Maytag Dishwasher / recall and details replacement problems!

The dishwasher was listed on a recall, I called in as I had already had two fire from my Maytag side by side frig, I had to replace a five year old $1200 appliance. The parts were shipped and a serviceman came out on the 20th of Feb. Appt was to be between 8 and 12, he arrived at 2:30, at five he says he has to go out to truck and will be right back in, 15 min. later he came in and said that there was something else wrong and Maytag would have to come and fix it, said earliest would be 27th. I heard nothing from anyone, so the 23rd I called and was told that someone would be here the 27th between 8 and 12. At 1 P.M. on the 27th I called and was told I was the last call and it would be about 4:30. I was furious as I do day care and I had to rearrange my schedule but this put having a repair man in my kitchen as I fed the kids snacks and fixed dinner. This also would be running in to pick up time. At three the man called and asked if I had the part, I knew nothing of a needed part, I was told loose wires, he didn't explain himself just hung up. I called A and E and was told that the part?? had never been ordered and I would have to wait. For an hour I was shuffled back and forth with no answer, today a service rep. called and said to call and schedule after I got the part. I told her this was unacceptable as I had a problem with my leg that I cannot stand and do dishes three times a day for an indefinite period, got no response. I called Whirlpool, now I have the choice of paying someone and seeking legal recourse, or letting this badly run company back in my house.

Comments

• Bi
      7th of Mar, 2007

I have a Matag dishwasher that has been recalled. It has been found that it will catch on fire if you have used a liquid rinse agent. I followed their instructions to a T and I am still washing my dishes by hand many weeks later. I cannot use the dishwasher for fear that it will burn my house down, the parts to solve the problem are on backorder and who knows when they will be in, and the final solution is a $75 voucher for another "piece of Maytag (Whirlpool) junk" which might cost me as much as $500. A word to the wise, Stay away from Maytag, Whirlpool, Amana, Kitchen Aide! They could care less that I bought a product in good faith and I cannot use it. I am stuck. Garbage, just Garbage!

• St
      22nd of Mar, 2007

Beware of this recall and stay away from Whirlpool-Maytag.

I will never buy a Maytag (Whirlpool or any of its associated brand names) again.

The repairmen came five times to my house. On the first visit, they had no idea what to do with the recall parts. They asked to take them and the instructions back to the shop to study. They returned and took an hour and a half to install the recall "fix" and in the process blew the previously functioning dishwasher's switches because they wired it incorrectly.

It is almost two months and I still don't have a functioning dishwasher.

I made about a dozen phone calls to Maytag; sent letters to Whirlpool Corporation (without a hint of a reply). I have had five visits from Maytag repairmen (and they claim in their ads that he never has to go out), and I'm still washing dishes by hand. I wouldn't let the original repairmen back in my home, and asked for a new repairman (who is still hampered by Maytag's "backordered" part). Since mid-February Maytag has been telling me that the part had to be backordered.

How can a major corporation not have parts or quick access to parts to repair its own products? Why should a consumer pay for appliances that are defectively designed or don't function at all? From the negative complaints about Maytag-Whirlpool that I'm seeing on the internet and in the media, the Maytag repairman won't be coming out often, as there won't be that many of their products out there to repair. Her certainly won't be coming to my house.

Stay clear of Whirlpool--a lot of junk appliances made in Mexico.

28th of Mar, 2007

I have had the same abysmal lack of service from Maytag and my local service company. The recall was performed Feb. 20, but following installation of the recall kit - service technician was unable to restart my dishwasher. He promised, and indeed supposedly ordered while still in my home, a new motor; motor was to be sent to me and installed at no cost when I rescheduled service. You might guess I have received no motor, no one at the local company knows anything about this situation, no one at Maytag knows about this situation; furthermore, neither company (General Service Co. of San Antonio, TX, or Maytag) seems to care one iota. I have been without a dishwasher for well over one month with absolutely no hope that this will be straightened out by Maytag. In fact, after dozens of calls and a detailed chart of my chronology which I sent certified mail to Maytag's Customer Service address in Cleveland, TN, I get angrier and angrier; the situation gets murkier and murkier. To add insult to injury, I received a few days ago, another recall repair kit by FedEx... not the part I need. When my certified mail to Maytag apparently elicited a phone call from someone (Amanda) yesterday, she informed me that General Service Co. did not have any record of servicing my house. DUH. That is the problem. I have an installed recall part in my dishwasher - which I did not order nor install by myself! And yet, my dishwasher is not working. All I want is for my dishwasher to work as it did before it was serviced!!! I will NEVER buy another Maytag product of any kind ever, ever, ever, ever, ever. And I will advise everyone I know to do the same. At this point, I feel there is no recourse but to tear this out and get another machine. But I am not happy about it!!!

• He
      12th of Jun, 2008

Maytag Dishwasher Model MDB9100AWW

Purchased 7 years ago, recommended top 5 dishwashers by Canadian Consumer Report for cleaning ability, dollar value etc. The reason it got such good ratings for cleaning is because it has a very low volume capacity for dishes to the point of almost ridiculous. Two of us fill it daily! Today I'm shopping for a new dishwasher (7 yrs. later) because the lower rack needs replacing due to the coating peeling off ($150.00) and the electronic panel is fried ($150.00+) and the unit no longer works.

I "used" to be a Maytag fan.