13th of Dec, 2009

I am going to plant myself firmly into the group who is ok with Fire Extinguishers being easily removed... you know... in case of fire.

• Ug
      11th of Feb, 2011

They don't have district managers or regional managers. They have General Managers at each location. You should have known you weren't paying the full amount from the beginning. Didn't you think it was odd when you got to the register?