Lingo / Unauthorized charges

Lingo (VOIP phone service company) has changed the contract term from 12 months to 24 months and contract breach penalty from $59.95 to $99.95 in mid term for all customers by just giving 3 business day notice. This certainly is unethical but is this illegal as well?

They make people sign 15 page contract signed in which they had put a clause "Lingo may change the Terms and Conditions of this Agreement from time to time. Notices will be considered given and effective on the date posted at www.Lingo.com. The Agreement posted supersedes all previously agreed to electronic and written Terms and Conditions". Does this give them right to change contract duration as well?

Va

Comments

• Me
      4th of Dec, 2008

I second this question. I am filing a separate complaint complete with all the details of the unethical business practices of this company. The very day my trial was to run out, I received notice that my term was changed from 6 months to a year, and that cancellation prior to 12 months would cost me 99.95. They take advantage of every loophole in their accounts, and full advantage of the new laws regarding the legally binding affects of electronic signatures.

Basically, these laws state that the minute you "sign, " proof especially if you've authorized credit card activity with their company, you're saying they can do WHATEVER the want and you are legally bound to their every whim.

Something should be done legally to protect people, but I wouldn't have the first clue how to initiate such a class-action suit.

• Dr
    Lingo

I have been a Lingo customer for many years, but when I cancelled was haunted with a false device charge of $75. My experience shows this company is logistically incompetent at best and malintended at worst, and I would strongly advise against anyone doing business with them.

Details: In 11/2012 I cancelled my accounts 83849629 and 84123758. Verbal assurance, "you're done, no charges". Letter a few days later, "return the devices or we'll charge you". I used prepaid UPS tracking number #1Z88X96E9048443645 to return the devices from the 2 accounts (and left a second tra#1z88X96E9044685294 unused). Mayhem. They expect one package = one device, and by God, that's how it will be recorded. After much e-mail, it is finally straightened out and they admit receiving both devices. Three weeks later, a new letter " we charged you $75 for a missing device". Their internal systems are as poor as their logistics management! Here we go again, back to the phone and e-mail. They may have nothing better to do, but I do.

• Dk
      3rd of Jun, 2016

I totally agree with this review. Lingo s***. I cancleed my service long time back and then send a bill after 6 months saying there is a past due. Well, I dont pay for services that I did not use. Evidently, I called lingo customer service a zillion times only to be answered by some **** music. So, I emailed them about the issue and they replied back saying I should hear a response from them in 2 days. Well, I dont know when their two days time get over !!! This service really *******. Never ever use it !

• Li
    California

DO NOT do business with this company.!!!

They are 100% a sham.

Their email address are flase and they loop you in their phone system to get you NO help.

Please help me spread the word, it's not right what they are doing.

lingo.com

This is very bad Service. I took this service since they have cheap calls to India .But there service is really bad. I tried to cancel the service and called the customer service which goes to a call center in india. They wont cancel the service and gave me lot of trouble. Finally after several calls I am able to cancel the service. They still charged me with the cancellation charge. Do not take this service at all.

• Bi
    Texas

I was told upon cancellation that I would get a $99.95 cancellation fee. I was never aware of this when I signed up.
    Lingo service was lousy at best. It only works for one phone and will not work with any sercurity system. If one has to use the internet phone service and aware of its limitation, magicjack is much cheaper alternative.

Lingo

I recently signed up for unlimited calling to 70 countries. It mentions nowhere that there is a 300 minute limit per month. I just beg you as a consumer...DONOT sign up for lingo. I am stuck with a 2 year contract with them and I can only use 300 minutes per month for 23 dollars. I may as well get a cellphone contract. Please know that this company is a scam and will rip you off. Stay away for your own good.