Meijer Gas Station / credit card over charge

1 23 Mile RdChesterfield, MI, United States Review updated:
Phone: (586)598-0600

I charged gas on my debit card. I charged $20.00 and my total came to $11.00 and some change. The cashier (Jon) said that the rest of my money would go back to my card. Lo and behold it has been 2 weeks later and the manager told me that I would have to bring a bank statement and a receipt to get my money back. I am at least 30 miles away from the gas station. I will not go back for 8 dollars. I just feel like we can be taken advantage 0f so easily by businesses. This is not the first time that something like this has happened to me. Please be careful when using your cards!!!

De

Comments

• Az
      3rd of Oct, 2010

You really shouldn't prepay for gas with a credit card and expect them to refund the money back to you... most places warn you beforehand that they can't do it, and only prepay for what you will actually use.

If Meijer did anything wrong, it's that they told you that they would be able to refund it back to your card. Next time, prepay for only $10 on your card, or pay with cash. Chalk it up to a lesson learned.

• Na
      19th of May, 2011

Azaleya is actually wrong on this one--the money you prepay is an authorization. When you hang up the handle, what you e.nd up pumping should be the final charge. Kind of like when you run a credit card at a restaurant, the tip is added to the final charge.

If anything, I would say this is a bank issue.