Lifetime Fitness - Woodbury, MN / thanks russ for the big blow!

I applied for a job on-line as a towel desk attendant at the Woodbury center. Russ, the manager of Operations, called me and asked for a short phone interview. After talking to him a few minutes, he asked me to come in and have an in person interview. About three weeks later, he called and left a message on voice mail, saying to give him a call back. I called three times, he never did return my call. I ran into him at the club about four weeks after the interview. I said Hi, and asked him if he got my messages. He said "Yes I did, but I'm sorry,... but I just don't feel that you have the WOW factor" He really emphasized the wow. Why did he even bother to call me and ask me to call him back? It has been hard for me to bring myself back there, due the fear of running into him again. He really knows how to bring down a person's self esteem. Since when does a person have to be beautiful to fold towels and clean the locker room anyway!!! This guy the biggest jerk of all jerks! Thanks RUSS for the big blow!!!

Va

Comments

• Ea
      14th of Jun, 2009

Most fitness club (especcially Lifetime) hiring managers are very discriminating, if they don't think of you as someone they would have sex with or that would boost their sales they usually will not even think of hiring you, yes they are jerks especcially this guy that interviewed you, they think they are better than everyone else and try to cut people down, don't let it get to you.

I have been a fitness trainer in Dallas, TX since the late 80's, it used to be that fitness clubs were not so discriminating, now they discriminate against, gender, race, length of hair/ hair style and especcially against age, sex and disabilities, they violate the whole discrimination laws of the EEOC,
    I am degreed, have several certifications, positive attitude, very well built and still get discriminated against at Lifetime and other facilities because I am over 45.
    I suggest that you get on Lifetime's job email list and apply again, record all they say, if you cannot do this over the phone ask for personal interview, find an employment attorney, file a complaint with EEOC and file a law suit against life time (for at least a years pay). they will be forced to hire you plus you will be awarded a years pay, the hiring manager will be fired and it will go on his record, he will never work in fitness clubs again. I suggest talking to an employment attorney first to find your best plan of action.
    I plan on doing this also.

• Wi
      1st of Mar, 2011

LifeTime Fitness is owned by the biggest piece of [censor] known as Brahm Akradi. One might think he would be a tad bit humbled coming from where he did...cleaning up [censor] and washing your towels at a previous workout facility; it's true...he makes sure you know his story (part of the hiring requirment). Anyway, do not feel bad that you were not hired; the new policy is to only hire idiots so they can get the most out of you, take everything from you, while giving nothing in return. One thing to know is that they will fire you on the spot wthout warning only to fill positions with their friends. The men in power at that facility hate the female species especially if you hold any power. Everyone is disposable at that club. I know any employee that gave his/her all for well over a decade and that job was lifted rigth from under his/her feet...YOU are DISPOSABLE at LTF. You neither want to work there nor be a member because that whole Organization sucks and they do NOT stand behind what that teach/preach. Also, BA has a penis implant...

• Da
      16th of Dec, 2011

I worked for FCA construction, a subsidiary of LTF in charge of architecture and construction. I interacted with Braham on a weekly basis - he was often loud and somewhat aggressive, but at the end of the day this is his life's passion and he takes it very seriously.

In response to the way LTF treats workers - I think the "Wiser than the average Bear" is a disgruntled ex-employee that is not in any way representing the experience most people had at LifeTime. I can say that everyone in our department was paid above industry standard wages and we were given numerous perks like flexible PTO, Free Family Gym Membership, Stock Purchase, 401K, insurance... I don't think that I was taken advantage of, and I don't think anyone in my department (50+ people) would argue that sentiment.

Additionally, they will not fire you on the spot. I am well aware of the hiring/firing process as I was partly responsible for both in my department - you are written up formally several times before the firing process even begins. Furthermore, in MN you can't be fired without cause, we are not an at-will state...

Regardless, I haven't worked there in over 2 years. I left willingly to pursue a different career path, but LTF was an amazing place to work. The motto "Healthy way of Life" was something that I do believe that they took seriously and I do believe that they treated their employees with a great amount of respect. I would also like to add that I am a female - and while you will always encounter misogyny in construction - I believe I was treated with ample respect in the clubs and at the corporate office.

• Fu
      23rd of Mar, 2012

Don't let it get you down - most of these people that work at clubs are of very limited intelligence. Believe me, I've worked for Northwest and Lifetime and they are not the sharpest blades in the drawer.

• Fu
      23rd of Mar, 2012

Dagny Taggert - you show your ignorance of MN law. MN IS a state where an employer can discharge an employee at will - just as an employee can leave at will. Go look up the law.

• Li
      6th of Oct, 2012

Lifetime Fitness loves to workout your wallet.
    The customer comes last.
    Every contract is designed to milk every ounce of money out of the customer.
    Contracts are designed to make quitting the club nearly impossible (you must send a certified letter or show up in the club). Red tape = more lifetime money
    @ lifetime fitness we make you pay for a lifetime!
    aka lifecrime fitness