MagicJack / blocked access to conference numbers

1 5700 GEORGIA AVENUEWest Palm Beach, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 561-586-3380

I have been using the Magic Jack product for the last five months. It worked just as advertised. Yesterday, however, they started blocking calls to domestic conference numbers. I use the Magic Jack almost exclusively to call conference calls for my work from home. The conference numbers are not 800 numbers and that was the reason I bought the device and service, it advertised (and stilladvertises with no disclaimer) unlimited US phone calls.

I used their online chat technical support and explained that they changed the terms of my service midway through my contract. I asked for either a refund on the product or to re enable the access until the end of my first year subscription. They eventually told me they could not help me with either of these issues and told me they were done with the support session. I then called their billing department and asked for a refund and the person I spoke with could not help me at all.

I sent an email to the CFO of the company and explained my complaint. I have not heard a response at all.

A typical consumer like me has almost no recourse for this situation. I would not have purchased the product if the original terms of the agreement included restrictions on domestic conference numbers or any domestic numbers for that matter. If I filed a lawsuit in small claims court it would wind up costing me more than the $40 I paid for the device. This company should be the subject of a class action lawsuit with penalties in the settlement to protect the little guy from predatory practices in the future.

Comments

• Y2
      14th of Oct, 2009

I bought MJ to replace my MA Bell carrier and was okay with it until that day they blocked the external conferencing facilities.

They've really impacted my business. My clients tell me what conferencing facaility to use. I don't tell them. I have to use my cell phone now for most of my conferencing calls.

MJ is definitely NOT 100% equal to my old MA Bell service.

I'd no longer recommend this product to anyone who needs it for any business use.

• Sc
      11th of Nov, 2009

I too have the same problem. I work from home a few days a week and have been relying on a free conference line in order to speak to several of our locations at once and now I cannot due to their decision to alter the terms of service without offering incentives to the customer who was mislead into believing we could make "free unlimited calls inside the US". Great Post.

• To
      11th of May, 2013

I too have purchased MJ for the same reasons as everyone else. To save money. Now before I even get through my first year, MJ is adding charges for conference calling. This is flagrant misleading advertising. There should be a civil suit put against MJ for misleading customers. IT IS NOT FREE!!!

• Cr
      25th of Sep, 2013

Same here. back in 2010, I bought a majicjack to use as a second line for my work from home days. I frequently call into Bell Canada and Verizon (US) conference calls. since around mid 2012 the local numbers began to be blocked, however the 1800 numbers still worked. now it's September 2013, and I'm finding even the toll free numbers are being blocked, or just not connecting, leaving me to tie up my landline for these calls - the very thing I bought MJ to avoid.
    I have 2 months left on the service before it expires...I will not be renewing it...time to look at other providers for my second "line". MJ is cheap to be sure, but you really do get what you pay for.
    Their ads make no mention of all these restrictions. buyer beware.

• Sh
      25th of Sep, 2013

I HAVE THE SAME COMPLAINT...IN OUR WORLD TODAY...WHAT GOOD IS A PHONE ...IF ONE CANNOT MAKE
    CONFERENCE CALLS...GOING BACK TO A LAND LINE...WHAT A JOKE. !!