Larson Doors / Poor design and bad advice from Lowes

1 Mesa, AZ, United States Review updated:

I custom ordered a Larson Signature Full View storm door from Lowes after discussing with the Millwork salesman. My first complaint is with the Millwork "expert" who was no expert at all. I specifically told this fellow I wanted a pre-hung door, which he assured me this was, and that the frame had to fit into a 36" wide aluminum frame, which he assured me it would. He was wrong on both counts. You have to assemble this frame as it comes in pieces, hang the door yourself, and it needs a 1/8" over 36" wide doorway to fit properly. I kept the door and made it work, even though I could not use the latch rail side of the frame and had to jury-rig that side of the door to seal it against weather. Plus the door was not entirely square (it has a concave bow in the center) and the latch mechanism is poorly designed. I custom-ordered a left-hinge door, and the supplied mechanism must be mounted so you lift up on the door handle instead of pushing down to open it, so in order to customize it for a left hinge, Larson apparently simply flipped the right hinge style and changed the latch position. This is unacceptable. I am very disappointed, both in the incompetence of the Millwork expert at the Apache Junction Lowes, and in the marginal quality of the door. No more Larson doors for me. When we can afford to we will replace this door. I wonder what Home Depot sells?

Dr
Apr 5, 2013

Comments

• Je
      3rd of Jun, 2014

I bought a new 36" Larson Storm Door from Lowe's. The package contained a 32" Drip guard for the top of the door which leaves a large gap. I have tried to call but no option to talk to a live person. I have left messages and 2 emails over a period of a week and have yet to be contacted. It is June in south GA and summer showers every other day. I have the hole covered in duct tape and cannot use the door at all.

• Fr
      11th of Jun, 2014

Our Larson storm door handle has worn out because of the design. The inside handle has two rivets on which the latch pivots. The rivets are loose and appear to be the problem of not allowing the latch to completely retract so it gets past the inside stop. Such a handle should last for years and years. Poor design!

• Bf
      25th of Jun, 2015

I just had a Larson storm door installed and the design is terrible to say the least...I do not reccomend buying the the door with the retractable screen as it leaves open an area that bugs can fall onto a ledge and can't get them selves out.. I hate this door.. It's disgusting to see this pile of bugs every morning... I contacted the company and got a less than brilliant response back saying they were sorry I was unhappy but that it is possible bugs can get around moving parts... Huh? No moving parts... The frame is made so that the bugs fall in there and pile up...LOTS OF BUGS...every night! It's disgusting... I wanted a new pretty door... Just replaced an older door that was about 30 years old that was made very well, was much heavier than this door... Little did I realize when I shopped for a door I had to look it over well and think about gee... Will bugs fall in there and accumulate? This is a very bad design... My next stop is back to lowes to talk with the store manager... I want a full refund and I also want them to refund the labor I paid to install this piece of crap... They can fight with Larson to get their money from them... This door was desined by a box of rocks and shouldn't be on the market..