Liberty Tax / ripped off

Ferndale, MI, United States Review updated:

When doing my taxes, they told me that I would have an $8000 dollar return if I filled out a form as a first-time homebuyer. I said I was interested, so they charged me $200 for filling out the form. I sent it immediately. After tax day, I get a letter from the IRS saying that not only was the form filled out wrong, but that I was not even eligible for the credit. Needless to say, I went to the building and found it closed for the year. I talked to an office manager as she came out the back, and she said to call back to talk to the big manager and gave me a contact number. I have called 5 times with no response. No call back, either.

FRAUD!!!

Comments

30th of Apr, 2012

I'm fairly sure you would know if you are a first time home buyer. Since the IRS decided you did not qualify, I am guessing you are not. Knowing this and turning in the form to get the credit is known as tax fraud. Sure the tax preparer screwed you, but you were trying to pull a fast one and got caught.

• Br
      30th of Apr, 2012

One of the qualifications to receive the first time home buyer credit is the home had to be purchased within the last few years, can't remember how many and what the cutoff is off the top of my head. Google it. The tax preparer should have gone over the qualifications for the credit with you and shouldn't be denigrated for any misinformation you gave in the preparation of your taxes as they can only go by the information you give them.