Massage Envy / cannot get out of a contract

1 Boynton Beach, FL, United States Review updated:

in 2008, my Wife went in for a massage and they talked her into the contract stating that she could cancel at any time.
In November 2008, she lost her job and money got tight so I went into the store in December 2008 and asked them to cancel my contract.
After giving me a hard time, they agreed to cancel and gave me a paper to sign.
This month, I saw a new charge from Massage Envy so I went into the store to ask them what was going on.
The lady at the front desk was very polite about this and told me that my contract had been put on hold instead of being canceled.
She went into the file cabinet and pulled out the paper that I had signed.
At the bottom, written in AFTER I had signed was the words "Three month hold".
Now, I would have NEVER agreed to this and I told her as much. She ageed to cancel me on the spot.
I then asked for a refund.
To make a long story short, not only did I NOT get my refund but the owner left me a message asking me to never come into the store again.

Comments

30th of Aug, 2009

If you are in California I beleive Massage Envy is covered by the laws for 'gift cards' which they issue at the time of purchasing a membership.

• Si
      9th of Sep, 2009

I'll say this to you and all these other pointless complaints. Most of you are on here mad at the world, needing to blame someone. Most of what I've read is because you don't understand how Massage envy works. If you take the time to read the fine print in front of you instead of signing away, you'll see the error is in yourself! Did you sign a contract? Yes? Well then why should you get out of it? Did you initial next to the paragraph which states you are in a contractual agreement for 12 monthts and AFTER the intial membership term, can then be allowed to cancel at any time, with 3o days notice! The "freeze/hold" option does not get you out of paying, it gives you relief for up to 6 months to take care of other overhelming payment, then you must finish up the rest of your contract. And you whiners about "i can't even get a massage" shut up! Pay your monthly fee, and you get a monthly massage. want anymore, you pay the "intro or member" price. If you DO NOT pay your monthly fee or YOU ARE FROZEN AND NOT PAYING, then why should you be able to receive your massage? They do you a favor by giving you some breathing room, and you expect them to bend down. Regarding having an intro. If it is a membership facility, than only members get advantage of the goods. After your "intro" why should you be granted the low memeber price if you choose not to join. You should have been blackballed. Cheap. Ugh. Whiny, ###, "woe is me" people like you are what makes america a melting pot of spoiled ###.

• Pl
      11th of Nov, 2009

I was tricked into a contract too. I was told that I was signing up for a month to month deal and then after 3 days later I called them and said that I actually would not be interested in them deducting my credit card monthly and that I'd just prefer to pay as needed whenever I need a massage. That's when I was told that I was binded to a one year contract and I was stuck. Message Envy is the biggest CROOKS and I'm going to see it thru that my complaint about them goes everywhere so that no one else gets scammed. I'm sure this will catch up to them eventually because I totally believe in KARMA... BBB is going to hear about their San Diego, CA location and any other company I can get thru including the radio stations that advertise it. Message Envy is tricking customers. Make sure you READ THE WHOLE CONTRACT before signing anything and take a copy of that contract the spot. DO NOT TRUST MESSAGE ENVY!!!

• Ju
      7th of Aug, 2010

Massage Envy - Business Mal practice

Please stay away from these frauds.

They lure you into their contracts with false information saying. It will cost you $78 without contract but $39 with contract. What they don't tell you is you have to pay monthly membership charge of $20 which makes it $59 not $39. By the time you know this you must have signed the contract. When you ask them about it any additional massages in the month will cost you $39(nice).

Hassles to get out of the contract:
    Get a doc certificate to get out the contract. What kind of sane person will sign the contract if he knows that he has to get a doc certificate to get out of the contract. But they withheld this information to get you sign the contract. The second is move away 25 miles from you current address ( wow so I have to move away to get out of your contract).

When I insisted that I do not like their service and to get me out of their contract they said to get it from other towns. This is real hypocrisy they say they take you out of their contracts when you move away 25 miles but they want you to go other towns to get service in case you don't like service in this town - Great.

Final touch - Their contracts are auto renewed. Incase you are not careful - you are stuck for another cycle.

Please raise your voice against them.

6th of Jan, 2011

I came to a massage therapy and a representative persuaded me to sign up for a membership. The representative told me that I can cancel the membership any time. Later when I wanted to cancel membership ( becuase of poor massage therapy and poor customer service) they told me that I cannot cancel it for a year. As it appears while the representative was lying in my face about the conditions of the contract I signed the agreement in haste. Legally all looks well, however Massage Envy staff proved to be very unethical. They purposefully confused the customer and tricked him into signing the contract while lying in the customer's face about the contract.

6th of Jan, 2011

I came to Massage Envy and a representative persuaded me to sign up for a membership. The representative told me that I can cancel the membership any time. Later when I wanted to cancel membership ( becuase of poor massage therapy and poor customer service) they told me that I cannot cancel it for a year. As it appears while the representative was lying in my face about the conditions of the contract I signed the agreement in haste. Legally all looks well, however Massage Envy staff proved to be very unethical. They purposefully confused the customer and tricked him into signing the contract while lying in the customer's face about the contract.

Massage Envy- lying to customers

I came to Massage Envy and a representative persuaded me to sign up for a membership. The representative told me that I can cancel the membership any time. Later When I wanted to cancel membership they told me that I cannot cancel it for a year. As it appears while the representative was lying in my face about the conditions of the contract I signed the agreement in haste. Legally all looks well, however Massage Envy staff proved to be very unethical. They purposefully confused the customer and tricked him into signing the contract while lying in the customer's face about the contract.

• Td
      18th of Aug, 2011

Massage Envy rips off their customers
    I too have had a horrible experience with Massage Envy. I did sign a contract which I was told I could cancel at any time. I had a few massages at the store I signed up with Perimeter Atlanta. I then went to another store for my monthly massage as I was told you could do. Then my amex bill came where I was charged on my credit card for my monthly massage. After a month of trying to set an appointment with the manger at the Perimeter store, I asked for the owners name and number. I was only given an email address and of course never received a call or email back. I finally went in to the manager who made me what for a half hour because she was doing payroll. She said she could do nothing and the massage charge would remain and that I would have to book an additional massage that month. I then prepaid my massages for the 6 months remaining. I was able to use one more massage and my year was up leaving me with 5 unused credits. The day before my contract expired I get a call and say I will loose those credits the next day unless I auto renew my contract. I had a meeting with the manager and was told that is the policy and she could do nothing and I would be out my 5 massages. MASSAGE ENVY TREATS THEIR CUSTOMERS TERRIBLY AND NO ONE SHOULD EVER USE THIS COMPANY !!!

• Ku
      2nd of Jan, 2012

WHAT WAS I THINKING!!?? NEVER sign up for a contract such as this! I too am having a horrible time canceling my Massage Envy membership in Folsom, CA. I had a 6 month membership that I thought was ending and then it just so happened that my husband lost his wallet and we had to cancel the credit card. In order to give myself the 30 days to use my 3 unused massage credits AND a $75 gift card that my lovely sister got for me directly from them I paid cash to make my account current. AND, i signed the cancellation form, but OH, it was just barely less than 30 days before the next one so i am supposed to pay again on the next due date. I'm going to try to use my credits and the $75 gift card I'll buy overpriced lotions and stuff before that next due date and then walk away. I hope someone sues the *%$# out of them!

• Dr
      11th of Jan, 2012

They hit you with hard sell after a massage when you are vulnerable, and then later I find out there are all sorts of extra fees if I want a facial instead of a massage, a massage for my husband instead of me. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY, there are plenty good massage therapists out there.

21st of Mar, 2016

At the end of my one year contract I was told it would be billed month to month. That was fine, but I've had some health problems and then some major family catastrophes and have end up having 11 or 12 massages I paid for and not used. When I tried to cancel I was told I had to use them all up in 30 days (I think it was). I see there has been some class-action suits filed because of this issue.
    Is there any recourse?