Liberty Tax Service / unfair business practices

1 57 Hurricane Shoals Rd. Lawrenceville, GA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 770-339-7975

We used this tax service for 2007 and 2008, with no issues. This time we went to a different branch. They did not disclose how much they were charging. Then when we read through the paperwork we call imediately to dispute $440 charge! I even went there, they said they could lower it if they did it different, but we would get less money from Government. After the money was direct deposited, they added an additional charge of $49.95. When we disputed it, they said it was for efiling, which, we thought was free. Again, this was not disclosed. I have tried calling corporate office 4 times, and no one will call me back. DON'T USE THIS TAX SERVICE! It would have been cheaper going to an accountant.

Comments

• Di
      8th of Feb, 2012

OMG. These people in the Long Beach office located off of Artesia Blvd and Downey Avenue totally ruined my taxes for the second year in a row. The owner Dan gave me a coupon (Free Tax Preparation) to use this year. But when I tried to use it he became angry with me and embarrased me in front of dozens of people at his store. I called the corporate office and filed a complaint. Also I have been dealing with the Franchise Tax Board regarding Dependant Child Tax that they disallowed me starting in 2005. This was the only debt that i knew that I owed. I went to Liberty tax and explained to Wiliiam (Tax Preparer) of my situation and. He said that he would help with my prior years debt problem with FTB and would not efile my taxes unless he finds that the FTB will not take my taxes. This idiot called another Liberty Tax and only asked a question then pressed send and sent my efile to the IRS. He did not do what he promised he would do. He did not take time with my unique situation. As of today, it wasn't FTB that was waiting to collect It was DOJ from an incident from 2006. Again William did not carry out his promise to me. I have called everyday to check on the status of my refund with them giving me false hope like, their only going to take a portion, your refund is scheduled to be released by the 8th, etc. So I called this morning and got into a swearing match with the owners wife Patty who told me that I am calling to much after her husband filed my taxes for free. No one in their "to busy" office told me that FMS (Federal Management System) or some crap took my entire tax refund and claimed it as an Off set. I learned it through the mail this morning. Liberty Tax corporate office needs to be more professional and more knowledgable before dealing with real situations in other peoples lives. They dont need to allow just anyone to operate a franchise just to make them a quick dollar. They need to pre-screen people and except an contract from those who have dealt with the General Public before. There services sucks! If there are any lawsuits going please let me know...mshickson562@hotmail.com

• Ke
      15th of Apr, 2012

One thing you have to realize is that the state of Oregon is the only one that requires tax preparers to be pass an 80-hour course, be licensed, and have 30 hours of continuing ed every year. Starting next year the federal government is going to require tax preparers to be registered with the IRS, but in the past just anyone could walk in off the street and get a job preparing taxes in the other states besides Oregon. I'm glad this is happening, because tax prep can get very complicated.

The other thing is that Liberty has a written guarantee, and it sounds like some franchises are choosing not to honor it. As far as contacting corporate, I haven't ever needed to, so I can't give any input on that.