Mathis Brothers / Mathis brothers attempts fraud

1 81-410 Highway 111 Indio, Ca 92201Indio, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 760 775-9000

I bought a new office suite from the Mathis Brothers Store in Indio, on June 9th, 2008. They had 5 of the 7 pieces in stock, and promised the two remaining pieces by the end of the month. We got the 5 pieces home and upon unboxing them, discovered that 2 of them were damaged. We took the damaged goods back. June 25th, they call and say that 2 of the pieces are in, but they can no longer get the Main piece, (the desk), and they offer us the damaged desk that we returned, at a discount. I tell them NO, we want the NEW furniture that we paid for. July 3rd, they call, saying all pieces are in. When we get there, they try giving us the damaged desk that we returned, back to us. We refused it and they said that was the only one they had. We told them to cancel our entire order, and mysteriously they came up with a NEW, in-the- box desk. We Got it home, and when unboxed, discovered that it too had been dropped from a forklift, crushing a corner and breaking it off.

Mathis Brothers offered to have someone repair it. We refused. They told us they would order new, and put notes on the account, to insure only new, undamaged furniture would be delivered. July 10th. The truck got here and started to unload a "Used" unboxed Hutch. I told the driver we did not order that. He then stated to unload a "Used" unboxed desk. I could see cracks in the side, where it had been screwed into another piece of furniture. I told the driver that it was supposed to be New, In-the-Box furniture. He told me, they told him, to tell me it was new. I refused the delivery and called Mathis Brothers. They said that there were notes on my account to only deliver NEW, In-the-box furniture. They could not understand how used furniture was being delivered.

They now tell me that they will deliver "New" furniture, this time, and i should expect delivery by July 25th, almost 2 months after my original purchase. What do you want to bet, they deliver used, damaged furniture again, and try and pawn it off on me as "New"? Use "Extreme" Caution when dealing with this company, as they will attempt to charge you full, premium price, and deliver used, damaged, or Showroom Demo, furniture, and fraudulently pass it off as new.

Bj

Comments

• Co
      23rd of Jul, 2008

Thanks for the input. I was about to purchase a living room, bedroom and kitchen set!

I will print this report and bring it with me to explain my reluctance to purchase with them.

• Bj
      25th of Jul, 2008

Mathis Brothers responded to the BBB complaint. Below is their response:

I want to assure you that no employee is ever instructed to lie. When dealing with imported product, made in China, we are subject to availability of their containers and ship times do change without notice to us. Also, every piece of furniture that is shipped to us requires some touch up.( IS DAMAGED) It goes into trucks and on ships and comes out of the box often with minor touch up repairs required to conceal damage. We will be receiving another container in August. I checked with the manufacturer and it is pushed back to the end of August now. We can exchange it when it arrives with the customers understanding it could be 6 weeks before we have it available. Our Ontario store is also out of stock and waiting on 2 containers.With the amount of trouble the customer has experienced and at least 6 more weeks before completion, I do not want to delay the customer getting their home office settled or any more frustration. I can pick everything up at their convenience and refund their money.

• Kd
      18th of Aug, 2008

Mathis Brothers has lied to me several times about dates I will be receiving a cushion. I purchased a sofa one month prior to delivery and they didn't have the cushion left in stock. They "ordered" it then and said it would be 2-4 weeks. Weeks have gone by and everytime I call customer service they give me a different answer. Not one call has ever been returned to me by a manager, and I have left over three messages. To top it off they now are saying it was never ordered in the first place and it will now be an additional 4-6 weeks. I do not recommend shopping with a company with TERRIBLE customer service!! I will never purchase something from there again, they are incompetent and only care about making a dollar and not the satisfaction of the customer. They are not even willing to give us any compensation for their wrong doing.