LA Fitness / cancellation refund

LA Fitness
Saint Louis Park
It seems to be a recurring theme. You sign up during a promotion that's "ending tomorrow". Three days later, having figured out that it makes more sense to join the club 5 blocks to the east rather than the LA Fitness 5 miles to the west, you mail in your cancellation form on the third business day. ( I recall at the time thinking "What's to keep them from just tossing it in the trash and saying they didn't get it?", but, like a good Minnesotan, tossed that thought aside as just paranoia. Silly me. )
They say to wait 10 days for an email response. Six days later, having not yet heard from them, you inquire about your refund. They call headquarters in Irvine. They say "We did not receive your cancellation form." (I did not send it by certified mail, nor did the instructions say this was required.)
THEN... they have the gall to say "Well, it's WAY too late now to get your refund, but we will cancel it now if you want." That's right. They say "Wait 10 days" and then 6 days later say "It's too late now."
So... LA Fitness takes my $169 [$100 + $30 (1st month) + $30 (last month) + $19 (tax)] for their cost of 6 miles on a treadmill and 3 minutes of warm water for showers - and thinks that's OK.

A  20th of Jul, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I cancelled my memebership and was given the same run around. They claimed that they never recieved my request to cancel my memebership. I was disgusted with the cleaniness of the club as well. This was the main reason I decided to cancel my memebership to begin with. They can see your attendance too but, that doesn't matter.
N  11th of Jan, 2011 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Advertising Material

The law firm of Berger & Montague, P.C., located in Philadelphia PA, is currently prosecuting a class action suit against L.A. Fitness International LLC in federal court. The suit alleges that L.A. Fitness’ cancellation procedures for its monthly membership agreements are unfair and deceptive because members are charged additional monthly dues even after they have attempted to cancel their memberships. L.A. Fitness denies these allegations. We are currently gathering facts in support of these claims. If you have any information concerning L.A. Fitness’ cancellation procedures or practices, please contact Kim Walker toll free at 1-888-891-2289 or 215-875-3000, or by e-mail: info@bm.net. For more information about this case, visit our website www.bergermontague.com.

Berger & Montague, P.C., attorneys are licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania, and some of our attorneys are licensed to practice in additional jurisdictions, including New York, Florida, Delaware, New Jersey, Maryland, Washington, D.C., California and Connecticut. Our firm litigates cases in state and federal courts throughout the United States. On occasions where the firm practices in jurisdictions in which one of our attorneys is not licensed, we associate with that court on a "for that case only" basis and/or associate with locally licensed counsel.

Advertising Material