LA Fitness / problem cancelling membership

Springfield, MA, United States Review updated:
3.75
I joined la fitness while facility was under construction, attended for a few months, was injured there and decided to stop going.
I handed a note to one of the managers at the club, telling them i no longer would be attending the facility.
They keep calling looking for payment on a cancelled membership.
This group ignores cancellations.
Health and fitness clubs need some serious regulations, country wide, and particularly in massachusettsc7ace

Comments

To
  27th of May, 2015
I honestly wish it were possible to give this gym a lower rated review. I signed up with the gym a few months ago and with signing up you receive a free personal training assessment. After the personal training assessment, I was pressured into signing up for additional sessions in order to better learn the machines. I asked multiple times if it would be able to cancel these sessions because I have had multiple knee surgeries and have chronic pain. I was told by the 2 "Master Trainers" that I signed with that I could cancel at anytime without a problem as long as I called in before the first of the month. Well, fast forward 3 months, and I'm calling in to cancel because I am in so much pain after these sessions that I have trouble walking for multiple days after. I'm told that the only way to get out of this contract is to pay $900 or obtain a note from a physician stating that I have a disability from the front desk associate. I called corporate customer service twice. The first time I was hung up on and the second time I spoke with a "supervisor" who was supposed to call me back. I never received a callback and called my local gym to get the hours that the Operations Manager would be in. I go in 3 times within this time frame and not only am I informed that the man who I signed up with is no longer with the company, I am also told each time that he is not at the facility, The only times this manager is there are Monday through Friday 9-5. Because I have a job, I had to take off from work to come to the facility 3 times. Even though I was lied to by the people selling me the personal training, I was still told the only way out of contract was to obtain a doctor's note. I did and took it to them. They said that they would scan it in and get it cancelled next day. I get a call later stating that they are unable to do this and I need to mail this cancellation to the corporate office. I have just now managed to get this training cancelled and it took going all the way up the ranks to their Regional VP. The absolute worst customer service that I've ever experienced.

LA Fitness International Logo LA Fitness International