KLM Airlines / worst customer service

1 United States

I recently booked a flight with KLM to travel from Barcelona to Amsterdam. On the day of my departure my roommate fell extremely ill and I had to rush him to the hospital with an dangerously high fever. Knowing full well I had this flight to catch I departed from the hospital as soon as he was settled into a room and arrived at the airport 33 minutes before my flight. I was behind a couple in line you for about 5 to 10 minutes before I was allowed to check in. Mind you there was only one check in booth open at the time. Because there was now a little less than 30 minutes before my flight I was turned away and told the flight was filled with waitlisted individuals and there was no longer room for myself. I was then directed towards the ticket booth to discuss my options. The woman there told me that even if I was to book a new one way ticket with a different airline my return flight was also no longer valid because of my supposed late arrival for my departure. I was also told that standby on a later flight was not an option for me and then only way I could get to my destination was by paying an extra 276 euro. As I was doing all this I was on the phone with my friend who was also on the same flight and had already checked in and he was telling me how they still have yet to even board the plane and the gate wasn't anywhere near to being open. When I contacted KLM customer service via telephone I was hung up on in the middle of explaining to them my situation with my ill friend. Because of this I suggest that you beware when purchasing a ticket with this company and understand that they put their giant corporation above any customer no matter what.

Tr