Match.com / 6mo guarantee is a rip off!

I joined match.com to find my last true love, i joined for 6months, with a 6mo guarantee. After my 6months where up, i didn't get my 6mo free, i followed all there rules, i notified them of the problem, i even wrote the president of match.com, still they have not kept there word, my advice to people thinking of joining match.com is find a site that keeps there word & has customer service people that take care of the customer. I think match.com is running a racket! Don't join!

Sincerely,
charles watson.

Comments

• Ka
      15th of Dec, 2007

This must have been a fluke for you. I did the six months thing and got six months free. However, I still did not find a suitable match! *sigh*.

• Cc
      10th of Mar, 2008

How true, how true. This is a major rip-off. I fell for the 6 months offer also. It just passed that 6 month date last week. I just got a charge on my credit card of $101.94 for the next six months. I called the company and "Michelle" told me they would refund $66.00 of my money but not all of it. She would not budge. Obviously she was reading her "Script", probably she was a phone operator and had no clue about match.com.
    I received picks from Match that I was in no way interested in. Some were just plain ridiculous. The ones that did ssm like someone I'd like to get to know didn't answer my emails, none, not one. Is there really anyone out there. I seriously doubt it.
    THIS IS A SUPER SCAM!!!! DON'T SIGN-UP!!!!

• Ki
      8th of Jul, 2009

This JUST happened to me! Luckily I had seen this original post before I signed up, so I took a screenshot after every month where Match said I had met all the requirements each month. All of a sudden, last week, as I was checking to see where things stood for the final month, the "six months free" page showed that my profile was not visible -- and that it hadn't been any of the other five months either, thus disqualifying me from the free months. Lucky for me, I have screenshots showing that the other five months they already had indicated I met all the criteria including the profile being visible. Then, i moved to the profile page, and it said not only was my profile visible but had even been put in the spotlight! I wrote to customer service and noted the mistake, said what legal steps I would take if they didn't give me the free months. Not only did they not reply to my email (it said they would within 24 hours), but after I thought it was just a fluke and I was given my free months anyway, then I find a charge from my bank account from them for $110 (plus the fee my bank charged for an overdraft). Match sued to be great -- I have used it in the past, as early as 1998 -- but now they are swindlers and cheats, with no customer service at all. They are being deceptive anyway, by not telling you until after you pay for the first six months that there are criteria for you to match to "earn" the free six months anyway (you must have photos, you must send five emails a month, and your profile must be visible at all times), which by itself is illegal. I am immediately filing formal complaints with the Federal Trade Commission, the Better Business Bureau, two attorneys' general offices, the chairs of the commerce subc0mmittees on Capitol Hill. If they do not refund me for everythign, including my time spent and my anguish, I will file a lawsuit next week. If anyone out there has been cheated in this way and would like to join a class action suit, send me an email at k.in.olney@gmail.com.

• To
      28th of Sep, 2009

Yes, their guarantee is a flat out lie! furthermore, over half of the profiles on that site are fake. Also, I recieved no emails the last two weeks of my subscription but the day after my subscription expired I recieved seven emails! This happened on three seperate subscriptions. They obviously have their own agents sending emails to people without subscriptions hoping to get you to pay so you can read the emails.

The company has proven to me that they have no scrupples, they have no honor, they are liars, and they are decietful. They have no respect for their customers. My advice to anyone interested in online dating is to try a different site. Match.com will not treat you right.

11th of Feb, 2010

SAME this happened to me. Match.com is vile. My subscription ended six months ago and roughly six months later I got another 100$ charge! I never agreed to another subscription either.

• 1t
      21st of Jun, 2010

I am surprised to see I am not the only one who experienced this same problem. I subscribed for their "6 months guranteed" program which PROMISES the member if he/she has not found the right one, he/she will automatically get another 6 months free membership. Well, it just turned out this promise is nothing more than a catch. My 6 months membership just got terminated without any notification. I called the customer care to see what happened to their "6 months gurantee", they told me that they wouldn't be able to provide that due to my "lack of activities". I told them I have been active by trying different methods of communications such as phone and personal emails etc. they said they need see the "progress" of having at leat 5 new dates every month. Then I told them if I wasn't being active, why would I bother to call them to active my membership instead of just letting go? I even told them that I know they give free membership to some people in order to keep them on this site, my date told me that he just keep getting free monthly
    membership because match.com wants to keep him. Not to mention my request is totally legitimate abiding by the contract. I am so upset and disappointed with their fake promise and hostile customer services. Now I am disgusted by this site and wouldn't get on there anyway. It's all about them making money not helping other people as they "PROMISE"!

• Li
      2nd of Feb, 2011

Match.com six month guarantee is false advertising and a scam. I was not informed of the criteria. I think a class action suit is in order

• Ze
      6th of Dec, 2011

I signed up for three months, I clicked the boxes where it said do not renew after three months. Well it renewed and I called match and they said the botton was clicked to renew. They do this to you .

• Sm
      25th of Feb, 2012

I had the six-month guarantee and followed their requirements EVERY single month. When it stated I met all of my requirements for the six months, I stopped looking at the status since it said it was complete. I then received my credit card statement and found that I had been charged for another six months, yet I KNOW I met their requirements! I contacted them that very same day, and they state that they "can't tell" if I met my requirements because it is not visible to them after 30 days. (My credit card statement came a little over 1 month after they added the fee - they charged it right after by previous billing.) They informed me that they send a message to the guarantee "status site" (one you would have to know to click on and find the message that you don't know is coming) asking if I have met someone that I have to answer within 7 days. If I don't answer that question, they cancel the guarantee and charge your card. I checked the guarantee status site, which had been available all along, and found out that it was conveniently down. I was appalled. This is definitely dishonest. 1) They should definitely have access to see your actions. If they are legitimate, they should be able to keep that tracking for as long as there is time for someone to dispute a charge they add without the member's permission. When the person gets the bill, they definitely should be able to check the person's status/eligibility, but they deny being able to. 2) they should email you directly, not try to put it in an obscure area for a very limited time-- and truthfully, if you are still actively on Match it is obvious you are still looking at haven't found your "match". It answers their own question. The question that they put in an obscure area is an attempt for them to get out of their guarantee. It is not shown on the guarantee status site prior...it said I met all requirements. 3) they should be honoring their end of the contract. Period. If their status bar had told me I met ALL of my requirements, which it did, there should not be this unethical method to try to not grant their guarantee and charge you for another six months. Talking to the manager and the Resolutions Dept did nothing...they just say the "can't see" if I met my end of the bargain, which is just an excuse to follow through with their guarantee and try to charge you more money...a lot more money because they charge for another six months. When you dispute the charge, they drop your site...so they ensure they do not give you the six months' free that you earned and that drew you to that longer duration of signing up in the first place. This is definitely an unethical way to try to increase their revenue with unauthorized charges.

• Bl
      19th of Feb, 2014

Match.com is a total rip off. They do fake profiles with fake pics to lure you in. They offer you 6 months free after you pay for the first six months if you do not find a match, that is a down right lie, they do not give you the free six months that you were promised when signing up, and then they charge your credit card another 99.00 for another six months. When you call them they say, "Sorry you didn't qualify for the free six months. I told them I don't want their service any longer and I was not happy with the first six months and certainly do not want to pay for another six months, but they will not refund the money they took from your credit card. They said you used our service for one day into the next six months and now our system cannot refund your money. I'm like are you kidding ME?? You are charging me $99.00 for one day?? This web site should be shut down and who ever runs it should go to jail for fraud!! and for Robbery!! This is just so wrong. I would be happy to be included in a class action suit against these clowns.

• Ju
      10th of Sep, 2014

This is true about lie with 6 months free after 6-mon subscription is over. And I guess I was lucky that I got another credit card, so the old one wasn't valid - thanks to my luck I wasn't charged for the next 6 months by full price as I see other members were charged.
    After 6 months of my subscription was over, my communication stopped and I saw a page with prices to pay and subsriibe. "help"doesn't work - it always has:

We apologize, but we may need to fix your account.
    Using Safari? We need you to allow cookies. By default Safari is set up to block all cookies from third parties and we need our cookie to be set. Go to "Preferences" in the Safari browser, and under "Block Cookies" select "Never". This will allow our Match.com cookie and give you access to our Help Section. Not using Safari? Refresh the page you are on. If that doesn't work, click your back button and click "Help/FAQs" at the bottom of the page. Still not working? Unfortunately, this problem is preventing you from being able to access our help section... Please call us at 1-800-92-MATCH (1-800-926-2824) 8 am to 5 pm central time Monday through Friday. It may be that we have 2 email addresses listed for you, in which case, please let us know which address you would like to use on your account. We apologize for this inconvenience. We will work hard to get this remedied as fast as possible. -- Match.com Customer Care

• Ca
      24th of Sep, 2015

After I did everything right to get the 6 month guaranteed, I was under the assumption that I already got the 6 month free, until I opened my credit card statement! The full 6 month term is already charged on my card. I called the customer service on Match and complained, but he said it’s too late and cannot do anything for me. He said I was supposed to notify them that I did not meet someone special and “claim” the free member ship at the end of the 6 month term. I complained, but he said he’s being doing this for a long time, and he knows there is nothing they would do about it. This is so wrong in many levels and I think they do this on purpose to scam us. I will not come back to this site again.

13th of Jan, 2016

I just finished my six months program with match, I complied with all program requirements after 6 moths I don't received any free another 6 month. Match was trying to charge my cr card for another 6 moths so I cancel my subscription. There is no any guarantee. Same 6 months match scam happened with me about 2 years ago; I complied with all rules but was not able to get any future 6 months. Match support service is simply ignoring all my requests - I'm under impression that there are no amy humans in customer service - only robots. Very bad and disappointing experience. I'm trying now some other dating services.

• Ai
      19th of Jul, 2016

Yes, I experienced the same thing. I did everything every month, but still didn't get the free 6 months. They are liars. If you email them, they never respond. Luckily, my account was not charged a penny, because long before I cancel the renew option on my PayPal. I don't want to waste my time on something doesn't work. Half of the profiles you see are fake or non subscribers. So, what's the point? I recommend POF instead. I actually met a few nice guys and you don't need to break your bank just to contact members.

3rd of Sep, 2016

Similar to most of the comments and justified accurate complaints on this page, this Matchcom system is indeed a big rip-off and scam. It just passed that 6 month date last week meeting all of the 6 month Guarantee criteria. The criteria is sending out 5 emails a month. However, I sent out about 50 emails a month and for each moth, the system said I was doing good. However, at the end of the 6th month all of a sudden I did not qualify for some made up new reasons I never heard of and could barely understand the customer service representative when they tried to explain their false statements. Rather than get for free, I received a charge on my credit card of $143.97 for another six months. It was becoming a full time job talking to different customer service people who all had the same story of deception and putting on hold for at least an hour or more. They read there "Script", handed down from upper management and probably have to comply or they get fired. As of August 2016, they have a new "refund system". When you try to use the new refund system, all of a sudden their big bully customer service rep gets on the phone and says "you are not entitled to a refund" due to some administrative mistake "you" made by not filling out some silly criteria or by not checking the vague box in the account settings. They won't admit they are wrong about anything. Don't bother fighting their scam like I did with 3 hours on the phone getting nowhere except in deeper confusion with their games. If you paid with a credit card, just call your credit company and dispute it, and have them not make payment to Matchcom. A good credit card company will usually be on your side.
    THIS IS A SUPER SCAM!!! Boycott, and if affected by this scam, start or join a class action suit(s).